Export thread

Hustler yellow paint

M

mooch91

All,

I have searched, and there are a number of options for matching paint for Hustler mowers, including John Deere Industrial Yellow.

Problem is I can't seem to find something locally available and I'd rather not spend $20+ (with shipping) for a can of spray paint.

Anyone have any readily available, local sources for matching paint for our Hustler mowers?

I know it's a little petty to be concerned about the finish of a lawnmower, but I have to say, I'm a little disappointed at the powder coat flaking off my 2-year-old Fastrak. I know I hit a few spots on the left side, but it appears as if a few sheets of paint were peeling off from areas that have never contacted anything when I pulled it out of the shed last week. See the picture by the anti-scalp wheel, for example. I never wash the mower, only blow off the grass and dust with the leaf blower following each use.

Thanks!

Attachments

BlazNT

BlazNT

Get the biggest piece of flacking powder coat off the mower and take it to an auto parts store and have them mix you a pint or whatever they can. Some have the spray can you can build for your self. That may or may not be cheaper than $20. EPA has their hands all over paint these days and it cost a fortune now.
https://store.preval.com/collection...6azT-yvpo_eJlUaAp0DEALw_wcB&variant=188709532

K

Kremeneon

I've found that the Caterpillar yellow in a handy spray can is pretty darn close. I don't notice any difference at all with a little dust on top.

M

mooch91

Not a great match, but Krylon Farm and Equipment "New Equipment Yellow" did OK.

Attachments

Boobala

Boobala

Pretty good match in the pic ! .. :thumbsup:

D

Darryl G

Looks pretty good to me! I don't know why it happens, but I've had problems with powder-coat on various pieces of equipment flaking like that.

G

gene_stl

Mine has peeled in a few places too. As part of the spring clean up fix up get ready I want to do some touch up too.
Thank you for the leads.

M

mooch91

Pretty good match in the pic ! .. :thumbsup:

It's OK. It's a lot more tan looking, the Hustler paint has more orange in it.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Although this is not metal paint, it will serve to make a good match for you. I would prefer removing a piece of the machine and have it color matched with enamel metal paint. You'll have to really clean the rust from the metal, use a couple of good coats of primer and I would go with a light color primer. Then you can use the item show in the comments above or use a decent spray gun and you'll have a nice piece of equipment all over again.

Good luck,

Max

Hustler Paint Code.jpg

reynoldston

reynoldston

NAPA will mach any color you want and put it into a spray can for you. The match you have now doesn't look bad. :thumbsup:

D

DJ660

Guys, IF you have paint peeling off of your mower deck and its not from hitting anything, see your dealer. Hustler had a paint issue and they are taking care of the problem units with a replacement deck shell. If you have paint coming off, see your dealer.

M

mooch91

Guys, IF you have paint peeling off of your mower deck and its not from hitting anything, see your dealer. Hustler had a paint issue and they are taking care of the problem units with a replacement deck shell. If you have paint coming off, see your dealer.

As the OP, I did not want to send anything out until I got it confirmed, but I did end up taking my mower in to the dealer yesterday even after completing the paint touch-up. They did confirm some powdercoat issues around the timeframe my mower was built and they've submitted pictures to Hustler for a warranty replacement deck shell. They said what I experienced is similar to other units they've dealt with in the past. They hope to have it approved and replaced within the week.

L

LeakyGasket

I went to my local auto paint shop with a piece of the mower, and they said it was Nason John Deere Industrial Yellow as a "base", but needed some tinting to match. A pint cost a lot. Don't remember exactly, but it hurt about $50, if I am close to remembering.

B

bertsmobile1

Now I know you guys tend to ba a little fanatical but paint matching on a mower ?
really ?
In the shop I stock "roadside plant yellow".
So if a deck gets welded then it gets RSPY over the weld.
No matter what you do the deck will fade on the outside edges where it is full sun and not in the middle, so why get your knickers in a knot.
paint the whole deck after touching up the bad bits if you must.

Boobala

Boobala

I'm planning to paint my mower this summer, I call it .... Clear-Coated Rust !

PAINT 2.JPG

L

LeakyGasket

Now I know you guys tend to ba a little fanatical but paint matching on a mower ?
really ?
In the shop I stock "roadside plant yellow".
So if a deck gets welded then it gets RSPY over the weld.
No matter what you do the deck will fade on the outside edges where it is full sun and not in the middle, so why get your knickers in a knot.
paint the whole deck after touching up the bad bits if you must.

This I agree with. I would never do it again -- just some irrational exuberance when the mower was young (but I was old -- and logical -- I thought -- go figure).

R

retfr8flyr

I am another one with peeling paint on my mower deck. I used my Raptor SD for the first time this year and a large section of the deck paint just started peeling off. My mower is only 2 years old next month. I contacted my dealer and Hustler is sending out another deck and when it gets here my dealer will install it at no charge. That's great customer service.

B

bradmc

As the OP, I did not want to send anything out until I got it confirmed, but I did end up taking my mower in to the dealer yesterday even after completing the paint touch-up. They did confirm some powdercoat issues around the timeframe my mower was built and they've submitted pictures to Hustler for a warranty replacement deck shell. They said what I experienced is similar to other units they've dealt with in the past. They hope to have it approved and replaced within the week.

Did they share with you the timeframe of the defective powdercoating? Mine is a 2015 RSD 60. Problem is that I trimmed back the triangle in the discharge chute last fall. It was flaking in that area before I did that, but it would be hard to prove at this point. It is flaking really bad underneath though, and I've not made any mods there.

B

bertsmobile1

FWIW vynal powder coating is about the worst finish you can put on a mower deck.
It has very poor adheason and as soon as it is breeched , water wicks under the powder coat and rust like mad.

The best stuff is POR 15 Chassis coat, over bare metal then whatever top coat you like.
Stuff I did 20 years ago is still holding up quite well with no peeling whatsoever.
It s a PIA to do the surface prep but if done to the instructions bullets bounce off.

M

mooch91

Did they share with you the timeframe of the defective powdercoating? Mine is a 2015 RSD 60. Problem is that I trimmed back the triangle in the discharge chute last fall. It was flaking in that area before I did that, but it would be hard to prove at this point. It is flaking really bad underneath though, and I've not made any mods there.

Mine is a 2015 Fastrak. Dealer asked me if it were a 2015-2016 when I called him on the phone, and had indicated this was a period of time Hustler had some issues with powdercoat.

I was concerned as I had already re-painted the section of deck with the worst issues. Thankfully I had pictures and a baggie of paint chips to bring with me when I dropped the mower off. I think a lot will depend on the dealer as photographs are required.

M

mooch91

Reporting back: new deck on my mower as of last week. Came out beautiful and works just as good as before.

Only rub - dealer must have left my key on when they were working on the mower. I went from 129 hours to 163 hours at the end of the service.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Mooch, I had that happen to me with my dealer. His reply was, it didn't hurt the mower and just remember how many hours are not real when doing the service work on it and we have that happen all the time.

I was not a happy camper and told him so. He said, well there is nothing we can do about it and it is just not a problem for me. I feel he is full of crap. He is no longer a dealer in our little town. Thank goodness.

M

mooch91

Mooch, I had that happen to me with my dealer. His reply was, it didn't hurt the mower and just remember how many hours are not real when doing the service work on it and we have that happen all the time.

I was not a happy camper and told him so. He said, well there is nothing we can do about it and it is just not a problem for me. I feel he is full of crap. He is no longer a dealer in our little town. Thank goodness.

I kind of felt the same way when I saw what had happened to mine. I'm not yet done with my warranty service, so I intend to have them document the in/out difference on the paperwork at least. They mentioned something about getting a new hour meter and advancing it to the correct hours; not sure how that's done (hook it directly to a battery I suppose?). I don't expect they will follow through on that based on the way they were talking.

I thought I was being too picky until I thought about how I would have felt if my car came back from service with half of a year's mileage tacked on...

mhavanti

mhavanti

I'd contact the factory and ask them about that. I didn't appreciate the total disregard of their customer. Although, they may have been taking care of doing the same thing our local dealer did and that was to run you out of warranty.

Ours would put us off knowing I'd be gone months to a year at a time working for the government. Mine even with the extra six hours now only registers 34.8 hours after mowing once this year. The second dealer kept mine outdoors for 5 weeks during all the hurricanes last year. It came back with all kinds of scratches, scuffs, a punctured seat, and rust forming around all the frame holes. There are really good places of business and those that just don't give a damn.

I've found two of those and they are the two closest to me.

The original dealer sold out to a fella that has absolutely zero personality and barely will acknowledge you when you enter their door. Now with all that said, none of the problems were anything more than a few minutes of dealer adjustments and the factory was more than happy to oblige to make you and I happy. Shame on the dealer that doesn't take good care of their customers.

Hustler is a good quality machine and I do not feel badly at Excel Industries.

Good luch Mooch