Export thread

Hydraulic Oil

D

djg618

I've got a second hand Howard Price 360Z Zero turn mower and the previous owner never changed the hydraulic oil.

The manual calls for 20W50 Hydraulic oil which is kind of hard to find. I've found 20W50 Motor Oil, but not Hydraulic.

Any suggestions? Also any idea o9n what filter that mower takes? The manual doesn't say.

Thanks

I

ILENGINE

Not sure exactly on the drive type that you have on your mower, but the hydrogear standard oil is a 20w50 motor oil.

B

bertsmobile1

Not sure exactly on the drive type that you have on your mower, but the hydrogear standard oil is a 20w50 motor oil.

Full Synthetic

D

djg618

Thanks for all the replies and links. I had a lengthy reply typed when my laptop shut down. So now I'll be brief and hope you get my point.

The link goes to a Stens filter which says it replaces a Howard Price (HP) 6033. Not sure where that number came from. It's different than that stated on parts list.
Also, Stens is 25 micron and HP is 10 micron. Not a big difference, just want to make sure it fits.

I'm still looking for a local source of the 20W50 Hydraulic Oil. None of the local auto parts stores carry it. Any ideas?

Thanks

I

ILENGINE

Full Synthetic

Hydrogear doesn't use synthetic oil, and but you can use it if you want. they didn't even say you could use it until the last 2-3 years, I don't think the hydro-gear branded oil is even a blend.

B

bertsmobile1

The tech who does the tranny repairs for me said to put full synthetic in all of them no matter what the age
So that is what they get

D

djg618

I'm confused, now. I called the local farm store that sells zero turns and he said they use 20W50 MOTOR OIL and not HYDRAULIC OIL. What's the difference? Will regular oil hurt the transmission? Also on the Stens filter, anyone know where the HP 6033 number comes from?

dfbroxy

dfbroxy

Just so you know the three giving you advice are some of the best in the field of mower tech and repair. So follow their advice and you wont go wrong. BUT if your a stickler for detail and want hydrolic oil then check a tractor dealer.

D

djg618

Just so you know the three giving you advice are some of the best in the field of mower tech and repair. So follow their advice and you wont go wrong. BUT if your a stickler for detail and want hydrolic oil then check a tractor dealer.

Oh NO, NO! I'm not ignoring their advice. I'm sure they know their business. I just don't understand their replies.

Is 'Hydrogear' the brand of hydraulic parts in a Howard Price mower? The HP service manual doesn't actually state using Hydraulic oil. I just assumed it was better for the unit. Has more additives? Just trying to educate myself with all the questions.

I can't afford repairs so I'm just trying to protect my investment.

Thanks

D

djg618

I finally got a hold of someone at Howard Price and they definitely said the 360Z took 20w50 Motor Oil and not Hydraulic Oil. So thanks on that question.

But the guy also said the filter cited above was for the older 3 wheeled units? If that makes any sense. And I should definitely buy a 10 micron filter.

So I'm off to the farm store.

Thanks everyone.

C

cruzenmike

I finally got a hold of someone at Howard Price and they definitely said the 360Z took 20w50 Motor Oil and not Hydraulic Oil. So thanks on that question.

But the guy also said the filter cited above was for the older 3 wheeled units? If that makes any sense. And I should definitely buy a 10 micron filter.

So I'm off to the farm store.

Thanks everyone.

when I needed 20 w50 oil for my Cub cadet hydrostatic transaxle I ended up purchasing the motor oil at home Depot. I don't remember the brand I would think Pennzoil and a yellow jug and it was about $5 a quart. As for the filter you definitely want to stick with the exact same microns as the manufacturer calls for. If you think about it the smaller than microns means that there is less space in between the fibers that make up the filter. This not only helps to capture smaller particles but also has an influence on how efficiently the fluid flows through that filter. If you have a 25 micron filter instead of a 10 micron filter you are ultimately going to let more particulates of smaller size continue to travel through the hydraulic system but also you are going to have less resistance for the fluid traveling through and in the systems it's the pressure that often allows the motors to have their optimal torque.

D

djg618

I never considered the back pressure/torque thing being related to porosity size. Grass is getting long, so I'm just keeping the original filter on and topping the reservoir off with oil. In the meantime, I'll either run over to HP or find a proper equivalent and change it all at a later date.

But if any HP owners out there know of an equivalent, I'm all ears.

Thanks