Export thread

Is Raptor SD overkill for homeowner with 1 acre?

T

Top98Percent

I've narrowed my choice to Hustler, now just have to choose which one.

I have 1 acre mowable, small incline in front yard (6' over 120'), flat the rest. A few trees, a shed and a pool to maneuver around.

Currently retiring a 42" lawn tractor, so anything is an improvement.

It seems to me the Raptor would be sufficient for my yard. I could swing the extra $$ for the SD, but not sure if it's really needed.

Reading through the posts, has me a little leary of the deck bolt issues on the Raptor.

Anyone have any experiences with a similar (or bigger) yard and the Raptor?

Thanks

T98

M

michigan_Rapter sd

I have 1 acre mowable, small incline in front yard (6' over 120'), flat the rest. A few trees, a shed and a pool to maneuver around.

It seems to me the Raptor would be sufficient for my yard. I could swing the extra $$ for the SD, but not sure if it's really needed.

Reading through the posts, has me a little leary of the deck bolt issues on the Raptor.

Thanks

T98
I have a similar yard and went with the rapter sd last year and love it - no regrets and after having a cub ztr it is a huge step up with much heavier parts and blades have about twice the mass. would do the same thing again in a heartbeat

B

Bigmks

I went the same decision and ended up buying the raptor sd. I figure the servicable transmission and the few added construction of the raptor sd made it stood out more. I have no regrets on making the purchase on the raptor sd. If you saw them side by side you could tell a major difference. Either way I believe it's an upgrade from a regular riding mower!

L454S

L454S

Same here, 1 acre lot and got the 54in SD 3 years ago. No regrets..........

K

kraky

I have 3/4 acre and went from the raptor SD to the fastrac last year....everything about it is an upgrade and I giggle every time I mow. Now I help neighbors whenever they need it.....or....are they helping me!?

T

Top98Percent

Thanks for the input. I guess I'm just trying to justify the extra $1k to go to the SD... and if I go that far, why not $1400 to the SDX :confused2:

577jersey

If you get an SD for the one lawn it will last you a lifetime no doubt...you will have minor issues that arise.

The fast trak is way over priced for what you get IMO.

I would also recommend a Ariens Ikon X if you want to spend around $3k..you wont beat that mower for the price!!!

Have a fun blessed season!!

Tom

K

kraky

Oh...let me count the ways the fastrac is nicer than the raptor sd.
1. with the rebate they are $1500 more.
2. You get a machine that has 25% more beef.
3. Kawasaki vs Kohler 7000
4. A much stronger deck lift.
5. A better discharging deck that cuts cleaner and stripes better, stays cleaner.
6. Another yr warranty.
7. Better much smoother/accurate hydro.
8. Better traction with less scuffing and slipping.
9. Quieter by far muffler.
10. Deck lift assist that also helps the deck float better.
11...deck accepts and works great with optional catcher basket.
12..more seat travel for bigger guys.
13..rollover protection.
14. Bigger fuel tank with gauge.
Not saying the raptor sd is junk..... but if you spend some time on both of them you'll know the difference real fast. I wasn't sure I deserved to go up to the fast-track I almost got another SD but I am thrilled that I did. And I'm not saying it's the most awesome $5,500 mower out there but in our area for the dealers we have.... it pretty much is for me.

577jersey

Oh...let me count the ways the fastrac is nicer than the raptor sd.
1. with the rebate they are $1500 more.
2. You get a machine that has 25% more beef.
3. Kawasaki vs Kohler 7000
4. A much stronger deck lift.
5. A better discharging deck that cuts cleaner and stripes better, stays cleaner.
6. Another yr warranty.
7. Better much smoother/accurate hydro.
8. Better traction with less scuffing and slipping.
9. Quieter by far muffler.
10. Deck lift assist that also helps the deck float better.
11...deck accepts and works great with optional catcher basket.
12..more seat travel for bigger guys.
13..rollover protection.
14. Bigger fuel tank with gauge.
Not saying the raptor sd is junk..... but if you spend some time on both of them you'll know the difference real fast. I wasn't sure I deserved to go up to the fast-track I almost got another SD but I am thrilled that I did. And I'm not saying it's the most awesome $5,500 mower out there but in our area for the dealers we have.... it pretty much is for me.
Thats cool,Im just going on what i read,I was going to go with the bobcat crz next but i think i may go for the scag liberty z,if thats not in production Ill go with another sd.
I run my SD very hard every day,got 150+hours and only thing that went wrong was a idler spring snapped at 56 hours..also the anti scalp wheel brackets keep bending from turning into tree roots..Im gonna try to beef them up some with angle soon.

T

Top98Percent

Maybe if I had a bigger budget, but this time around I have to keep it in check. I'll see if I can find an Ikon X around to look at. Same price as the Raptor. What's better about it?

K

kraky

I agree on the ikon.....the operator station looks roomier than the raptor....the deck depth stop idea is very nice...and most importantly the deck looks like it will discharge much more openly.

577jersey

The Ikon X has a better deck with a bigger chute opening,the deck lift system is alot stronger as well.The cut quality is better IMO too.
Home depot carries them,last one i saw had a pro series briggs cyclonic engine on it and was sold for $2700.I hear nothing but good about those engines.

K

kraky

I almost bought an ikon instead of my first raptor SD but my local dealer did not stock one. Then a super-low hour SD showed up on Craigslist and I was already in love with the big tires on there because I have a pretty wet lawn in one area.... and I liked the Kawasaki engine. I overcame the discharge problem with high lift blades and after that I was kind of a hustler fan.

577jersey

Yeah i hear ya,I think it was the big tires that helped sell me too..lol..i love mine,the deck sounds a bit like a garbage can cause its on the thin side but the machine is so light i dont tear anything up with it at all.
After 5 years Ill get a new machine,just not sure what yet,am really looking at the scag liberty z or maybe just another SD or SDX,well see how mine holds up first.

I have a video here of an ikon x i walk around it real quick,maybe you can get an idea.

T

Top98Percent

Thanks 577. Nice video. I never run across sales like that. No HD's in my area stock it. The Raptor deck opening is small compared to other mowers. Saw a Husqvarna that had a huge opening. It was a stamped deck too. Although, for me a stamped deck shouldn't be an issue. I've been using a 12 ga. stamped deck for the last 17 yrs and it's still in great shape. The joys of over analyzing a purchase. lol

577jersey

Hahaha,,yeah..my buddy had a Husqvarna a couple years back a liked it.

The stamped deck is fine,we ran stamped decks for years back in 80s when first started doing lawn care.

IMO i think some of those stamped decks cut and stripe better than the fabbys :)

Good luck and have a blessed season bro.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

Live on a little over an acre with trees and backyard shed, like you I also retired my old Montgomery Wards Yardman 42" riding mower that I had since 1996 and went ahead an purchased a Hustler Raptor 54" mower and have had it now for about 10 months and so far have been satisfied with my purchase.

I think it's justified, money $ wise, on getting a mower with a larger cutting deck. The only real problem is which one (brand/model/style).

577jersey

I like my RSD so much Ill probably get another one in a few years..its so light and nimble,low center of gravity,with plenty of power from the FR691,after a few mods its the best mower i ever had,and i had alot of mowers!
Last year i was thinking to get a CRZ,then maybe a scag liberty but Im 100% satisfied with the RSD.160 hours and counting.

T

Top98Percent

Had to buy it before I ended up looking at the Fastrak's. SDX on the way :drink:

Thanks for all the feedback.

K

kraky

Good for you tell us what you think after you mowed a time or two..... I'm trying to talk my brother-in-law into one of those!

T

Top98Percent

I sure will.

$200 discount ends 7/5

577jersey

Your gonna love it,205 hours and counting..thats many years for a one acre lawn a week..lol :)

mhavanti

mhavanti

Amen Tom

Mine now has 27 hours on it after 3 years with one acre.

577jersey

See what I mean..lol..27 hours,Ill trade ya! Id really like to put 1k hours on mine,then sell it and get another mower.Not sure what kind yet,its a toss up between the Scag Liberty Z and another SD.Heck by then they may not make either.

The SD will easily last more than a lifetime of mowing for one property..only thing you would really have to worry about is dry rotting tires,belts and hoses,maybe a new battery every few years lol.

Thats kinda a shame how your warranty is up at 27 hours just cause the machine was sitting most of the time..guess that warranty is geared more toward the guy like me who puts 10 hours+ a week on it.

T

Top98Percent

I hear you. I could have gotten by with a lawn tractor, but what fun is that.

P

pythons37

Thanks

T98
You can never have too much money or too much Horsepower.

T

Top98Percent

Darn right, more power approves.jpg

I was laughing at my research/justification/purchase progression after I pulled the trigger.

I knew I had to go to big blue for the 10% discount and to redeem a bunch of GC's I had been accumulating through a sales promo at work. Would have loved to go local, but local GC's weren't an option.

For your amusement:

Started out when I bought 5 tickets in a raffle for a 52" Raptor. Started looking at them and said, well for $100, I'm in if I win. (I didn't)
Didn't like the seat on the Raptor anyway, so I moved up to the Limited, pretty much for the seat and it looked better in my opinion, with the bigger front tires.
Started reading about the deck bolt issues on the Raptor, so I started looking at 54" SD. Better deck system, better seat, beefier build all around. I thought it drove better too. +$500 from the Limited. Ok, not bad.
Looked at SDX. Liked the open deck idea, but the rest of the "upgrades" didn't matter to me. Seat was a little better, but not worth the upgrade for someone not spending 8 hours in it. Pretty much decided on the SD at this point.
Then the Raptor sales event kicks in, everything is $200 lower than before, but the SDX is running $300 off from previous prices. +400 from the SD. Ok

Qualified for more GC's and at that point, SDX was well within reach. Done deal!

Now, just have to sell my 42" LT on CL to lower the final price even more...

mhavanti

mhavanti

Tom and Top,

I went out to my oldest brother's property to help him clean it up considering he is home on Hospice with no chance for improvement. He can't stand, let alone walk. Got out there and his family hasn't cleaned and mowed his rear yard this season at all. It was actually as he proclaimed waist high in about 2200 feet square. His front yard was only approximately 14 inches high. Since he hasn't been able to keep his yard there are tons of varieties of weeds now.

Thus, I took ole 1996 Yardman All Wheel Steer out and began doing what needed to be done. The little ole 16 hp Kohler Command didn't complain too awfully and I mowed with the guard down for an hour or so. I finally opened up the guard, was no longer windrowing to the extent of having rows 4 inches or more deep. After cutting the front and running with the deck guard open and dispersing all the massive wind rows, it looked pretty good.

While in the back yard, I found a hidden dog tie out stake and came from a 5 mph run to a complete stop. Backed up, thought I was going around it and whooooaaa, stopped again. I mowed about another hour and found yet another stake out sticking up about 3 inches in grass and weeds about 2 feet tall. Well, to get to the point of this story, the ole deck shook, yelled, complained and the belt came off the engine pulley spreading the retainers out to do so.

21 year old deck belt. If the Hustler lasts this long, it is going to have to be a good mower.

21 years.

1slow5point0h

1slow5point0h

I mow mine that's a little over an acre, and my sister-in-laws that's about an acre and a half with my Raptor SD 54". It cuts pretty good considering the grass we have here. I have about 90 hours on mine going on 3 years now.

T

Top98Percent

@mhavanti I hear you. I have had a Poulan Pro LT for 17 years. 17hp Intek. Normal maintenance & blow it off after using it. Turn the key and it starts. A couple of neighbors have had 4 LT's in the same time period :confused2: The bar has been set high for the SDX.

Sorry to hear about your brother. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Top,

Thank you kindly for your thoughts and prayers. Very welcomed.

Max

B

bricehome1

93 hours on mine with one archer. But I just had one hydro pump replaced even thought my 3 years warrenty ended in May, my dealer worked a deal with the rep, so they say. Also had a steering belt break this spring,

mhavanti

mhavanti

You've got a good dealership. Mine is a POS.

M

MikeRSD54

93 hours on mine with one archer. But I just had one hydro pump replaced even thought my 3 years warrenty ended in May, my dealer worked a deal with the rep, so they say. Also had a steering belt break this spring,

It's great that you have a dealer that supports you like that. Did they have any idea what caused the failure on the hydro at such low hours?

B

bricehome1

It's great that you have a dealer that supports you like that. Did they have any idea what caused the failure on the hydro at such low hours?

Didn't get a chance to ask. The hydro oil was real dirty, 2 years ago and also this year. Had it changed for the 2nd time and as soon as they dropped it off, the levels were not in-line when you went forward. Cut my yard and they came picked it up again. Replaced the one side pump and now my handles touch when I try to go forward on one and backwards on the other. QA is not very good. Anyone know how I can fix this myself, or is it a lot of work?