I upgraded sort of............

mumptia

Threads
Had an 84 John Deere 160 with a 12 hp kawi (6 speed) that worked like a top. I had the engine super tuned. Valve lash was good, carb cleaned, new plugs etc.. The spindles and pulleys / sheaves were in great shape and all was great. But............ it was just too cotton picking slow and couldn't handle the thick stuff without going down into bull low and creeping.

Soo. I let it go and picked up a 74 MTD Turf Power Plus with a 93 18 hp twin Briggs.

It has high/ low range and six gears as well but does that sucker move in high gear. It has cut my mowing time in half.

In time I'll have this super tuned as well. First step is a new diaphragm. It's pulsing a bit at low idle and when I checked it was pretty dirty so for $10 it'll get a new one.

In the back of my head I'm saying a Deere to MTD? a Kawi to a Briggs? But its a great pastime working on these rigs so it makes no difference.

The tensioning pulley came off the other day (nut worked its way loose) so I put it back on and started mowing. Then of course the belt goes............:laughing:

Just a story,

TTYL

Wardo

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Interesting! What exactly do you mean by "twin" Briggs ?

Two B&S motors or one B&S motor with two cylinders ?

mumptia

Threads
Interesting! What exactly do you mean by "twin" Briggs ?

Two B&S motors or one B&S motor with two cylinders ?

Just one engine with two cylinders, but having two 18's on a chassis? Man............. I'd have a hard time keeping the deck flat to mow.

But........... with the right hydraulics I'll bet I could mow the grass pulling a wheelie:tongue:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
More HP and a lot of gearing... What's not to like:thumbsup:.... Great move, I do Love older equipment....:smile:KennyV

mumptia

Threads
More HP and a lot of gearing... What's not to like:thumbsup:.... Great move, I do Love older equipment....:smile:KennyV

Couldn't agree more. Only electrical on this rig is a light switch for the head lights.

Everything else is mechanical. It was the first thing my boys noticed... No wires :laughing:

New belt today.

ttyl