hydro-lock in a Kohler

Danl99

Threads
Diagnosis - broken compression relief valve and damaged camshaft. Replaced camshaft. Evidently not a very common issue.

Threads
sounds like your exhaust valve needs adjusting. if it is closed and not opening to relieve compression pressure, it will be hard to pull. check the engine brake first. if the engine brake is working properly, take the valve cover off, remove the spark plug, turn the engine over and visually watch both valves open and close. If it is not in the valve train, while turning the engine over feel for play in the shift to rule out bearings. Have patience with the guys in this forem. They all want to help you, however some expect you to know more about troubleshooting than you do, and that comes from a lack of patience and compassion on their part ! I hope this helps you to fixing your problem, Pete's small engine repair

v908

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Lawnboy 10730, with a Kohler XT650 engine. Five years old. Seems to have developed hydro-lock, whereby I can't pull the starting cord. I remove the spark plug, and I can pull the cord fine fine (though nothing comes out of the plug hole - I would have expected some oil to shoot out). I replace the spark plug, and I can't pull the cord again. What's the fix???
If no fluid is in the cylinder, it's not hydrolock. You need to first adjust the valves, then start troubleshooting other things.

Danl99

Threads
I've got good service folks. Diagnosis reported above.

Johner

Threads
Have the same problem with a 2 stroke. Determined that wear from the piston TDC is cocking the piston locking it up. Suggested fix for the 2 stroke is add a thicker gasket on the base to offset the piston in a different spot at TDC. Have not tryed it yet.

Johner

Threads
I have a Lawnboy 10730, with a Kohler XT650 engine. Five years old. Seems to have developed hydro-lock, whereby I can't pull the starting cord. I remove the spark plug, and I can pull the cord fine fine (though nothing comes out of the plug hole - I would have expected some oil to shoot out). I replace the spark plug, and I can't pull the cord again. What's the fix???
Might also be something wrong with the pull cord , I know sounds crazy.

Danl99

Threads
Geez, guys. I TOLD you what happened. MOWER FIXED. CASE CLOSED.