IS700Z with Kaw FS691V engine, sheared bolts that secure engine to frame?

pioneerlion

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / IS700Z with Kaw FS691V engine, sheared bolts that secure engine to frame?
I’ve got a IS700Z (52” deck) with Kaw. FS691V engine, bought in 2016, has ~500 hrs. on it now.

An odd (to me) thing happened yesterday. The 4 bolts that secure the engine to the Ferris ZTR frame - 3 of the bolts are sheared (with bolt stubs still in the threaded portion of the aluminum engine crankcase cover), and 1 bolt is completely missing (or was never originally installed?). Had this happened to any of you?

Background is – while cutting grass a couple days ago, mower drive belt busted (bummer). Disengaged PTO, drove ZTR back to the garage (it drove/moved fine, transmission drive belt fine).

Bought and installed a new mover drive belt. Checked the mower belt idler tensioner spring length, all good (11.3/4”). Started engine, went to move mower out of garage to run at no-load condition for a few minutes to break in the new belt – however – had a problem getting the ZTR to move (only moved VERY slowly). Looked at the transmission drive belt with engine running, appeared to have a lot of ‘slop’. Shut engine off, pulled on the transmission drive belt, definite ‘slop’ in its tension – BUT – when I pulled on the belt, also noticed the engine ‘moved’ slightly (not good). Whaaaat?

Grabbed the engine and found I could move it, so looked under the ZTR and found all 4 bolts that secure the engine to the frame missing.

Briefly considered trying to raise engine end of ZTR and then drilling/tapping the 3 sheared bolt stubs to remove them but more effort required for that than I can currently muster (I’m an old guy).

Took my IS700Z to my closest Ferris sales/service/parts store (not where I bought my Ferris). Explained my problem and asked if they could get the Kaw. Engine secured to the frame again (yes they can). Surprisingly (to me), they said “yeah we’ve seen this a couple times before and have had to remove engine / drill and tap bolt stubs out / install new bolts – and in once instance we had to replace the aluminum engine crankcase cover because the 4 x threaded portions of the cover where the bolts secure the engine to the frame had buggered threads”.
I’ve had this Kawasaki engine on my IS700z. Bought the mower new in 2015. Almost 330 hours. I have not had this problem; but I will sure keep an eye out for it now.

Davenj4f

Threads
I’ve had this Kawasaki engine on my IS700z. Bought the mower new in 2015. Almost 330 hours. I have not had this problem; but I will sure keep an eye out for it now.
I had this happen on a 15 year old 1500z. I have a newer Ferris, my wife uses this older one. I got on it one day and felt a lot of shimmy when I engaged the blades. I use two hoists to raise my mowers for blade change, etc., and when I got it up, I discovered three engine bolts missing, and the fourth bolt at a 45 degree angle, about to fall out. I wondered what was holding the engine in place, and saw that it was the muffler bracket holding the engine in place. The last bolt screwed back in. I had to drill out the other three holes, did not want to take the engine out. I used grade 8 bolts and lock nuts. So far that has worked.
My wife would drive her car with square wheels and not know the difference.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
At least you guys were lucky. I have several JD ZTRs where the mufflers have been broken off due lack of engine bolts.

Note screws needs to be torqued to 43-46 ft-lbs and you should be using serrated flange screws. A little blue Loctite don't hurt either.

And yes sometimes you have resize the mounting holes.