Is there another way to adjust the 'FAST' rpm than bending the Governor Spring Arm?

Nitrohawk

Threads
  • / Is there another way to adjust the 'FAST' rpm than bending the Governor Spring Arm?
I previously posted about the slow/below spec rpm (about 2900 - 3000) on my three month old HRX217HYA when in 'fast' throttle position. The suggestion from Robert@honda as well as in the shop manual is to bend the 'Governor Spring Arm/tab' to the left to increase the rpm. The problem with this approach is that the arm has to bent on its long axis (longitudinal), not on its thickness axis (see attached image-1, also can be seen clearly in image-2 as 'governor spring installation position' ). This makes it VERY difficult, almost impossible since the metal is very stiff. I have tried to so to no avail.

Am I missing something? Is there another way to increase the rpm? Wouldn't it be easier and more proper to adjust the 'governor arm' by loosening the 'governor arm nut' and adjusting the rpm (see attached image-2)?
Image-1-1.jpg
Image-2.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Is there another way to adjust the 'FAST' rpm than bending the Governor Spring Arm?
You can go the other way.
move the throttle cable back then bend the choke activation and cut off forward.
Fit a stiffer ( shorter ) spring.
Move the spring hole so that it is stretched a bit further
All these need to be dane with caution as the last 2 will also alter the response to the governor.

TLAR640

Threads
Try hooking the spring in the back hole on the governor arm. Easy to undo if you don't like the result.

Nitrohawk

Threads
You can go the other way.
move the throttle cable back then bend the choke activation and cut off forward.
Fit a stiffer ( shorter ) spring.
Move the spring hole so that it is stretched a bit further
All these need to be dane with caution as the last 2 will also alter the response to the governor.

In your first solution I understand "moving the throttle cable back" but, can you please explain what you mean by "bend the choke activation and cut off forward"?

Nitrohawk

Threads
Try hooking the spring in the back hole on the governor arm. Easy to undo if you don't like the result.

I may try this as a last resort as I'm afraid it may change the behavior of the governor and carb.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Depends upon what control set up you have.
In the diagram you posted there is a turned back tab on the section of the lever with the govenor spring attached to it.
This lever pushes the choke lever forward to turn the choke on with the throttle lever in the start position.
If you have a dead mans ignition switch ( spring loaded bar ) then that will control the spark.
If you just have a throttle lever on the bars then there will be a small microswitch some where behind the throttle control plate to turn the mower off.

It would really be easier to bend the lever as per instruction after you have checked the governor.

Nitrohawk

Threads
Depends upon what control set up you have.
In the diagram you posted there is a turned back tab on the section of the lever with the govenor spring attached to it.
This lever pushes the choke lever forward to turn the choke on with the throttle lever in the start position.
If you have a dead mans ignition switch ( spring loaded bar ) then that will control the spark.
If you just have a throttle lever on the bars then there will be a small microswitch some where behind the throttle control plate to turn the mower off.

It would really be easier to bend the lever as per instruction after you have checked the governor.

Thanks. I know the micro switch (kill switch) you're referring to. I'll try to bend the governor spring arm/tab again. But, dang it's hard to bend it! Hope It doesn't mess up some of the other linkages attached to that tab.