I need advice on a rider.

tomsr2303

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am partially disabled and have a farm. I can do many things but cannot walk very well up and down hills and over rough ground. If I need to fix a fence I can do it if I can get there with the tools and equipment. I have a Piece of crap John Deere 145 Riding Mower with the deck removed that I use to ride up and down about a 15 to 20 degree grade and pull a little trailer with tools and sometime 500 lbs of feed in it. I am well aware of the problems cheap John Deere riders have with their Hydrostatic trans axle. Mine when warmed up will not pull me up the hill without trailer.
I need to know a good older brand rider that I could get and use to help me around the farm. I dont want to go out and buy the same problem that I have now, so I need a good solid mower with a good reputation. I cannot afford a new mower as I put over 2grand into this John Deere that is not worth 500 dollars. I will not use this rider for cutting grass I will only use it for utility work around the farm.
some of you knowledgeable rider people out there give me your advice.
Thanks in advance for your help.

benski

Threads
I am partially disabled and have a farm. I can do many things but cannot walk very well up and down hills and over rough ground. If I need to fix a fence I can do it if I can get there with the tools and equipment. I have a Piece of crap John Deere 145 Riding Mower with the deck removed that I use to ride up and down about a 15 to 20 degree grade and pull a little trailer with tools and sometime 500 lbs of feed in it. I am well aware of the problems cheap John Deere riders have with their Hydrostatic trans axle. Mine when warmed up will not pull me up the hill without trailer.
I need to know a good older brand rider that I could get and use to help me around the farm. I dont want to go out and buy the same problem that I have now, so I need a good solid mower with a good reputation. I cannot afford a new mower as I put over 2grand into this John Deere that is not worth 500 dollars. I will not use this rider for cutting grass I will only use it for utility work around the farm.
How about an IH Cub Cadet, like a 125? Or a Ford 8N?

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
Id look for an old GT- sears or craftsman - i picked up a craftsman 86 GTII and a 90's GT6000 for $150 - the GT6000 became a parts tractor for the GTII, the GTII needed alot of work tho to get it running/mowing initally, but was worth it ( wouldve spent more if i just had the one tractor) - its a good strong tractor, has the 3 speed hi/low trans - i plan on getting a plow blade ( for dirt) and a sleeve hitch for it eventually. You can still find decent priced old machines that still run good/reliable and get the jobs you need done.

LandN

Threads

as long as your not going to cut grass with it,why even use it at all. maybe something else will work even better.any other small utility off road vehicle. or even a real cheap(inexpensive) small truck for handling farm chores.

Ariena

Threads
Try to find a Case 200 series.
They are hydraulic drive and built like a tank. Mine is 30 years old.

image-1022325709.png

I most heartily recommend these. They are easy to get on and off. They work 12 months of the year. Even here in Canada.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
A MTD garden tractor has bigger wheels than a lawn tractor has 7 speed hi/lo trans. I have a 1998 pulls good up any hill you are brave enough to try. The only bad thing with MTD is the cheap bushings on the steering that you can replace with new brass ones for $5

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The case is very nice would like to find one myself

tomsr2303

Forum Newbie
Threads
as long as your not going to cut grass with it,why even use it at all. maybe something else will work even better.any other small utility off road vehicle. or even a real cheap(inexpensive) small truck for handling farm chores.

I have thought of a 4 wheeler but it is ok for doing fence but for running to the barn, checking on the rabbits, sheep and chickens it is not convenient. A small truck is the same. I have a small truck. The lawn mower without the deck can turn in an 18 inch circle cut in and out of very small places. My biggest concern is the trans axle. The motor on the John Deere is great but I need something with a good rear end and transmission. The Craftsman might do the job. I would love to have an old case or an old Wheel Horse
I have seen good advice here already and have checked out couple of the things suggested. Thanks to all.

Black Bart

Threads
Did you ever hear the saying you get what you pay for.

When you bought a $2000.00 John Deere you got a cheap mower just like you get when you buy a MTD
Murray Craftsman or Cub Cadet.

You got just what you paid for.

JD pay just as much for steel as anyone else and they have as high a labor cost so don't expect it to be any more than what you paid for.

People think that the name JD on it makes it the same as all John Deere's
Your $2000 dollar tractor is not a $12000.00 tractor
The next cheap tractor will not hold up either.

You want something that turns in 18 inches but is big enough to pull 500 lbs. in a trailer up a 20 percent grade and last. :eek:

4 wheel drive ATV would be nice but it won't turn in 18 inches and you not going to find a good one for
2 grand.

Ariena

Threads
Just another thought on the Case tractor.
These are highly sought out machines, but they can be found frequently on Craigslist in your area. A 200 series will run anywhere between $300 and $1000 for a tractor in various conditions. Remember these are working machines that mow, snowplow, blow snow, till, split wood etc.
These are hydraulic, not hydrostatic. They are were made in U.S.A. And parts are readily available from not only dealers, but your local NAPA.
I wish you luck in your search and if have any questions about Case, please do not hesitate to ask.