JD 300 series - hydro bad ?

weprknarly

Forum Newbie
Threads
looking at buying a 300 series lawn mower.. i think the hyro might be going out. i set the throtle at about 3/4. when i moved the lever forward or reverse, the tractor would not move until the lever was moved at least and inch either way. if i moved it about half way forward, the tractor would start moving.. then increase speed slowly.. at one setting the tractor would move a long at a good clip, but studder. the yard had a short hill to try it on. as the mower went up the hill, the motor did not seem to slow down, but the tractor did.... it sounds like this mower has set or rairly been used for the last 10 + years.. any thoughts or ideas ???

noma

Threads
Welcome aboard hope you enjoy the company around here. How much do they want for the mower depends on price , if low enough you can put some money into it? Some of those hydro can get spend. And maybe it just needs the pump oil change and filter to make it work well again. Well good luck:biggrin:

JimsRepair

Threads
Most of the time with those symptoms the hydrostatic transmission is on it's way to going out.

weprknarly

Forum Newbie
Threads
i agree its going south... but what would do this ? the yard is not that big, the guy bought it new, showed me his invoice.... i grew up with a 140 that was abused by highschool kids for 20+ years and mowed two very large farm lawns... the rear tires would chirp nicely on ashpault while getting the front tires off the ground with a full throttle reverse drop :ashamed:

noma

Threads
Hi
I don't think they are built to be abused , and thing are built to be repaired so there is always parts to be purchased for these things its a throw away world now days. In past years it was build to last forever, now its the cheap $hit from china and other places good luck:licking:

Black Bart

Threads
The first thing I would do is check the oil level if it sat for 10 years it may have leaked the oil out, Seals do dry out when not in use.

Before you start throwing money at it make sure it isn't something simple and cheap to fix. :biggrin: