Identification of small engine

petelg

Threads
Hi. I'm new to the forum and certainly not a mechanical genous but I can follow directions really well...:laughing: My question is this...I have a small push mower that been around for quiet some times..I think its a 3 1/2 HP but not at all sure..The stick- on ID label has long since became unreadable..I've always thought it was a Briggs and Stratton but on the top of the spring cover is the John Deere emblem. Is this one in the same engine? and I can get it running although it will run fast for a bit then slow down and eventually die. Some of the springs are missing on the carb and the throttle cable is gone..Is there somewhere I can print out and exploded view of the carb and spring attachments...Thanks for any advice...Pete:smile:

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi. I'm new to the forum and certainly not a mechanical genous but I can follow directions really well...:laughing: My question is this...I have a small push mower that been around for quiet some times..I think its a 3 1/2 HP but not at all sure..The stick- on ID label has long since became unreadable..I've always thought it was a Briggs and Stratton but on the top of the spring cover is the John Deere emblem. Is this one in the same engine? and I can get it running although it will run fast for a bit then slow down and eventually die. Some of the springs are missing on the carb and the throttle cable is gone..Is there somewhere I can print out and exploded view of the carb and spring attachments...Thanks for any advice...Pete:smile:

It sounds like you have John Deere mowers which is powered by a Briggs and Stratton engine.

The engine will have a Model, Type and code number etched into the engine covers usually at the front.

Engine to get parts list for your engine.

If you require parts then look for a Briggs dealer and they should help you out.

petelg

Threads
Just read your reply... I did look and located a long stamped number located on the shroud cover.. Thanks a lot for your help...Pete