Insurance?

mowsby

Threads
If there is some kind of a disaster and something happens to your mower would your home insurance policy cover the cost of the damage? Say like a tornado hits and rips apart your shed or something.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If there is some kind of a disaster and something happens to your mower would your home insurance policy cover the cost of the damage? Say like a tornado hits and rips apart your shed or something.

I am with Triple A and the homeowners policy clearly says: "We cover motorized vehicles used to service the insured's property IF not licensed for road use" The agent wasn't sure if my Honda Foreman 450 ATV was covered but I told him, it has a winch and snowplow blade and I use it to clear snow, and he agreed it is covered. I would think that in most cases if you had coverage on personal property any type of lawn care equipment would be covered.

Stopper

Threads
I think it is important to include it in the lest you make when you fill out the paper work. If you have not I would have it itemized so you can have it with the list of valuables. This way you will not lose out if something happens.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I agree, you should check with your agent on coverage for your equipment if it's worth more than about $500-$1,000. Since mowers can cost several times that amount, it's a good idea to have protection for theft, natural disaster, or just plain doing something really stupid with it. :laughing:

Rawlings

Threads
I had friends who lost a lot of things in a burglary and they had to list not just the items stolen but the cost at purchase and current market value. They keep a list of everything they buy now in case of any further trouble. I know my record keeping is sketchy, but I am trying harder now.

littleAudrey

Threads
Insurance is a funny business. You will find that one insurer will cover you whilst another won't. Also, there are a lot of natural disasters that are regarded as "acts of God" and are not covered. The best thing is to ask if a specific item will be covered and make sure you have it in writing.