Export thread

hydro-gear rebuild

G

gregjo1948

Working on a Hydro-Gear transaxle---ZJ-KMFE-3B5C-1PLX. Is there a rebuild kit for it? Where could I get a new one? thanks, gregjo1948

StarTech

StarTech

There will not be just an all in one kit. There are multiple kits used in the ZT-3100 series. Hydro Gear would need to be contacted for ab IPL for the above transaxle to see what various kit part number are. Kits are for example: a seal kit, center section kit, a charge kit, etc

1647720388488.png

G

gregjo1948

Thanks, Lawn Addict

Contact info & illustrations for your 3100

G

gregjo1948

Got the transaxle back together and mounted on the Ferris. It doesn't turn the wheel. Everything looked fine inside and I think the only problem was an oil leak which I fixed with the seal kit that I installed. Any ideas why the wheel isn't turning, would be appreciated. I found online that it uses 20W50 oil which I installed. Seems like heavy oil for hydro. Is it supposed to be blead somehow? thanks, gregjo1948

sgkent

sgkent

does the transmission have a differential? If so you may need to block one wheel to get the other to drive. A differential transfers power to the wheel that spins the most free unless it is a limited slip. I've seen mechanics forget that, put a car on a lift and wonder why the wheels slowly turn in opposite directions etc..

StarTech

StarTech

does the transmission have a differential? If so you may need to block one wheel to get the other to drive. A differential transfers power to the wheel that spins the most free unless it is a limited slip. I've seen mechanics forget that, put a car on a lift and wonder why the wheels slowly turn in opposite directions etc..
No. Most ZTRs uses separate transaxles.

StarTech

StarTech

Got the transaxle back together and mounted on the Ferris. It doesn't turn the wheel. Everything looked fine inside and I think the only problem was an oil leak which I fixed with the seal kit that I installed. Any ideas why the wheel isn't turning, would be appreciated. I found online that it uses 20W50 oil which I installed. Seems like heavy oil for hydro. Is it supposed to be blead somehow? thanks, gregjo1948
Yes with the wheel(s) off the ground work the lap bar(s) back and forth to purge the air from the system.

G

gregjo1948

This transaxle is on a 61" Ferris FW35 walk behind. It has a single motion bar to move forward and a squeeze handle on each side of the handlebar to move rearward and to steer right or left. With the wheels off the ground, engine running, I've operated the motion control devices many times and the wheel does nothing. There is a rod/bar for each transaxle that are used to lock the hydros out so the mower can be moved (pushed/pulled) without harming the hydros. With the engine running, I move the rod/bar, for the transaxle that's not working, back and forth (in/out drive) and the wheel does move about one revolution but stops until I move the rod again.

StarTech

StarTech

Something is not right but with my limited experience with hydros I don't what it is without seeing the unit in person so I can go though it myself. Sorry I am of no help here now.

I

ILENGINE

You didn't accidently turn the charge pump cover 180 degrees when you reinstalled it. If that pump cover is turned around it will cause the pump to run backwards, and the main pump and drive won't get any oil.

G

gregjo1948

I don't believe I installed the cover 180 out, but I will check it to make sure. I don't really understand how it would run backwards. I didn't mark the cover before removing it and I reinstalled it the same as the cover on the other transaxle. Would the covers form right and left side be 180 degrees different?

I

ILENGINE

I don't believe I installed the cover 180 out, but I will check it to make sure. I don't really understand how it would run backwards. I didn't mark the cover before removing it and I reinstalled it the same as the cover on the other transaxle. Would the covers form right and left side be 180 degrees different?
Yes that came be and in most cases are the opposite direction. the gerotor oil pump housing is offset from center which when rotated 180 degrees out cause the oil to flow in the opposite direction.

Looks like from your model number the charge pump cover should have the dot next to the bolt if the cover is round or the square end of the cover that is oblong should face the case cover.

This maybe will help https://www.hydro-gear.com/service-repair-manuals/ Scroll down to the ZT-2800 ,ZT-3100, ZT3200, ZT-3400 service manual and then download it for your unit. The cover orientation page is 31 in the manual.

G

gregjo1948

I didn't look for any marks to identify which way to install the cover. I just switched it 180 and that fixed the problem. Thank you for the help, gregjo1948

I

ILENGINE

Don't feel bad, Getting the charge pump cover turned 180 is probably the most common error that occurs when people take the unit apart. Hydrogear always tells their dealers to mark the charge pump cover and the case to avoid getting it rotated. Still the biggest issue they come across.

sgkent

sgkent

one of these will help solve that issue. I always mark things the first time they come apart.

Attachments

G

gregjo1948

one of these will help solve that issue. I always mark things the first time they come apart.
Have one just like that. I usually just grab a screwdriver and leave my mark.