I think I have a coil going bad and not exactly sure how to test it with my meter.

Stainless69

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / I think I have a coil going bad and not exactly sure how to test it with my meter.
I have a Toro zero turn with a Kawasaki FR651V 22hp on it. It's been a great mower for the last four years but started popping on me the last time I mowed with it. I was about 75% the way through mowing my yard when it started popping and losing power. I could disengage the blade and it seemed to rev back up and run normal. Then after I started mowing again, it would eventually start popping again. It has good fuel in it, plugs look good and air filter is clean. I think one of the coils may be going bad after it warms up. I've taken both coils off and measured them. One of the coils measures 15.66 and the other measures 19.30. I think I am doing this correctly. The one coil is on the upper limits of the spec and this is at room temperature. I've read that these can be tell tell signs of coils that are going bad and act up during operation. If I'm reading the spec correctly, it says 20 is the top.

I'm attaching an image of the spec as listed and a youtube video of the problem as it's happening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgZY85Q4SlE&feature=youtu.be
coil_directions.JPG

Thanks for any help.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / I think I have a coil going bad and not exactly sure how to test it with my meter.
Sounds like the engine is working on throttle which is where is should miss with bad coil. The popping sounds like closed throttle or coast. Where are you getting the spec from?. If you are reading ohms from a DVM it is probably to check the wiring. No external measurement I know of will address the internal parts of the coil which produce the spark.

Stainless69

Forum Newbie
Threads
I downloaded the shop manual for my mower. It lists the specs for the resistance in the coil that can be checked with volt meter. There are several videos on youtube that show you how to test them with a digital meter, I'm just not sure if the required specs are right with what I am reading.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I downloaded the shop manual for my mower. It lists the specs for the resistance in the coil that can be checked with volt meter. There are several videos on youtube that show you how to test them with a digital meter, I'm just not sure if the required specs are right with what I am reading.

Try a new set of plugs before too much expense. Make sure the boots are on correctly.