IS3000Z wheel tilt, blade/mulch question

dbrunone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, I'm new here...I recently moved form a 1/8 acre lot to a 3-acre lot, and I bought the Ferris IS3000z from the previous homeowner since he didn't need it anymore. Got a great deal on it, its only 400hrs.

Anyway, issue 1: I noticed when looking at it from the back, that the left rear tire is slightly tilted inward at the top....its noticeable because the inner surface of the tire is closer to the frame than the right tire. I thought it might just be a spring adjustment but the frame is perfectly level on both sides, and the grass cut looks fine. Is this actually an issue? I took the wheel off and it doesnt look like this wheel angle can be adjusted. Pics attached.

Issue/question 2: The previous owner had it set up for side-discharge but that makes my lawn look terrible, sometimes looks like hay spread all over the lawn. It has regular-style blades with the "wings" on the back side. I want to make the lawn look cleaner after cutting. I'd rather not bag if I don't have to....what do I have to do to set up this mower for mulching? Is it even worth it? Do I need mulching blades? It seems my deck only has a side-discharge chute without a flap to block it, and the owners manual mentions mulching but doesn't tell you how to set up the mower for it.

Any help here is appreciated!

0721152010.jpg
0721152010a.jpg
0721152011.jpg

KrashnKraka

Threads
Hey guys, I'm new here...I recently moved form a 1/8 acre lot to a 3-acre lot, and I bought the Ferris IS3000z from the previous homeowner since he didn't need it anymore. Got a great deal on it, its only 400hrs.

Anyway, issue 1: I noticed when looking at it from the back, that the left rear tire is slightly tilted inward at the top....its noticeable because the inner surface of the tire is closer to the frame than the right tire. I thought it might just be a spring adjustment but the frame is perfectly level on both sides, and the grass cut looks fine. Is this actually an issue? I took the wheel off and it doesnt look like this wheel angle can be adjusted.

[pix deleted]

Strewth...! Is that... issat a bent drive axle I am seeing?
How the heck does that get done?

/scratching scone

dbrunone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Strewth...! Is that... issat a bent drive axle I am seeing?
How the heck does that get done?

If it was a bent axle, wouldn't the wheel "wobble" when in motion? It doesn't wobble....I'm almost thinking that Ferris screwed up something in the frame...missed some hole locations by a few millimeters or something...to cause this

gainestruk

Threads
If it was a bent axle, wouldn't the wheel "wobble" when in motion? It doesn't wobble....I'm almost thinking that Ferris screwed up something in the frame...missed some hole locations by a few millimeters or something...to cause this

That's what I'm thinking, when it was put together it wasn't lined up quite right.
It shouldn't be an issue for you, it might wear tire out a little faster on inside, don't drive it on asphalt or concrete surface any more than you have to that would wear tire much faster.

gainestruk

Threads
Forgot about second question, you should be able to get mulching kit from Ferris, when I got it for my Husqvarna z-turn it came with side plug and mulching blades.

I mulch all the time, you need to mow more often for it to get clippings to fall into the grass, if you mow with grass too high it will clump up and leave trail behind you.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Left rear suspension sagging a little?

dbrunone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Left rear suspension sagging a little?

No I don't think so, I measured the frame heights at the rear wheels and it is spot-on what the manual says it should be. Just for giggles I adjusted the left rear spring up and down, and it adjusted the height on that side but did not affect the "tilt" appreciably.

KrashnKraka

Threads
Nope. Shot rims "wobble".
Bent axles and toe in/out just wear tyres unevenly.

I really believe you need to get that wheel off and start measuring
to solve this. Both wheels.
As others have said, check spring lengths also...but it
does not look like sag to me.
However I am 10000Miles away and me "over the horizon" eyes are
getting old :)

AYSKOFI

Forum Newbie
Threads

Anyway, issue 1: I noticed when looking at it from the back, that the left rear tire is slightly tilted inward at the top....its noticeable because the inner surface of the tire is closer to the frame than the right tire. I thought it might just be a spring adjustment but the frame is perfectly level on both sides, and the grass cut looks fine. Is this actually an issue? I took the wheel off and it doesnt look like this wheel angle can be adjusted. Pics attached.

Issue/question 2: The previous owner had it set up for side-discharge but that makes my lawn look terrible, sometimes looks like hay spread all over the lawn. It has regular-style blades with the "wings" on the back side. I want to make the lawn look cleaner after cutting. I'd rather not bag if I don't have to....what do I have to do to set up this mower for mulching? Is it even worth it? Do I need mulching blades? It seems my deck only has a side-discharge chute without a flap to block it, and the owners manual mentions mulching but doesn't tell you how to set up the mower for it.

View attachment 26809
View attachment 26810
View attachment 26811

Probably by now, you have figured out what you need to do to correct the problem. If not, take a close look at picture 26809. Right above the frame you will see a vertical threaded shaft with a jam nut and either a hex or square head on the shaft. Loosen the jam nut and screw the shaft in a clockwise direction. This will raise the suspension on that side of the machine. Screw in in till the wheel is parallel to the frame and re-tighten the jam nut. Mission Accomplished. If my attachment shows up here, look at item #1 on page 44 of the Ferris manual for your machine. If not, Google "5022625_is3000Parts" without the quotes. That should take you to a PDF of the manual.