Export thread

Is Craftsman worth it?

H

Homesteader

My husband swears by Craftsman tools, including the mowers. However, you can't purchase the parts from anywhere but them and after a while, they are timed out -- like the mower we have. We can't buy a starter or blades. We tried ordering them, but they're no longer stocked.

Michael

Michael

In my humble opinion, I would'nt give ya 2 cents for craftsman equipment, in as much as the motor they choose, for outdoor power equipment is built by 1 of 3 companies, every thing else is specet out to prevent you from buying after market. In terms of the starter, honey if it's a Briggs & Stratton, I can buy them here in Canada for $65.00 CND, if it's Techumse $145.00 CND.
Find what you have, let me know, I will send the info.
Michael

H

Homesteader

Thank you. I mean when you purchase power equipment for hard work, you know it's going to need repairs. Then you build a machine that has no interchangeable parts with a verbal lifetime warranty.

Ric

Ric

Is Craftsman worth it? IMHO No. Craftsman tools for the average home owner aren't to bad but there mowers as someone else said I would'nt give you nickel for craftsman equipment or anything else with a B&S motor :thumbdown: but that's just me.

My suggestion if you're purchasing power equipment for hard work go to a dealer in your area and buy from them, you'll not only purchase better equipment but you'll purchase a warranty and the dealer will fix or service the equipment when needed and he will have the parts on hand or will be able to order what you need and have it in a couple of days with no problem.:thumbsup: Stay away from big box stores when it comes to mowing equipment.

W

Walt 2002

My husband swears by Craftsman tools, including the mowers. However, you can't purchase the parts from anywhere but them and after a while, they are timed out -- like the mower we have. We can't buy a starter or blades. We tried ordering them, but they're no longer stocked.

Actually I am sure both are available, perhaps not from Sear. As said above, Briggs starters are plentiful and good used ones should be available for $10 - $15.

Check many of the online sources for lawn mower parts.

Walt Conner

K

KennyV

Like has been said... Engine parts are available...
Blades are also available . AT a LOT less than you most likely have been paying for original equip. PLUS you can get a much better replacement blade. Just measure and search the net...:smile:KennyV

Michael

Michael

I get alot of parts for the equipment I repair from wwwpartstree.com

Michael:smile:

E

Edro

I think you get what you pay for. I've got 3 craftsman garden tractors. One is new(5000 excellarator), 1972 Suburban w/10 hp cast iron Briggs, 1975 Suburban w/16 hp cast iron Tech. I mow with the 5000 and the 1975 model. The 1975 doesn't have a mower deck and has been modified over the years before I got it that would not be conducive to putting the deck on it. The 5000 Excellarator is not the heavy duty machine the Suburbans are but it does have a hydo trans. that I like. I had trouble getting a level cut out of the 54" deck but finally managed thru trial and error to get a good cut. It handles very well and with the 26 hp twin Kohler, has plenty of power. I can work on the Suburbans myself without too much trouble. They are rugged and fun to operate. I have a 3 point hitch on both and have made the 72 model a winch lift. I have a 3000# elec. winch to raise and lower the hitch. I have wheel weights on all 3 and water in the tires of the Suburbans. The 5000 would spin the tires very easily without the weights. All in all, I think I would buy the 5000 again if I had to do over. I watched the sales and got it for under $2500 last Nov. I got a close out bumper for $9. I like the 18" turning radius with the 54" cut. I think if you look, you can find parts for your mower. Anything that fits a Husquvarner(sp) will fit my 5000 if I'm not mistaken. I don't know if you do any work on your mower yourself, but if you do, have fun and look for parts in the various places mentioned above. Good Luck. Just my opinion which along with $1.00 will get you a cup of coffee most anywhere.--Edro:smile:

M

MarkBer69

I get a lot of my parts from sears at- http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action?pop=flush -- But the best place to get blades is a Flea Market or a mower shop near you.And sevice center can order your parts,you will need your model # Ser # And Husk makes a tractor just like the craftsmans but for less $$$$$.Look at Lowes or HD

Attachments

M

mowsby

If Craftsman is not worth it why do all the stores around here stock primarily Craftsman tools? It seems like there are always twice the amount of Craftsman then any other product.

twocycletim

twocycletim

I have had good luck getting parts from this guy, and I have used, Craftsman 2stroke parts on my site.
http://stores.ebay.com/matthews-small-engine-parts:smile:

H

Hoss

Their tools are good, I have a bunch of those. But as far as their power equipment like mowers, I wouldn't have a clue. I've stuck with MTD and J.D. all my life.

M

monica123

My husband has tools but as far as mowers go we have 3 non working Briggs and Straton mowers that we cannot get to work, he was hoping to take 3 and be able to make 1 work, so far, not so much!

adan

adan

I find this unfortunate. They have a "Tough Smart Lifelong" (empahsis mine) tag line in their website. Now this comment gives me an impression they're not delivering on that promise.

briggs

briggs

you can get parts for them on line or your local small engine shop ....

K

Kevin_In_VA

Well considering that I only paid $100 (used of course) for my 2005 Craftsman LT1000 17.5HP B&S, 6-Speed, 42-inch with rear-bagger, and the worst problem I've ever had is running out of gas, I'd say it was definitely worth it.

briggs

briggs

Well considering that I only paid $100 (used of course) for my 2005 Craftsman LT1000 17.5HP B&S, 6-Speed, 42-inch with rear-bagger, and the worst problem I've ever had is running out of gas, I'd say it was definitely worth it.

I do agree there i paid $60 for my 94 craftsman with a 12hp gold series brigs 6speed 43 inch deck ...works like a dream :thumbsup:

M

MowTown

I swear by this brand. A couple years ago I went out to my shed and flipped when I saw six rats. I grabbed the closest "weapon" a Craftsman long handled spade) and did a number on them. On the last rat, the handle busted. They made good on the life time guarantee, no questions asked!

T

triniphen

Craftsman mowers are as good as any other non-commercial in their price range. Branded mowers are made by a handful of manufacturers. Just look at how the frames and decks are constructed. Same front axle, frame and deck, and some flavor of peerless transaxle. Most are different colored clones with slightly different options in cutting width and HP. Find the best deal for you $, and dont forget about refurbished units.

I got my 17hp/38in rider last year for $620 including tax versus 1200 new. It came with the full warranty. I couldn't find anything comparable in my area to that except a 12hp/38 at tractor supply

Hunt the sears site for refurbished units, pop in you zip code and see whats available in you area Sears stores.

Sears Outlet: Discount Appliances at 20-60% off Regular Retail Prices

A

abeja_reina_1989

I really think they are the best. I mean, it's a great brand. All of their products are made really nicely. I trust anything from the brand. I swear by it.

I

indypower

Craftsman mowers are made mostly by American Yard Products which has been bought by Husqvarna and is now HOP (Husqvarna Outdoor Products). They make Husqvarna, Craftsman, Poulan, and many store brands. Parts for these machines are not hard to find. You should be able to get parts for a Craftsman at a Husqvarna or Poulan dealer if they know how to cross reference the models.

A

Albionwood

If Craftsman is not worth it why do all the stores around here stock primarily Craftsman tools? It seems like there are always twice the amount of Craftsman then any other product.

Stores stock what will generate the most profit for them, not necessarily what will be the best tool for you. Craftsman is easy to sell because it has the best name-recognition, and I imagine they offer favorable terms to dealers; and frankly, most people (self included) buy on price first and quality second. If they can't perceive an obvious quality difference, it comes down to price only, and the Craftsman retail prices are very competitive.

Craftsman is just a label, they haven't made their own mowers for a very long time (if ever) and have changed manufacturers many times over the years. So for certain time periods their mowers were very good, at other times poor quality; you have to do some research (hang out at forums like this, for example) to find out. I agree with the OP, Sears service is not anything like what it once was, it's a major PITA to get parts from them now.

Some people may be conflating Craftsman tools with Craftsman-branded mowers. The hand tools, with the lifetime warranty, are still very good. The mowers, not so much.

H

hoehappa

a poster in another fourm refers to craftsman mowere as crapsman:laughing:

J

Jinzo Ningen

My GF just bought a new Craftsman 22" rear-wheel powered bagger and it mows like a dream. I've put in 6 hrs with it and she's done about half that in the last week or so. Good vacuum; pulls the grass up and clips it all, very uniform cut. Rear-wheel drive works WAAAAY better than a front-propelled unit. (My first experience with a rear drive), and the one lever height adjustment is really slick. Pretty much has all the bells & whistles except electric start; but this mower doesn't have any primer OR choke to manipulate!? Never seen or heard of such a thing but it sure works like a charm - ahhh the wonder of modern technology. LOL

She paid for $307+tax, which I considered a very good deal. The mower itself is made by Husqvarna, so it should last her quite a while. My last Craftsman push mower was an ultra-basic no frills pusher with an "Eager-1" engine. Gave it to my cousin 10 years ago or so. He's still mowing with it with no problems and only routine fluid and blade changes. No complaints with Sears here.

W

wildbill

Check out jackssmallengines.com for parts, as well as partstree.com. Their prices are usually within a few bucks of each other. And yes, if you go to sears for parts, dig deep.

As for mower quality, you somewhat get what you pay for. Cheap deals are usually that, cheap. Many times it is just plain luck, good or bad, when you get a good mower or a lemon. I have a 42" Craftsman rider, and it has cut my 3 acres for the last 10 years, and I plan to keep it another 10......... that would make me 73, ummmm.

I work on a lot of the Craftsman 42" series as well as other brands and the vast majority of the problems I find were either preventable or normal wear.

Any mower a person chooses will be no better in service as is the upkeep and planned maintenance that the unit gets.