Is this possible? Or should I just move on? 536255870

EVHFrankenstrat

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Is this possible? Or should I just move on? 536255870
I have a 30-year-old Craftsman II All Wheel Steering mower (536255870) that I love. It was made by Noma. I know all of you have discussed this mower many times over the years. I have owned this mower for 25 of its 30 years of life, and it has been very reliable. The cut is awesome, perfect stripes on my lawn, and the deck heights are perfect for the way I like to cut. I adjusted it one time and have never had to touch it again.

It uses the Techumseh 930-042 which is impossible to find now. The big flaw with this mower is that is snaps axles. I just snapped my 3rd one. The only thing I can figure, I was on a slight incline, stopped, changed gears and then made a turn to the left, pop! Done. It seems like a flaw in the all wheel steering mechanism. And it is always on the left side. That seems to be the only side that turns and provides power to the drive train. As of today, I am giving up my search for a replacement transaxle or a replacement axle. I have searched everywhere and I can not locate one.

My question for everyone is this. Can I install another peerless/tecumseh transaxle in this mower and will it bolt up using the current frame? If so, which transaxle should I be looking for? Will I need to change the back wheels? I know the 4 wheel steer hub system needs to go, and turn it into a 2 wheel steer mower. I am looking for suggestions. I hate to abandon it since it has been so good to me over the years, but should I just move on and call it a day? I have a friend that can weld. Anyone have any success welding a broken axle?

I am fearless! Suggestons welcome!20230807_204453.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Is this possible? Or should I just move on? 536255870
Pull the transmission out take the broken axel to a jobbing engineer and get a quote for a replacement in a higher tensile steel
The one I have here has had the axel welded to the hub on both sides .
Crude rude & unsofisticated but it seems to have worked .