is 61 " walker with 14 hp good

philo

Forum Newbie
Threads
older unit maybe early 90's 14 hp 61 " cut hydro is this unit sufficiently powered ? have 1.5 acres to cut with mound septic hill to climb ?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are going to find it will be plenty of power. For some reason they keep raising the HP ratings all the time. My older wheel horse only has 12 HP and I have never been lacking for HP. Back in the early 50's five HP was tops on garden tractors.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to LMF...

Like reynoldston said ... it should be fine... Older HP is for some reason 'More-Better' Horse Power... There Has to be something much different in the way it is calculated today... I have an old 14 HP single cylinder Cub Cadet that 'seems' to have a Lot more usable HP than my neighbors 20 something twin cylinder... :smile:KennyV

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The older engines used a longer stroke therefore more torque. HP doesn't do any work it is all torque. I think that due to all the improvements, IE emissions standards they have lost the low end torque of the new engines and have to keep using bigger engines to make up for the difference.

Something that I have been wondering is does the older 3 HP used on pushmowers produce any more emissions than the newer 5 HP engines they are using today. Years ago most riders were 8-14 HP and now they are 18-27 HP.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
There has to be a point, with small engines, where improvements are out paced by increased cubic inch combustion chamber sizes... But there is only so much you can do with a carbureted engine...
Perhaps efi will bring sweeping improvements... It certainly did with cars & trucks... :smile:KennyV