Issues with Briggs 407777 V-Twin Governor or ??

tdf46

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been struggling for the last couple days with repairing this engine. Note: Engine is from a JD D130 Lawn Tractor and has only 110 hours on it

The initial symptom was the engine wanted to run wide open and seemed to me like it could very easily be over revving to the point of failure. After reading and analyzing on my own, I decided the issue could be the mechanical governor so I removed and disassembled the engine for inspection. From others description of mechanical governor issues; I expected to find broken parts in the crank case. Instead I found what appears to be a perfectly functional mechanical governor.

After reassembly, I still have the over revving and have no control over engine speed with the throttle.

At this point I need a diagram or picture of how the governor linkage springs should be attached to the external governor and throttle brackets/levers.

If someone here could provide that I would be greatly appreciative!

Yes....I have adjusted the mechanical governor per procedure. I believe I have inadvertently messed up where the springs are attached to the linkage though.

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look at/in the carburetor......

tdf46

Forum Newbie
Threads
Governor Fixed

The ISSUE was that the arm that attached (via a clamping mechanism) to the internal mechanical governor shaft was slipping on the shaft. I had to go to a bigger socket wrench to obtain the torque required to get the clamp tightened sufficiently.

Note: Regardless of what you may read otherwise, follow this to get your mechanical governor adjusted.

1) Loosen the clamping bolt so that the clamp will rotate freely on the governor shaft
2) With a 1/4 inch socket, rotate the governor shaft "clockwise" to full stop.
3) While holding the shaft in this position, rotate the throttle closing arm "counter clockwise" on the governor shaft (i.e. close the throttle completely by this action) and tighten the clamp bolt.
Note: This is the bolt that I had to really torque on to get sufficient clamping force
4) Adjustment complete.

I hope this helps someone else. If you don't get that clamp tight enough, it will slip and rotate out of adjustment to where the throttle stays wide open all the time.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wow, that was tidy.