Export thread

Is your John Deere worth it?

R

ReggieDeere

John Deere is probably the best known, and the most expensive mower on the market. I love mine so much that I am looking to buy a new one. Anybody else think that the price is worth it?

BKBrown

BKBrown

Had a Deere 318 and LOVED it - never a problem -- I understand the new ones at box stores are not so good - I'd talk to the dealer about what you want to use it for and reliability of the models you are thinking about.

It all depends on what your purpose is and your budget - Whatever you decide - make sure it is a reliable dealer with a good service department. :biggrin:

Hand2ThePlow

Hand2ThePlow

Every penny.

M

Muhammad

I think any premium brand is worth the investment---not just John Deere (though we all have our favorites and there's no denying the fact that more JD mowers have been sold than any other... 5 million+ in fact).

Grass ala Mowed

Grass ala Mowed

Second the warning about the big box stores. Many products are made for sale through an authorized dealer network that are designed to a performance specification and then there are those made for sale at the big box store that are designed to a price specification. This is one reason you won't find Stihl products at the big box store. You will see Honda powered equipment at a dealer with a low oil shutdown, but not at the big box and so on.

R

Roger2561

My $0.02 worth - Even if you have spend a bit more for it at a dealer as opposed to the box store, I think it's worth the money because you have a source for parts or at the very least, a human being to complain to if something doesn't go your way. Public Relations are everything to the small dealer, their reputation depends on it. Their mechanic helped my brother and I load into my brother's truck. They ran through the safety features with me (just as the sales person did), made sure the engine and hydraulic oil was fresh and full and a full tank of fresh gas. You don't think you get that kind of service at the box stores. Have a great day. Roger

grnspot110

grnspot110

My $0.02 worth - Even if you have spend a bit more for it at a dealer as opposed to the box store, I think it's worth the money because you have a source for parts or at the very least, a human being to complain to if something doesn't go your way. Public Relations are everything to the small dealer, their reputation depends on it. Their mechanic helped my brother and I load into my brother's truck. They ran through the safety features with me (just as the sales person did), made sure the engine and hydraulic oil was fresh and full and a full tank of fresh gas. You don't think you get that kind of service at the box stores. Have a great day. Roger

Agreed!!! Stick with a reputable dealer! Box stores don't sell parts (other than plugs & some filters). ~~ grnspot110

V

VaughanM

You Bet!

I'm on my third (455) and fifth (2520) JD. Great engineering and superior service in my area. When I'm broken down I trailer the broken machine to the dealer and they let me load on any model (new/used) my trailer will haul away. On the very rare occasion they don't have the part, I pay $10.00 extra and they air freight it in by 10:00 am the next day.

I mow for several properties so I can't be down long.

Pricey, it's an investment.

R

ReggieDeere

Wow, over 5 million John Deere mowers sold? That is amazing, although I should have expected that considering they've been in business since 1837. That's a long time for a company to be around, so you know they're doing something right.:smile:

I think any premium brand is worth the investment---not just John Deere (though we all have our favorites and there's no denying the fact that more JD mowers have been sold than any other... 5 million+ in fact).

B

Bradzilla

Mine is worth it to me. I have a 757 that has been great so far.

After shopping for a ZTR, I decided that there are many high quality brands and mowers in the category that would serve me well. I made the decision to buy the Deere based on the dealership. I bought it from the place in a neighboring town instead of the one closest to me, because I liked them and thought they were the most professional, honest, and helpful of all of the places I spoke with.

I am actually considering buying a garden tractor now too, even though I have a CUT and a ZTR. I am not sure if I really need one but I am trying hard to rationalize that idea. :laughing:

E

exMARK

Yes. The dealership lawn, garden, and compact tractors are made WAY better than the box store branded units. My local ag dealer will not service the box store models. Why? Think about it.

I wanted to purchase a tractor/mower once. So, I got a JD 4100 with belly mower. As my trees grew, I got an eXmark Lazer Z for better maneuvering around the trees. Now, I don't have to unmount the 4100 front end loader just to mow. Best of life yet. Even better if someone would buy my 72" JD mower deck. It's built like a tank, but too wide for my use now!

hunting404

hunting404

Is there a difference between a riding mower bought at a box store and at JD dealer. I mean the mower itself not the service you receive.
Sorry, I asked the question before reading the reply above.
HAGD
Jim

C

Carey Rotary

Is there a difference between a riding mower bought at a box store and at JD dealer. I mean the mower itself not the service you receive.
HAGD
Jim

Both sell similar models but your JD dealer has additional models that are far better quality. Yes they'll cost more but they'll last a lot longer. Check out the gauge of the steel used in the different models. You'll see! The Deere's sold at the big box stores are there because of the name not the quality. Same with Cub Cadet. In my opinion the big box store's Deere, & Cub Cadet are no different than the MTD, Yard Man, Bolens, Troy Bilt etc.

M

mamaA

I wish we had gone with a Deere instead of the Cub we have. But we really didn't have the money at the time we needed a mower. I'm holding out for the GREEN for our next mower purchase though. :thumbsup:

mystreba

mystreba

The thread was about Deere, yet the discussion seems to center around box-stores. Let's see if I have this straight. I buy a JD LA145 at Lowes for $1999, and it is a DIFFERENT MACHINE than the LA145 I buy for $1999 on the JD website? And the JD dealer won't sell me parts for the LA145 I bought at Lowes? This makes no sense to me. Can someone please explain?

Are we maybe saying that folks should forget the box store JD models and step up to a higher-end JD model that can only be purchased at the JD dealer? While this might be advising people to purchase something they don't necessarily need, at least it makes logistical sense.

R

ReggieDeere

You definitely get better quality from a real John Deere dealer. My advice is, spend the extra money. You won't regret owning a real JD mower, It'll last a lifetime.:thumbsup:

HAGD
Jim

J

jimbo64

John Deere is probably the best known, and the most expensive mower on the market. I love mine so much that I am looking to buy a new one. Anybody else think that the price is worth it?
YEP ME----BOUGHT A NEW GT 245 A LOT OF YEARS AGO---$5200 -Have had no probs at all and have over 500 hrs on it-----normal maint ------some good buys on used ones around also

G

Gareth

I love my JD X540 - amazing machine.
I didnt realise how capable it would be until I got a demo - I am a contractor and need something powerful, reliable and that leaves an excellent finish.

One of the guys who works for me used to work for the council grass cutting team and he thinks the cut is nearly as good as the cylinder cutters they used there! Praise indeed!

Well worth that extra money and a great dealer 15 miles away for professional quick service.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I love my JD X540 - amazing machine.
I didnt realise how capable it would be until I got a demo - I am a contractor and need something powerful, reliable and that leaves an excellent finish.

One of the guys who works for me used to work for the council grass cutting team and he thinks the cut is nearly as good as the cylinder cutters they used there! Praise indeed!

Well worth that extra money and a great dealer 15 miles away for professional quick service.
WELL WORTH THE $$$...YOU BET. Super reliability if you buy a model that is engineered for what your needs are. I could have bought a 2 grand JD, but for mowing 5 acres, it wouldn't last.
The great thing about green machines is you can ALWAYS get parts and service. I've got almost 800 hours on my 8 year old 4210. Aside from fluid and filter changes (air, oil, hydro filters) the only part I have had to replace is one fan belt and one cracked pin on the FEL linkage. It still has the OEM mower deck belt and that looks nearly new, and I mow at least 80 hours a year and some of it is 3 foot high weeds.

I paid about 20 grand for my machine when new, there is one like it for sale locally, private owner, and no mid-mount mower. He wants 16 grand for one like mine with the same FEL. A 60 inch 7-Iron deck would add $1500 to the used model price. You show me ANYTHING comparable that is 8 years old that has the same resale value !!

Good Deeres are expensive, but the investment is well worth it in the long run.

Stash

Stash

The thread was about Deere, yet the discussion seems to center around box-stores. Let's see if I have this straight. I buy a JD LA145 at Lowes for $1999, and it is a DIFFERENT MACHINE than the LA145 I buy for $1999 on the JD website? And the JD dealer won't sell me parts for the LA145 I bought at Lowes? This makes no sense to me. Can someone please explain?

Are we maybe saying that folks should forget the box store JD models and step up to a higher-end JD model that can only be purchased at the JD dealer? While this might be advising people to purchase something they don't necessarily need, at least it makes logistical sense.

The LA145 at Lowes is the same LA145 at any JD Dealer or the JD Web site. You can buy parts for any LA145 at any JD Dealer.

J

jross

I use an old J. D 56, 6 hp rider with a Mego Mo system. It will out cut any of the box store stuff and I can easily get parts for it from the local J.D. dealer. I just replaced the original rear wheel bearings.

Attachments

K

KennyV

The LA145 at Lowes is the same LA145 at any JD Dealer or the JD Web site. You can buy parts for any LA145 at any JD Dealer.

I am not sure where or who may have started the XXX model bought at (any) Discount store is different than the exact same XXX model bought at a dealer... BUT that idea has been around for some time. Perhaps started by a dealer's salesman somewhere but just the distribution of such a idea let alone the manufacture and procurement of different but 'identical' assembly parts is quite a stretch...

The same urban myths were circulated during the time that Sam's club first offered automobiles in their stores... There were some that actually believed that it was practical to make a sub standard car just for special distribution through buyers clubs, and that no dealer anywhere would have anything to do with you if you got one...
Silly... but there were some very intelligent people that thought this was a fact... :smile:KennyV

Attachments

J

JasonB

Hi

Yes, My John Deere is worth every Penny to me, and No is was not the Green & Yellow paint that was the reason to go with John Deere. I also run Agco Allis( Simplicity Built mowers) and they are exceptional as well, but I really like a lot of the features on my Deeres as well.

I own a 2007 John Deere X744 AWS with 48" Deck, 24hp Yanmar Diesel engine and I also have a John Deere 455 with 60" deck with the 22hp Yanmar Diesel, AWS as well. Both Diesel mowers are very ecconomical on fuel, very ease to service, They are very comfortable to run, love the tilt steering wheels, and twin touch foot petals, very comfy and enjoyable to run. Dealer support is a huge + for going with Deere, Parts are reasonably priced and Dealer can usually get parts you need the next day! A big plus when your commerically cutting grass. I have an F1145 Deere with 60" deck as well, and have never had any major issues with it.

I got the 2007 Deere X744 AWS this past June to replace a 2002 Kubota F2560 with 60" Rear discharge deck... I bought the Kubota as it had a cab for snow removal and WAS to replace the Deere F1145, But I had issue after issue with it... I know Kubota builds a good product as well, but this F2560 was a lemon, put 4K into the engine, and it still did not run worth a darn, the Rear Discharge deck was a JOKE!! I was currious as to how the rear discharge deck worked, but it did such a poor job cutting, that some of my customers were complaining and soon went back to side discharge with my F1145 Deere, I will NEVER own another Rear Discharge Mower again, reguardless of color. I have been really happy with my Deere mowers and will continue to run them as long as I can.

Take Care Jason B

A

alittle1

I bought a 2 year old 455AWS 10 years ago for just under 10 grand. We put on over 1000 hrs on it and had a few repairs on it, i.e. rear steer hiem joints, alternator, mower spindles, but never anything major. The diesel engine has plenty of power and we mow 7 acres twice a week.

I looked at Kubota as a replacement, but my John Deere just keeps on ticking away and it still looks like new. It was an excellent investment.

On the other hand, my neighbor always drooled over my JD and said he would buy it from me when I wanted to trade it in or sell. He couldn't wait for me, so he went out and bought a big box store John Deere. He was all smiles for the first couple of weeks until the rains got our grass up to a foot high. Him and I met out in 'the back 40' where we have about 3 acres a piece, we both put the hammer down and proceeded to cut. My 455 was doing full 54 inch cuts with 3/4 throttle with the cruise on, wheel tilted back, sipping on a lemonade, just enjoying the cut. He started off doing full cuts and clogging up, and then went to half cuts, full throttle, humped over the wheel, pumping the pedal every time he came to the clover patches. At one point we were side by side going down a row, I looked over at him, gave a little wave and put the hammer down and left him sitting stupid.

We don't talk much about mowers anymore. He leaves real early in the morning with his mower on the back of his trailer to take it in for repairs two or three times a year and its gone for two or three days while they repair it. I'll pull in to his patch and cut an acre or two of the front yard to keep up appearances for the neighborhood, but he still whines to the other neighbors that he wants my mower when I'm done.

The fool could have a new one today if he only went down to the JD Dealer and paid the money for piece of mind. As for me, I think I'll go out and put another coat of wax on my 455, makes her look purdy.

U

Usedtorent

My dad is a John Deere man and he loves and swears by his lawnmowers and tractors. We wanted to buy a Johnnie but they were out of our budget. I would say it's worth every penny too, if I had enough pennies to by one.

J

JD Man

I have a 777 z-track 72"; 729 4 wheel steer/drive; X320; X340; and of course, 4720. All worth it. The 729 for sweeping and blowing snow. The x's for business lawns, the 777 for around the house (about 19 acres) and the 4720 for farming. I also have an x-7....but that really doesn't count....it's a brush hog....but of course a JD brush hog.:wink:

4jd318

WELL WORTH THE $$$...YOU BET. Super reliability if you buy a model that is engineered for what your needs are. I could have bought a 2 grand JD, but for mowing 5 acres, it wouldn't last.
The great thing about green machines is you can ALWAYS get parts and service. I've got almost 800 hours on my 8 year old 4210. Aside from fluid and filter changes (air, oil, hydro filters) the only part I have had to replace is one fan belt and one cracked pin on the FEL linkage. It still has the OEM mower deck belt and that looks nearly new, and I mow at least 80 hours a year and some of it is 3 foot high weeds.

I paid about 20 grand for my machine when new, there is one like it for sale locally, private owner, and no mid-mount mower. He wants 16 grand for one like mine with the same FEL. A 60 inch 7-Iron deck would add $1500 to the used model price. You show me ANYTHING comparable that is 8 years old that has the same resale value !!

Good Deeres are expensive, but the investment is well worth it in the long run.

I take issue with the "you can always get paarts. JD is discontinuing parts right and left. I think it will come back to bite them.
gp

H

Hoss

John Deere is what I plan on upgrading to. I have heard nothing but good things about them for as long as I can remember, and I never heard of a JD recall. They're top shelf.

T

Texas Turtle

I purchased my L130 from Brookside Equipment, the biggest JD dealer in the Houston area. I specifically asked the salesman what was the best mower I could purchase to mow 3 acres and he said the L130. I then asked if the unit he was showing me in the showroom was different from the one I could buy at Home Depot for $200 less and he told me they were the same. I bought the thing and figured paying the extra bucks would help me get it serviced when it needed it. When I took it in the first time, the service manager looked at it and said "Who sold you that POS?" He said it was a cheapie made to compete with Craftsman and Murray. When I told him I bought it there, he just shook his head and said he would call me when he was through. Three sets of spindles, two front axles, 6 pulleys, a wiring harness and a transaxle later, I ran out of warranty and now do it myself. For $2500, I should have bought something else.

lizard

lizard

John Deere are a very good product......but they also have a high price tag compared to others.
If you have plenty of money....then yes i would recomend these tractors.......as I have had a lot of them including Harvesters.
They are ahead of their time in the old days.......really bullet proof.:licking:

B

brucesdeere

I love mine and would buy another in a heartbeat. I love the quality, the durability and the service you get from them. In my opinion, you get what you pay for.

M

mois25

John Deere is a reputable model. I do not own one but my neighbor's is indeed worth it. It has been around for a while and the few times I have had my hands on it, it is still going strong.

lizard

lizard

John Deere are definately worth buying......you have a work horse for Life!:rolleyes:

M

marc

I am thing about buying a used John deere L-110 WITH 210 hours AND HDROSTATIC EQUIPTED
to cut 5 sandy bumpy acres of bahia grass.
Is it worth it or not good for Hydo . I was told it was for finishing moving (golf grass)
not fields. My Craftsman 44" has always done the job well until cultch screw viberated off.

lizard

lizard

I am thing about buying a used John deere L-110 WITH 210 hours AND HDROSTATIC EQUIPTED
to cut 5 sandy bumpy acres of bahia grass.
Is it worth it or not good for Hydo . I was told it was for finishing moving (golf grass)
not fields. My Craftsman 44" has always done the job well until cultch screw viberated off.

Best to buy a older and bigger size.......new ones are not as good........Nothing beats a 'Old Johnny'....A 1,000 hours is nothing for these older machines.:thumbsup:

K

KennyV

The John Deere L-110 is definitely a light duty machine not going to hold up like an older heavy mower...
I agree with lizard shop for an older better built... Your application is going to be a workout on whatever you get... :smile:KennyV

PS... being as that it is 5 acres of 'bumpy sandy' ... you should try a drag of some type to help level it out, that will make it easier to mow and save future beatings on you and the machine...

lizard

lizard

Might be better to get a small tractor and pull a slasher which cuts 6 feet wide........these things are nearly indestuctable......so maybe have a rethink.........so models even have a roller behind the rotary cutters.:licking:

J

jenkinsph

The John Deere L-110 is definitely a light duty machine not going to hold up like an older heavy mower...
I agree with lizard shop for an older better built... Your application is going to be a workout on whatever you get... :smile:KennyV

PS... being as that it is 5 acres of 'bumpy sandy' ... you should try a drag of some type to help level it out, that will make it easier to mow and save future beatings on you and the machine...

^^^^^Good advice.
I have heard of lots of posters commenting on rough or bumpy lawns in the lawn and tractor forums. I t just makes sense to fix the lawns problems to me, I have an 8' landplane graderbox I use for this purpose to smooth out the lawn areas before seeding. In addition these can be used effectively to cut off small mounds and bumps without destroying the existing lawn. You will have some shaved or planed areas to reseed but typically if the blades are set even with the skids as mine are it will leave marks which will grow back with in two months. I have done this for a few customers who had overall good grass growth but need some smoothing old ant hills, gopher mounds and such.

Rough sites may require boxblading, tilling and landleveling but it is definately best to do all the smoothing you can at the outset before you seed a new lawn area. My new X749 rides smoothly across the lawns that have been prepared, so this is a good way to reduce your mowing time.

Pictured is a custom landplane grader I built to smooth out lawn areas.

grnspot110

grnspot110

Nah, wouldn't have one on the place! Dozen , maybe, but not just one! :biggrin: I'm partial to the older models. ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

A

appstate

Yes it is. My x495 is one heck of a machine. It's the first JD i've owned, and is far superiour to anything else I've used.

Kingwood990

Kingwood990

My X520 was worth it.
I went from one of the worst looking yards in the area to the best looking one.
Also this is the highest quality machine I have owned. The fit and finish is excellent and so is the cut.

valley

valley

I just got on this site today. What I have found to be true is ,if you buy from an John Deere dealer
rather than an big outlet store,you will be buying a lot better machine. Yes it will cost you more,but it will be built better than from an outlet store.Then have the machines built to their standards so they can sell them cheaper and sell a lot of them. it boils down to you get what you pay for!I bought my Deere from a deere dealer,it was used but a very good machine. if you can,you would be better off buying from a dealer as the mower will be built to John Deere standards. just my humble opion.

Bison

Bison

I bought my first JD 112 lawntractor used for $50 in 96,not because it was Deere,but because it was cheap.It turned out to be a good tractor cause it never failed to cut my 3 acre lawn but once(blew engine) in 14 years of mowing.
I bought the sec JD 112 last fall as parts tractor for $500,it came with a spare engine, tiller and snow blower.
But i decided to restore it instead.$150 later i got now 2 good running tractors for total investment of $ 700.(not included repairs and maintenance on no 1)I do all the fixing myself.

Was it worth it??,....i let you decide:smile:

BTW i will never lay out money for any brand new tractor! Big or small...Never did,...never will.:wink:

M

Muhammad

Wow, sounds like you got a nice deal... only $150 to restore? I assume it was just a superficial restoration?

Bison

Bison

Depends on what you call "restore"
I restore to "in good running/working order".
Fix and paint as needed

Attachments

twall

twall

.......BTW i will never lay out money for any brand new tractor! Big or small...Never did,...never will.:wink:

I 100% agree! :smile:

After all, the first time you mow with it, becomes used anyway......:wink:

BTW, nice job on that hood!

WELCOME!:biggrin:

valley

valley

Wow Bison,you sure got your moneys worth out of that mower and then some.
They are good mowers.

Gil

Gil

The "Green" will pay off in years to come. Grew up on a farm and John Deere was by far the main tractor brand for all the neighbors. With "Red" a distance second. ("Red" was Farmall/International). When retired and returned to the farm purchased a used John Deere 2030 tractor. It is now almost 30 years old and still running great. Paid more for it used 10 years ago than it cost new. Have owned 3 JD riding mowers. In upgrading have sold 2 of them. Got a good price at sale due to the "Green". Yes, they cost more but hold their value. Buy from a dealer, not "big box" store. Much better quality. For instance "big box" mowers do not have grease fittings for the blade spindles.

P

pooquer

I purchased my John from a dealer, my "one-up" bought one from a big box store the next summer. His is gone after 2 years, mine is still running strong after 9 yr's!

Bison

Bison

The "Green" will pay off in years to come. Grew up on a farm and John Deere was by far the main tractor brand for all the neighbors. With "Red" a distance second. ("Red" was Farmall/International). When retired and returned to the farm purchased a used John Deere 2030 tractor. It is now almost 30 years old and still running great. Paid more for it used 10 years ago than it cost new. Have owned 3 JD riding mowers. In upgrading have sold 2 of them. Got a good price at sale due to the "Green". Yes, they cost more but hold their value. Buy from a dealer, not "big box" store. Much better quality. For instance "big box" mowers do not have grease fittings for the blade spindles.

Neither do the better build older JD's,i know mine don't.:wink:

I can't share your view on JD being the best for the money.They might have a higher trade in value but cost more to start with when new than most other brands,so you got more money locked in.JD Parts are trough the roof as well.

I started farming in 86 and bought a 72 Cockshutt 1855 for $3500 ,i'm still farming with it today.Bought a sec 1855 14 yrs ago for $3250.Both these are my main tractors on my 1800 acre ranch.
I have had minimal repairs with these over the years.They are worth double today what i paid.

I also have a 78 Belarus 800 loader tractor i bought used in 86 for 5 grand, i put 10.000 hrs on it since and use it daily for feeding.It was/is a good tractor,now it aint worth nothing anymore but i don't care.It can serve as parts tractor for the 93 belarus 925 with only 740 hrs on it i just bought last month for $4000.

Try to duplicate that with JD,heck one has to shell out at least 6-7 grand for a worn out 4020 today.

The only green on my yard are the 2 lawn tractors

K

KennyV

[/B]

I can't share your view on JD being the best for the money.They might have a higher trade in value but cost more to start with when new than most other brands,so you got more money locked in.JD Parts are trough the roof as well.

I started farming in 86 and bought a 72 Cockshutt 1855 for $3500 ,i'm still farming with it today.Bought a sec 1855 14 yrs ago for $3250.Both these are my main tractors on my 1800 acre ranch.
I have had minimal repairs with these over the years.They are worth double today what i paid.

I also have a 78 Belarus 800 loader tractor i bought used in 86 for 5 grand, i put 10.000 hrs on it since and use it daily for feeding.It was/is a good tractor,now it aint worth nothing anymore but i don't care.It can serve as parts tractor for the 93 belarus 925 with only 740 hrs on it i just bought last month for $4000.

Try to duplicate that with JD,heck one has to shell out at least 6-7 grand for a worn out 4020 today.

Moving this thread a 'little' away from Green ...
Those Cockshutt tractors are tough good AG machines... can't seem to break them... They use to be very popular with the built up competition puller tractors...

Are there many of the Russian tractors up there, I have read that they are a Dependable and Durable Line,
But I have never been up close to them or known anyone around here that owned one... :smile:KennyV

Bison

Bison

Ah,we've got to give the green some competition here.:wink:

No,there ain't to many around,to few dealers left too.
The tractors weren't the problem,but the lack of knowledge about them was.

Here is one tough 75 hp belarus,my old feed tractor.She never complaints :thumbsup:
3000 LB on the front,3000 lb on the rear.

Attachments

JDgreen

JDgreen

[/B]

The way I look at the issue is, can you still get parts for a '72 Cockshutt or '78 Belarus today? :confused2: Odds are, you can still get parts for a '72 JD...to me and many others that point is worth a lot.

Bison

Bison

The way I look at the issue is, can you still get parts for a '72 Cockshutt or '78 Belarus today? :confused2: Odds are, you can still get parts for a '72 JD...to me and many others that point is worth a lot.
Yes you still can get most parts for these brands,i would say on par with JD.

JDgreen

JDgreen

Yes you still can get most parts for these brands,i would say on par with JD.

Maybe I should have clarified the issue more, I meant near-next-day parts availability. There are a lot of online sources of parts for older and obsolete tractors but I am not aware if they give prompt delivery...if I was mistaken, my apologies. To be honest, I thought Cockshutt stopped producing tractors back in the 60's...

K

KennyV

I thought Cockshutt stopped producing tractors back in the 60's...

They also stopped making Minneapolis-Moline in the early 60... but parts are still available. The rears are still very popular in Tractor Pulling...:thumbsup:
I can not remember the time I had to have any tractor part the nest day, let alone the same day... Even during planting or harvest seasons.:wink:
Now if your using your tractor for aerial emergency/rescue and had a breakdown in flight... then you might want your parts now... but I think most of us can get by with "whenever they get here".:laughing:
Even Cat with the best world wide parts distribution availability, will not have all parts everywhere.

Heck ... with some of my restoration projects, if the parts get here Next Year, its most likely going to be TOO SOON... :smile:KennyV

twall

twall

I can get parts for my '85 Snapper walk - behind, and chances are, anything I want is in stock (maint. / common items like blades, belts, drive disks, etc) and specialty items like the gas tank for my '91 LT1241 or the diff for my walk behind, can be had in a week. Just like JD parts.

As far as JD parts go, I asked about parts for my JD R72, and they had precious little stuff - and what they had was NOS, and when that's gone, it's gone. They laughed at me when I asked what else could be had. THAT mower is an '85, as well........Ditto for my '93 JD 14SB walk-behind, except they sold off all the NOS stuff, and they have no more....:frown:

But, Snapper is a premium brand, comparable to JD prices, to the point of this thread.

It's worth it if you think it is, no matter what someone else says.......

Bison

Bison

Maybe I should have clarified the issue more, I meant near-next-day parts availability. There are a lot of online sources of parts for older and obsolete tractors but I am not aware if they give prompt delivery...if I was mistaken, my apologies. To be honest, I thought Cockshutt stopped producing tractors back in the 60's...
Have you been at the JD dealer lately?? The store is packed to the rafters with lawn tractors and attachments.....And....JD.toys of any kind. :rolleyes:

For the farmer!..:confused2:
They got nothing in stock for any farm tractor older than 10 years,only some filters and belts plus maybe some high failure items.
Chances are they most likely have to order it in.common items a week(if you're lucky enough they order you the right part first time around) :tongue:,not so common,can take up to 3 months.(BACK ORDER):wink:
Older than 1980!,a lot of parts are obsolete :eek:,the wrecker yard is your only source.:frown:
Overnight delivery is a thing of the past,ever since they use computers it went down hill :rolleyes:

I do a lot of fixing for neighbors with JD,so i have first hand experience. 3 dealers in the area

JDgreen

JDgreen

Have you been at the JD dealer lately?? The store is packed to the rafters with lawn tractors and attachments.....And....JD.toys of any kind. :rolleyes:

For the farmer!..:confused2:
They got nothing in stock for any farm tractor older than 10 years,only some filters and belts plus maybe some high failure items.
Chances are they most likely have to order it in.common items a week(if you're lucky enough they order you the right part first time around) :tongue:,not so common,can take up to 3 months.(BACK ORDER):wink:
Older than 1980!,a lot of parts are obsolete :eek:,the wrecker yard is your only source.:frown:
Overnight delivery is a thing of the past,ever since they use computers it went down hill :rolleyes:

I do a lot of fixing for neighbors with JD,so i have first hand experience. 3 dealers in the area

My JD dealer has 6 locations in the mid Michigan area, which is farm country. They sell a LOT of farm type tractors.

Bison

Bison

My JD dealer has 6 locations in the mid Michigan area, which is farm country. They sell a LOT of farm type tractors.
Yes,our dealers too,lots of brandnew shiny green tractors ,combines and other implements on the yard.

But no parts for older stuff.:confused2:

jd335

jd335

john deere is the only mower that will be mowing my grass as long as im around to me there is no comparison when it comes to performance and reliebility and over the years @some point and time i have used alot of different mowers and nothing compares to my deere.

Bison

Bison

john deere is the only mower that will be mowing my grass as long as im around to me there is no comparison when it comes to performance and reliebility and over the years @some point and time i have used alot of different mowers and nothing compares to my deere.
I agree:thumbsup:.
But the old ones are better build than the new ones

jd335

jd335

I agree:thumbsup:.
But the old ones are better build than the new ones
yea your so right but show me any kind of machine that was not better 20 years ago than they are now.

Bison

Bison

yea your so right but show me any kind of machine that was not better 20 years ago than they are now.
Let me think...Hmmm.....eh.......jeez,..that's a hard one!!...eh.....:confused2:.....I give up! :wink:

S

suebee

I'm not sure. I have a JD L120 I bougth at the big orange box store for less than $2000 in 2005 that just developed problems last year. It was roughly used to clear pasture land to make my yard and even cut multiforal roses beautifully. The only problem was that it took about 8 hours to mow 3+ acres of bumpy yard with multiple slopes.

We decided to go to a dealer and describe the yard and buy what ever they recommeded. We paid $8000 plus for a commercial ztrac recommended by the JD dealer. The first year it was wonderful! Second year it started spending more time at the dealer being repaired instead of mowing. The third year we never could mow with it as after 10 mins. it would stop working. I think the 3rd year we paid $4000 on repairs. At the beginning of the 4th year we put it up for sale at a Kuboto Dealer and were fortunately someone bought it. Within 2 weeks, he returned it and bought a Kuboto.

When the ztrac was sent in for repairs, JD continued to say it was my fault it kept breaking. I am a very slow and careful mower and never hit anything while mowing. I called JD Corporation and was rudely insulted by a representative when I asked why the ztrac never worked.

Just for information it cost me $150 to $200 to have someone mow my yard 1 time. Now I am looking to buy a new mower/garden tractor and have been researching every mower available and have found that all of them have folks that love them and ones that hate them. I don't know what to buy now so I am pushing as much of the yard as I can without passing out. Oh well good luck!:confused2:

Bison

Bison

Only thing i can say is to find a seventies build JD and fix it up.
These things are build like a tank.
I got a 72 JD 112 i've mowed my ROUGH 3 acre lawn( average time spend to mow it 1 1/2 hr) with for the last 15 years with very few repairs.
Heck,it was already 26 years old when i bought it :eek: paid 50 bux for it.:wink:
I just bought a second 112 2 years youner as spare,has 3 attachments for $500.
I can do a looooot of fixing before i hit $8000.

The new stuff is just not up to par anymore,not any brand for any price :thumbdown:

JDgreen

JDgreen

I'm not sure. I have a JD L120 I bougth at the big orange box store for less than $2000 in 2005 that just developed problems last year. It was roughly used to clear pasture land to make my yard and even cut multiforal roses beautifully. The only problem was that it took about 8 hours to mow 3+ acres of bumpy yard with multiple slopes.

We decided to go to a dealer and describe the yard and buy what ever they recommeded. We paid $8000 plus for a commercial ztrac recommended by the JD dealer. The first year it was wonderful! Second year it started spending more time at the dealer being repaired instead of mowing. The third year we never could mow with it as after 10 mins. it would stop working. I think the 3rd year we paid $4000 on repairs. At the beginning of the 4th year we put it up for sale at a Kuboto Dealer and were fortunately someone bought it. Within 2 weeks, he returned it and bought a Kuboto.

When the ztrac was sent in for repairs, JD continued to say it was my fault it kept breaking. I am a very slow and careful mower and never hit anything while mowing. I called JD Corporation and was rudely insulted by a representative when I asked why the ztrac never worked.

Just for information it cost me $150 to $200 to have someone mow my yard 1 time. Now I am looking to buy a new mower/garden tractor and have been researching every mower available and have found that all of them have folks that love them and ones that hate them. I don't know what to buy now so I am pushing as much of the yard as I can without passing out. Oh well good luck!:confused2:

"Kuboto"? Kuboto dealer"? Am I missing something here? Makes me think of the motocross race I attended some time ago where the announcer kept raving about the lime green "Kowalski" cycles that were winning the races....:laughing:

JDgreen

JDgreen

I got a 72 JD 112 i've mowed my ROUGH 3 acre lawn( average time spend to mow it 1 1/2 hr) with for the last 15 years with very few repairs.
Heck,it was already 26 years old when i bought it :eek: paid 50 bux for it.:wink:

The new stuff is just not up to par anymore,not any brand for any price :thumbdown:

Well said..."slap it together fast, slap it together cheap, and raise the price to make up for that"....

mystreba

mystreba

O. M. G. Push?! That must be like my remodeling projects. By the time I reach the far end of the room, the near end needs remodeling again!

S

suebee

Pushing my yard will be a test of my will power and stamina. I should only take me all summer to get caught up and the yard he same length.:laughing:

A friend of mine knew the owner of the Kubota Dealership and asked if I could place the mower for sale on his lot. He was willing and sold it within 2 weeks. I was ready to put it out of it's misery so am glad it sold.

I was fortunate that a friend of mine looked at the JD L120 which I have not been able to start this season and said it was the fuel pump and is going to fix it for me tomorrow. I should be able to mow with it tomorrow.

I really need to by a new mower but I can't committ myself to buying a mower. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. I am looking at the JD 320, JD 500, Husqvarna and cub cadet. The John Deere are at a local dealer and run $4000 to $5000 respectively. The Husqvarna is $3000. Help!

mystreba

mystreba

Pushing my yard will be a test of my will power and stamina. I should only take me all summer to get caught up and the yard he same length.:laughing:

A friend of mine knew the owner of the Kubota Dealership and asked if I could place the mower for sale on his lot. He was willing and sold it within 2 weeks. I was ready to put it out of it's misery so am glad it sold.

I was fortunate that a friend of mine looked at the JD L120 which I have not been able to start this season and said it was the fuel pump and is going to fix it for me tomorrow. I should be able to mow with it tomorrow.

I really need to by a new mower but I can't committ myself to buying a mower. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. I am looking at the JD 320, JD 500, Husqvarna and cub cadet. The John Deere are at a local dealer and run $4000 to $5000 respectively. The Husqvarna is $3000. Help!

You and I are in the same boat. I'm waffling on what to get - wavering between the X320 and the D170. But from my experience (and maybe someone can correct me here), stay away from the Husq. You've got too much work for that machine.

I was looking at used machines, but your story makes me realize that I need to buy new!

Bison

Bison

I really need to by a new mower but I can't committ myself to buying a mower. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. I am looking at the JD 320, JD 500, Husqvarna and cub cadet. The John Deere are at a local dealer and run $4000 to $5000 respectively. The Husqvarna is $3000. Help![/QUOTE]

I didn't think i wrote my reply in yin pin,did i ? :confused2:
My reply to your first one i think it was/is sound advice:wink:

But if you're h3ll bend on spending an other 5 grand or more on a new mower a 1/4 the quality of the older ones ,go ahead,it's your money!...:tongue:

S

suebee

Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on what to look for and what to avoid? As a mechanic I am pretty limited and would not know how to do anything but change a battery and the oil. I don't know what hp to look for and other things that make a mower worth having. Help.:smile:

Bison

Bison

Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on what to look for and what to avoid? As a mechanic I am pretty limited and would not know how to do anything but change a battery and the oil. I don't know what hp to look for and other things that make a mower worth having. Help.:smile:
Oh boy,if you are not mechanicly inclined at all,your choices are fairly limited what ever you buy, the dealers are gonna bleed you dry
i got only experience with the JD 112 which has a 12 HP single cilinder kohler.It has plenty power for a mower and is considdered the best of the kolhlers.There are others equally good though.
Considder looking in this site
Weekend Freedom Machines

It deals strictly with Jd Lawn tractors ,lots of restores and users there,lots of knowledge about the older ones.And there are good tractors for sale as well for a fraction of the new price.

Hope this helps

S

suebee

Oh boy,if you are not mechanicly inclined at all,your choices are fairly limited what ever you buy, the dealers are gonna bleed you dry
i got only experience with the JD 112 which has a 12 HP single cilinder kohler.It has plenty power for a mower and is considdered the best of the kolhlers.There are others equally good though.
Considder looking in this site
Weekend Freedom Machines

It deals strictly with Jd Lawn tractors ,lots of restores and users there,lots of knowledge about the older ones.And there are good tractors for sale as well for a fraction of the new price.

Hope this helps

Thanks! I will check out the website. One of the reasons I haven't bought yet is I am worried about being bled dry by the dealers or buying one from the box stores and it not working. I have almost come to the thought process of---If I buy from a box store and it breaks in 2-3 years then I can buy another from the box store and still not have spent what the dealers want. I am sooo confused!

mystreba

mystreba

Thanks! I will check out the website. One of the reasons I haven't bought yet is I am worried about being bled dry by the dealers or buying one from the box stores and it not working. I have almost come to the thought process of---If I buy from a box store and it breaks in 2-3 years then I can buy another from the box store and still not have spent what the dealers want. I am sooo confused!

Trust me, with the amount of property you have, a box-store rider won't work. If you get distracted or it rains for an extended period and your grass gets over 5", you'll be stopping after every pass to clear a clogged deck while giving French lessons to all the kids in the neighborhood.

H

hr2033

In my limited experience, no, it was not worth purchasing a John Deere.

In 2004 I bought a new LT180 from Ritchie Tractor in Maryville, TN for $3500. Ritchie is the local JD dealer. The unit I purchased was not one sold by the big box stores.

I used the LT180 only for cutting my yard, which covers about 1/2 acre. Each season I log about 10 hours on the LT180. At the end of the 2008 season (5th season with this mower), it began to go slower, especially on an incline. At this point, I had about 52 hours on the machine. When I started cutting in the spring of 2009, it got worse very quickly, to the point were I could only cut about 300 sq ft of level ground before it would go no further.

I took it back to Ritchie Tracker where I purchased it. They confirmed that a new transmission was required. (It should be noted that all scheduled maintenance has been performed even more often than required and at this time there were only 60 hours on the LT180.) Ritchie told me the charge to replace the transmission would be over $900. Obviously, I was less than happy considering that there were less than 60 hours on my LT180 and the dealer made no offer to offset the full cost. They said I could try to contact John Deere corp for support. Yet when I asked for the contact info, they would not provide it. (I half way expected them to say "I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you.") After pointing out the absurdity of this, another person at Ritchie agreed to contact the JD rep and provide them with my contact info. Over the next week, I had to make a couple of more follow up calls to the dealer before the JD rep called me back. After much discussion, they agreed to provide a credit of $300 toward cost of a new tranny, as long as it was done at that JD dealer. So the net cost to me was about $600.

My LT180 has a 48" deck and hydrostatic tranny and cost $3500. My neighbor bought a mower of a different brand with 48" deck and hydrostatic tranny at a cost of $1500. He has had no issues, uses his much more than I use mine, and let me borrow his for the month mine was at the dealer getting the tranny replaced. In hind sight, I made a large mistake buying this Deere.

After much investigation following my initial problems, I found that the Tuff Torq 46 tranny used in the LT, and other lines was not up to the task. It could be that other models without the TT46, may be fine. However, the totally unacceptable experience with Deere precludes me from ever taking a chance with them again. My advice to those who want a Deere is not to buy one with the Tuff Torq 46 tranny or from a dealer where you cannot get good references from someone who has experienced an adverse situation. After all, everyone's nice until there is a problem.

Good luck

K

KennyV

... They said I could try to contact John Deere corp for support. Yet when I asked for the contact info, they would not provide it. ...

This is not a good position for any retail outlet to take..
Anytime you purchase equipment you should be able to contact someone up stream of the local dealer...

Bad experiences will happen from time to time, If handled 'fairly' it can be a plus for a manufacturer and an outlet dealership...
60 hours is rather poor performance... it equates to OVER $58 per hour...not counting down time costs ...
O can see why you are less than enthusiastic... :smile:KennyV

M

meguell3

Hey man, FYI on your tranny, all you had to do was drain the oil, bleed the air, and add a mixture of AMSOIL Stabilizer and AMSOIL Synthetic 30 Weight oil. I had the exact same problem, same transmission and everything, the dealer said the same thing to me, I looked at it did that and it works perfect, that was 10 years ago, ,still going strong. You were taken advantage of bud.
In my limited experience, no, it was not worth purchasing a John Deere.

In 2004 I bought a new LT180 from Ritchie Tractor in Maryville, TN for $3500. Ritchie is the local JD dealer. The unit I purchased was not one sold by the big box stores.

I used the LT180 only for cutting my yard, which covers about 1/2 acre. Each season I log about 10 hours on the LT180. At the end of the 2008 season (5th season with this mower), it began to go slower, especially on an incline. At this point, I had about 52 hours on the machine. When I started cutting in the spring of 2009, it got worse very quickly, to the point were I could only cut about 300 sq ft of level ground before it would go no further.

I took it back to Ritchie Tracker where I purchased it. They confirmed that a new transmission was required. (It should be noted that all scheduled maintenance has been performed even more often than required and at this time there were only 60 hours on the LT180.) Ritchie told me the charge to replace the transmission would be over $900. Obviously, I was less than happy considering that there were less than 60 hours on my LT180 and the dealer made no offer to offset the full cost. They said I could try to contact John Deere corp for support. Yet when I asked for the contact info, they would not provide it. (I half way expected them to say "I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you.") After pointing out the absurdity of this, another person at Ritchie agreed to contact the JD rep and provide them with my contact info. Over the next week, I had to make a couple of more follow up calls to the dealer before the JD rep called me back. After much discussion, they agreed to provide a credit of $300 toward cost of a new tranny, as long as it was done at that JD dealer. So the net cost to me was about $600.

My LT180 has a 48" deck and hydrostatic tranny and cost $3500. My neighbor bought a mower of a different brand with 48" deck and hydrostatic tranny at a cost of $1500. He has had no issues, uses his much more than I use mine, and let me borrow his for the month mine was at the dealer getting the tranny replaced. In hind sight, I made a large mistake buying this Deere.

After much investigation following my initial problems, I found that the Tuff Torq 46 tranny used in the LT, and other lines was not up to the task. It could be that other models without the TT46, may be fine. However, the totally unacceptable experience with Deere precludes me from ever taking a chance with them again. My advice to those who want a Deere is not to buy one with the Tuff Torq 46 tranny or from a dealer where you cannot get good references from someone who has experienced an adverse situation. After all, everyone's nice until there is a problem.

Good luck

JDgreen

JDgreen

Hey man, FYI on your tranny, all you had to do was drain the oil, bleed the air, and add a mixture of AMSOIL Stabilizer and AMSOIL Synthetic 30 Weight oil. I had the exact same problem, same transmission and everything, the dealer said the same thing to me, I looked at it did that and it works perfect, that was 10 years ago, ,still going strong. You were taken advantage of bud.

Interesting fix, want to inform us exactly WHAT this procedure does to remedy the transmission problem?

"The dealer said the same thing to me...." which was? Open to interpretation, did the dealer tell you about the fix? Or what did the dealer say?

If it wasn't the dealer, who told you about the fix? Your post apparently means well but is somewhat garbled, and lacking details.

J

joe gremlin

If you've got 3+ acres of bumpy and hilly terrain to mow, you shouldn't be looking at a mower, you should be looking at a tractor or a SCUT IMHO. For a property that size, you're going to have trouble getting any mower from any manufaturer to hold up in the long run. Yes its a much bigger investment. Better to spend $15k on something will last 20 years or more than $5k on something that will only last 5 years at best IMHO.

Deere, Cub, Kabota and New Holland all produce diesel sub compact tractors that that will handle that job quite well and should last 20 years doing it if you take care of them properly. And they give you the option of easily adding things like a loader (once you have one, you won't know how you lived without it) or numerous 3pt impliments. Trying to do it with a mower, even a name brand $5k unit, is just asking for headaches IMO.

Carl Bert

Carl Bert

The LA145 is the same machine whether you buy it at Lowes or John Deere. Both are a waste of your hard earned money. What John Deere did was sell out to the BB stores by manufacturing a very poor quality line of tractors, along with Cub Cadet and Troy built. They have been doing this for many years, but they used to be called Scotts and Sabre (built by JD). Now they decided to take it one step further by using the John Deere name and color. Some John Deere dealers carry them, mine will not.

I don't blame JD for doing this, hey thats why they are in business, to make money. I just wish they would have left it at Scotts or Sabre and not used the JD name and color. You have to admire Kubota for not doing the same. At least when you buy a Kubota, you know what you're buying.

J

jenkinsph

If you've got 3+ acres of bumpy and hilly terrain to mow, you shouldn't be looking at a mower, you should be looking at a tractor or a SCUT IMHO. For a property that size, you're going to have trouble getting any mower from any manufaturer to hold up in the long run. Yes its a much bigger investment. Better to spend $15k on something will last 20 years or more than $5k on something that will only last 5 years at best IMHO.

Deere, Cub, Kabota and New Holland all produce diesel sub compact tractors that that will handle that job quite well and should last 20 years doing it if you take care of them properly. And they give you the option of easily adding things like a loader (once you have one, you won't know how you lived without it) or numerous 3pt impliments. Trying to do it with a mower, even a name brand $5k unit, is just asking for headaches IMO.

I agree with Joe for the most part, further I suggest you fix the bumpy lawn. Smoothing the lawn out will greatly decrease the mowing time and it will look much better too. I use a landplane to cut off the mounds on lawns and fill in the depressions. Then reseed and drag with a harrow.

If you smooth out your lawn you can get by with a less expensive mowing rig.

zoomerii

zoomerii

I agree with Joe for the most part, further I suggest you fix the bumpy lawn. Smoothing the lawn out will greatly decrease the mowing time and it will look much better too. I use a landplane to cut off the mounds on lawns and fill in the depressions. Then reseed and drag with a harrow.

If you smooth out your lawn you can get by with a less expensive mowing rig.

Got to agree with jenkinsph here. When I bought our house on 5 acres in 2003 I new I would need a small tractor to work the land, but I just didn't have the funds (don't like borrowing money for these type of things). So I purchased a box store unit (first a Craftsman, then five years later a JD LA175) with the clear understanding it would be used to mow and pull a small cart. I now have a Scut (JD 2305) that is used for dirt work. The lawn tractor is holding up well, and I do my best to not use it beyond it's intended purpose.

B

Bobrien

I have a 1987 JD 165 that recently needed a new motor, but unless something else major breaks and I can't get it fixed, I think I'll keep it until I'm too old to mow or plow. JD makes great equipment, and you can usually find parts for older models (E-Bay is great for used and some new parts). If I were to purchase a new unit, I would go to a dealer and not a big box store. I see too many returned lawn tractors at those stores. JD has a good reputation, and by the way, check out Consumer Reports. JD has strong ratings.:smile:

J

jakeharrington95

i have a 1994 425 over 5000hrs on it used for commercial mowing. i replaced the motor at about 3500hr
and just little repairs like filters and belts. still cuts better them all the neighbors.

B

Buckshot721

Some times you just have to laugh, some people buy a LAWN MOWER to do the work of a compact or utility machine. Then when you try to mow 20 acres of wooded swamp land and it does not last for 20 years, complain that JD is a POS. Instead of trying to buy the lowest cost tractor and using it like a 4020, go up a few models and buy the one you really need. I have 3 Deeres a 425, x485 and a 2305. No problems with any of them. I do not use them like half tracks, and take care of them. Regular engine and hydro oil changes. And only JD oils and filters. Also the my dealer will bend over backwards to help if for parts or even if I have a question. They also still stock parts, going back to the old A's. Bottom line DON'T drive it like you just swiped it.

JDgreen

JDgreen

Some times you just have to laugh, some people buy a LAWN MOWER to do the work of a compact or utility machine. Then when you try to mow 20 acres of wooded swamp land and it does not last for 20 years, complain that JD is a POS. Instead of trying to buy the lowest cost tractor and using it like a 4020, go up a few models and buy the one you really need. I have 3 Deeres a 425, x485 and a 2305. No problems with any of them. I do not use them like half tracks, and take care of them. Regular engine and hydro oil changes. And only JD oils and filters. Also the my dealer will bend over backwards to help if for parts or even if I have a question. They also still stock parts, going back to the old A's. Bottom line DON'T drive it like you just swiped it.

Well stated...when you pay a premium to buy the best lawn care equipment it is just common sense not to abuse them, and to maintain them well. Several people on TBN (tractorbynet.com) said I am foolish to change the oil and filter on my JD at "only" 50 hours, when I put 100 on it a year. REALLY? An oil and filter change at 50 hours costs me $20, so does the next one at 100 hours. When you spend 22 grand on your equipment new, what is another $20 a year to super maintain it?

Concur with you also not to abuse your equipment or try to do what it isn't engineered for. My older 318 got worked far in excess of what it was designed for but it never let me down.

JDgreen

JDgreen

i have a 1994 425 over 5000hrs on it used for commercial mowing. i replaced the motor at about 3500hr
and just little repairs like filters and belts. still cuts better them all the neighbors.

Filters and belts are not repair parts, IMO, they are maintenance items. What engine does your 425 have? What did the replacement motor cost? Was it an actual replacement or just a rebuild?

O

Oddball

I'd have to say yes. I bought an LT150 10 years ago when I broke my shoulder and could not mow our huge sloped back yard one handed with the push mower. Other than routine maintenance, I have not had anything done to it in that time. Its still going strong with at least 500 hours. Its been my only rider, so I have no other brand to compare it too, but I'm happy.

K

KennyV

...Some times you just have to laugh, some people buy a LAWN MOWER to do the work of a compact or utility machine. Then when you try to mow 20 acres of wooded swamp land and it does not last for 20 years, complain that JD is a POS. ...

I try to catch all the posts.. but there are a few I don't see... the ones you are referring to I can't place.

Most of the complaints I have read seem to be, relatively low hour machines used to mow smallish lawns, and while a lot were the 'lower priced' rider... the complaints generally seem to show disappointment with the expectation that the JD name should have given them a bit more for their money... I don't know if that in itself is an unreasonable expectation but it may be...
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

JDgreen

I try to catch all the posts.. but there are a few I don't see... the ones you are referring to I can't place.

Most of the complaints I have read seem to be, relatively low hour machines used to mow smallish lawns, and while a lot were the 'lower priced' rider... the complaints generally seem to show disappointment with the expectation that the JD name should have given them a bit more for their money... I don't know if that in itself is an unreasonable expectation but it may be...
:smile:KennyV

Good point, Kenny....I am sure many people who are unhappy with their green machines have had too-high expectations of them because of the name but even Deere has to build down to a price point somewhere. I mentioned in another post that my step mother has a JD 160 that is at least 20 years old, she really doesn't need a lawn tractor to mow 1/3 of an acre as a push mower would do, but due to the limited use hers gets it will last much longer than one used to mow several acres. I remember when Deere first began selling the "Sabre" model, it made me sad then that they were basically pandering to the low price crowd.

B

Buckshot721

I was trying to say that people buy a cheaper model to save money, than expect it to do things it was not built to do.

S

srpierce

I would like to know how to change the fliud in the transmission and how much to add etc.

M

meguell3

Warning: While Tuff Torq do recommend changing the oil in its unit, some other tractor manufacturer provide a "sealed unit" and don稚 need to replace the oil in the transaxle.
Haha sorry about that, I'm a mechanic for small engines and I rebuild gear transmissions pretty often, I just did that to see if it would help and it did. Not really any reason for me doing it other than the fact it builds up a good bit of heat and heat breaks down oil pretty quickly, that's why your car requires oil changes every so often no matter how clean the oil looks. As far as how it's done there's a plug on the bottom of the transmission, (look under it's the cloesest to the ground) you simply take it out drain the oil oil out, flush it out with about a quart of new oil, and replace the drain plug. After that you fill it with about 2 and a 1/2 quarts of oil (if it has a resivoir like mine that comes up through the gas tank fill it to the cold fill line on it.) A. Start and run engine at SLOW idle.
B. While alternately depressing the forward and reverse pedals, engage and disengage the release wheel lever (freewheeling rod).
C. Continue this procedure until the rear wheels start to rotate. This step may take up to 10 minutes to perform.
D. Lower the machine to the ground.
E. With control pedals in neutral, push the machine forward and then rearward to turn the motor rotating group.
F. Start and run the engine at FAST idle.
G. Quickly depress and release the forward and reverse pedals until the machine moves without hesitation.

Note: Tuff Torq recommend changing the oil at 50 hours for the first time and then every 200 hours.

You should notice a less noisy transaxle and better response of the pedal.
Interesting fix, want to inform us exactly WHAT this procedure does to remedy the transmission problem?

"The dealer said the same thing to me...." which was? Open to interpretation, did the dealer tell you about the fix? Or what did the dealer say?

If it wasn't the dealer, who told you about the fix? Your post apparently means well but is somewhat garbled, and lacking details.

K

Kisssofdeath

I been on this forum looking around for 2-3 weeks now. Since I bought my JD today I finally decided to register. I ended up buying a 2011 ZTrak 910A 54" and totally love it. Cut around 40 minutes off my mowing time. :thumbsup:

K

KennyV

I was trying to say that people buy a cheaper model to save money, than expect it to do things it was not built to do.

That's correct ... I think that is what most everyone has done at some time...
If I get something that will do what I normally do... then occasionally I might expect it to do a lot more... sometimes I can get away with it , sometimes it catches me .... :smile:KennyV

J

Jhon

Well, I thought it was worth it, but after reading what a piece of crap my LA is, I guess not. Damn, and to think that the past 5 years I thought that it was looking and working great!. Oh, but wait, I got mine from the Deere dealer and not the box store, so I guess that's the difference.:laughing:

And the next time I buy a Cuisinart CPT-140 toaster, I will not buy it from Wal-Mart for 30 bucks, but I will head to Macy's and pay 50 bucks instead, because it will be build better. :confused2:

K

KennyV

Well, I thought it was worth it, but after reading what a piece of crap my LA is, I guess not. Damn, and to think that the past 5 years I thought that it was looking and working great!. Oh, but wait, I got mine from the Deere dealer and not the box store, so I guess that's the difference.:laughing:

And the next time I buy a Cuisinart CPT-140 toaster, I will not buy it from Wal-Mart for 30 bucks, but I will head to Macy's and pay 50 bucks instead, because it will be build better. :confused2:

Haha....:laughing:
Welcome to LMF Jhon....
I do appreciate your sarcasm.... & without any doubt, you are correct X2... :smile:KennyV

J

Jhon

Haha....:laughing:
Welcome to LMF Jhon....
I do appreciate your sarcasm.... & without any doubt, you are correct X2... :smile:KennyV

Thanks, after I left the message (My first here) I thought my message might be taken for more than it was, just me trying to poke fun at the hard core tractor owners who think everyone needs hardcore tractor, nd I would piss someone off. My POS runs about 20 hours a year and is garage kept. It will probably outlive me. I could have put 3 grand more into my mower, but I put it in the bank instead. For me it has been the right decision.
Of course, many of you out there need a hulking machine because of what you use it for, or maybe just how you use it. But a lot of us don稚. Mine is well maintained and well loved and lightly used.

S

Steve K

Yeah, I think something got confused somewhere. Same models are the same every were, but I decided the right tractor for me was a X-324 select series, which is a heavier duty model that the BB stores do not sell. Yeah, it was more expensive, but it handles all the heavier duty things I do with it, like plow snow off my U shaped drive in the middle of the Chicago winter. I had a LX-178 model that did not do things as well, but it was also not as expensive. I bought it at a Deere dealer. It would have worked the same if I bought it at Home Depot. If I only mowed grass once a week and lived where snow is only seen on Christmas cards, a BB Deere would be fine. The point that people are missing is that the Deere dealers sell the heavier duty models that may be the tool that is needed for the job. If all you need is a BB Deere, then they are still fine machines.

B

Black Bart

Good point, Kenny....I am sure many people who are unhappy with their green machines have had too-high expectations of them because of the name but even Deere has to build down to a price point somewhere. I mentioned in another post that my step mother has a JD 160 that is at least 20 years old, she really doesn't need a lawn tractor to mow 1/3 of an acre as a push mower would do, but due to the limited use hers gets it will last much longer than one used to mow several acres. I remember when Deere first began selling the "Saber" model, it made me sad then that they were basically pandering to the low price crowd.

I believe John Deere workers are union and they pay just as much for steel as any other manufacture so it would be unreasonable to expect them to build a mower that sells for $1995.00 and have it be much different than what any other $1995.00 mower would be.
Ever hear the saying you get what you pay for.

The real problem is people have heard of how great John Deere's like my 430 is and they think that when they buy a $1995.00 mower it will be the same.

I understand JD wanting to sell more units and get in on the low end action but when I first laid eyes on the Saber I said it was going to hurt their reputation because a lot of people would expect it to be like all other Deere's.

Turns out I was right.

B

Bobrien

My JD 165 is on its second engine but is still mowing like a new one. It is built like a tank. If I ever want to replace it, I'll buy one at the dealership. If I were to purchase one today, it would be a 304 or 320.:smile:

G

Giterdone

I know a lot of you think the D100 series from Big Box are crap and not worth the metal they're made from BUT: Here's the story, I only buy what's necessary to do the job required and in this case the D100 series fit the bill for me. I've owned 4 lawn tractors in my time 3 Craftsman, 1 Noma (out of business now I believe) and now a JD D160 bought from Home Depot for a ridiculous price (I did look at my local JD dealer I could have paid at least $500 more for what on close inspection looked like about the same quality made as the Big Box. All three of my other tractors were alright and did the job quite well for the many years I owned them. But what I will say is that the day before I bought the JD I bought one Built by Troy (don't want to mention any names) had it for about 4 hours (two of which were travelling time) and ran it for exactly .03 of and hour which was enough time for me to decide to load it back in my truck and head it on back to the store. I don't think you could go directly to the factory (MTD) and hand pick one a good one. As far as I'm concerned pretty much all of the manufacturers have gone chinese quality except JD and that includes the lowly D100 series at the Big Box stores. I am very happy with mine and am looking forward to many years of John Deere trouble free use. Thanks for reading my rant.:confused2:

Bison

Bison

I dont want to pee in your cornflakes but JD dont build these lawntractors in the US.
The rice eaters build them like everything else today.:wink:

J

Jhon

When did this happen? or did the Chinese take over Horicon, Wisconsin?
And thank god i eat Cheerios...

L

loyce

Had a Deere 318 and LOVED it - never a problem -- I understand the new ones at box stores are not so good - I'd talk to the dealer about what you want to use it for and reliability of the models you are thinking about.

It all depends on what your purpose is and your budget - Whatever you decide - make sure it is a reliable dealer with a good service department. :biggrin:

I bought my JD LA 145 at a box store, after asking a dealer if there was any difference in his product and the one at the box store. This dealer informed me both were manufactured at the same factory and there is no difference in quality.

B

Black Bart

I bought my JD LA 145 at a box store, after asking a dealer if there was any difference in his product and the one at the box store. This dealer informed me both were manufactured at the same factory and there is no difference in quality.

Yes and my local dealer sells them for less than what the big box stores sell them for and the big plus is you got somewhere to go for service after the sale.

L

loyce

Yes and my local dealer sells them for less than what the big box stores sell them for and the big plus is you got somewhere to go for service after the sale.

A decal on my mower refers me to my local JD dealer for warranty service. I registered the warranty with JD, not with the box store, I really don't think who you buy the mower from matters as JD is the warranter and any parts you buy will usually be bought from a JD dealer.

B

Black Bart

A decal on my mower refers me to my local JD dealer for warranty service. I registered the warranty with JD, not with the box store, I really don't think who you buy the mower from matters as JD is the warranter and any parts you buy will usually be bought from a JD dealer.[/QUOTE

Ok look at it this way I take my mower in to my dealer for warranty work or service and you bring your's in that you got at the Box Store, Care to guess who will get their mower back first.
If it is a questionable warranty issue which one will the dealer be more likely to help with the warranty.

When I can buy for less at a dealer I see absolutely NO reason to buy from a box store.

YMMV

T

Teddy

I've only owned my JD x310 for a couple weeks and only cut grass with it a couple times but I'm very impressed with it. The motor runs strong and quiet, the construction looks to be stout for a small tractor, and the mower deck is amazing, gives a great cut and practically cleans itself while mowing! Everymower I've owned before this one always had a thick layer of grass gunk under the deck when done mowing, but not my JD 42" deck. I think I'm going to be able to use is mower for a very long time and yes, it does indeed appear to be worth the cost.

PJ

PJ

Remember if you buy a john deere it not only the good piece of equipment that you get.. Think about the back-up service, warranty, spare parts for as long as you need it. not to mention the Forum with all it lovely members and the willingness to help and support. LOL

R

rogerb6

I bought a used L110 with 400 hours. I cut about 2 acres. It has performed flawless. Good buy for the money. I just got back from working a Massey Ferguson dealer show. Their Massey line of lawn tractors will give JD a run for the money. Dollar for dollar you will get an all steel machine, hood also, larger engine, tighter turning radius with the Massey, unfortunatly you will have to find an AGCO or Symplicity dealer. Not sold in the big box store.

Retiredcarguy

Retiredcarguy

Their motto is so true... "Nothing runs like a Deere."

H

Hammerdown

Hello Guy's
I decided to set out and locate and Older John Deere Lawn & garden Tractor in nice shape, I did not like how the new ones were built they did not look as durable as the one's . I found a 1983 John Deere 318 at a John Deere dealership that looked good, ran Good and had a new Replacement deck on it of 48" width. They agreed to sell it to my whole sale @ $300.00 so home it came. That was seven Year's ago and I mowed with it every mowing season knocking down Two full acres of grass each week then decided it deserved to be restored. I ordered a Brand new Onan P-218 angine for it, stripped it to the rolling Chassis Painted all of it and put it back togther. That was a Year and a half ago and I have not had any issues with it since I restored it. In my Mind New is Not always Best I am Very happy with my Old 318 and have No Plan's on trading or replacing it. I Liked my 318 so well, That Late last winter I Picked up a 1991 John Deere 316 for my son in law and built it from the ground up. We both have Onan Powered John Deere's now and they work weekly as shown together restored. Regards, Hammerdown

004526.JPG

001736.JPG

002649.JPG

003600.JPG

2rr2nv15

2rr2nv15

I don't have a lot of time to review every post so my question is this,

What's so different between a D170 at Lowe's and a D170 at a reputable dealer (except price)? aren't they the same?

Scot "Z"

B

BillyP

I don't have a lot of time to review every post so my question is this,

What's so different between a D170 at Lowe's and a D170 at a reputable dealer (except price)? aren't they the same?

Scot "Z"

Even the price is the same at the dealer I use. No difference in the mowers.

Bones4Gold

Bones4Gold

My dad was a believer in spending less than $2,000 on a new riding mower. When he learned that I had bought a John Deere in 1999 that has hydraulic power steering, hydraulic deck lift and drive and had to finance it on top of that he thought I had gone off the deep end. Fast forward to 2018 and I still use the same machine which I meticulously maintain mainly because I am extremely fond of it. I know how expensive the parts are but oh how I cringe when I see someone cutting the grass on a machine with no hood. I have replaced a few parts over the years, mostly cosmetic. Because of that my 19 year old machine looks like I bought it last year. If I live long enough to wear the engine out I will think hard about replacing that too before I venture into the unknown and buy a new machine. Thanks for reading my post.

Boobala

Boobala

That has always intrigued me, J-D supposedly a Top-Notch machine .. and KNOWING,.. their hoods are a TOTAL P.O.S. why they don't just fabricate a metal hood or at least something worthy of their moniker ??? ..:confused2:

Example : https://ocala.craigslist.org/grd/d/john-deere/6634150485.html