I have Mystery oil leak in my 1864 cub cadet CH18 Kohler engine

etap

Threads
  • / I have Mystery oil leak in my 1864 cub cadet CH18 Kohler engine
I found wet oil around valve cover gasket. I replaced both sides with new gaskets. I had to remove starter too, so it will be easy to get the metal off. I looked thru the strater hole, just see if ther where signs of oil out that main seal, and didn't find any. I checked the veritcal gasket behind the PTO around the bottom to see if I had any oil none. I put it all back togather again, and ran the engine for half hour,than turn it off. No oil leaks, I came back hour later and no oil leaks. This morning,four small spots of oil, under starter side. I don't mind pulling engine,in that cold garage,but its been hard to find it. I feel like it is coming from the breather cover and running down but don't see anything.Thats why maybe it is still in the seal flywheel side, leaking after it is off for awhile. THX

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If this is possible, here is an old trick that I use to locate stubborn oil leaks. Clean the engine as clean as you can get it. The cleaner the better. Then take run the engine and get it warm. Now take a fine powder ( foot, calcium, flour, etc.) and lightly coat the area where you feel the leak is occurring. Let sit. When the unit leaks, it will provide a path back to the source.

etap

Threads
Re: I have done a test, oil leak in my 1864

I pull out the oil dip stick, and put a balloon at the end of the tube,and started the engine. It has pressure there,not vacuum. So this is not normal with 630 hrs. If the crankcases has pessure it,and can force oil leak anywhere on the engine. THX

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is normal to have some pressure in the crankcase. Excessive pressure can be a variety of causes.

etap

Threads
I just cleaned it my engine compartment real good,so I can look for oil trace. If that don't work,I'll clean it again, and put that powder all over it,until I find out where it is coming from. I am just thinking that If I pull the engine now,I may not be able to tell where oil coming from. THX

chance123

Threads
If this is possible, here is an old trick that I use to locate stubborn oil leaks. Clean the engine as clean as you can get it. The cleaner the better. Then take run the engine and get it warm. Now take a fine powder ( foot, calcium, flour, etc.) and lightly coat the area where you feel the leak is occurring. Let sit. When the unit leaks, it will provide a path back to the source.

LOVE IT!! GREAT IDEA!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hydraulic guys showed me this trick many years ago. I can't take credit for it as much as I would like to.

etap

Threads
I just wanted to follow up! After I cleaned the engine compartment real good,I found that I had an oil leak on valve covers,and made a new gasket for that. Than I ran the engine again and found oil leaking from power steering hydro. line tighten that. Now for one day so for,no oil. I have to keep starting it up,and let run, than check it again!
It makes me feel better knowing,it not a seal. Thanks for all your help