JD 135 spindles

gatorblade

Threads
I have worked on this stuff a long time, and that kind of wear I have only seen on tractors with bent axles or similar damage. For him to say that this is "normal" is
mind blowing. Is the wear similar on both sides, or just the one side?

It is similar, but one side has a lot more wear than the other. (1/4-inch on one side; 1/8-inch on the other)

tbird

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi

One must be careful on greasing the spindle bearings looking at the bearings you get " sealed bearings and bearings fitted with dust covers" Sealed bearings can not be greased without popping the seal. Once the seal is popped the bearing is damaged and will be destroyed if running for long period in dirty conditions. Bearings with dust covers can be greases but not over greased.

Regards
PJ

Well if you grease the spindles as jd says, they still don't last. We need an exact procedure for greasing or find a better spindle. I greased one spindle 14 pumps before it got tight.......I would say it had no grease. Didn't last much longer either. My mower has 3 spindles.....constantly replacing one or more.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you give me your bearing part number I can have my bearing guy tell me the best one to use.

I was replacing bearings every 100 hours on my cub. He gave me better bearings that lasted over 500 hours.

You cam also get a seal for the top and bottom that helps keep dust out

tbird

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you give me your bearing part number I can have my bearing guy tell me the best one to use.

I was replacing bearings every 100 hours on my cub. He gave me better bearings that lasted over 500 hours.

You cam also get a seal for the top and bottom that helps keep dust out

My jd number is GY21098.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
My jd number is GY21098.

This is the same bearing used in almost every riding mower made.
This I bet is cheaper then jd gets for their bearings. I use this bearing but with the metal seal because it lets grease in.

If your spindles do not have grease fitting you can drill and tap holes and install fittings.

Biggest thing is not to use cheap grade
Use high temp bearing grease. Same as used in a car bearing.
Oregon 45-256 Heavy Duty / Magnum Ball Bearing

image-1926045377.jpg

tbird

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is the same bearing used in almost every riding mower made.
This I bet is cheaper then jd gets for their bearings. I use this bearing but with the metal seal because it lets grease in.

If your spindles do not have grease fitting you can drill and tap holes and install fittings.

Biggest thing is not to use cheap grade
Use high temp bearing grease. Same as used in a car bearing.
Oregon 45-256 Heavy Duty / Magnum Ball Bearing

View attachment 20648

I have never taken a spindle apart, don't know if I could. Was hoping I could get a good replacement spindle. Yes I do have grease fittings on all of the spindles. I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is what I would go with.
They make the best replacement parts.

Replacement Spindle for John Deere GY21098 GY20962 Oregon 82-359

tbird

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is what I would go with.
They make the best replacement parts.

Replacement Spindle for John Deere GY21098 GY20962 Oregon 82-359

That's what I will do. I appreciate your help on this matter. Have a great day.