Hustler Raptor SD fuel question

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fuelers at airports have 100 octane LL as in low lead fuel. The octane rating of AVGAS is determined by a different formula than auto gas and because of this, the effective octane compared to auto gas ratings is somewhat higher than 100. AVGAS use in engines that are not designed for this type of fuel can suffer as the "fire" in the combustion chamber happens much later and the still burning mixture can go out thru the opening exhaust valve and into the exhaust system and this is not a good situation. This in addition to the fact that if an airport fueler is caught by the FEDS dispensing AVGAS to a non aircraft customer, there are some serious fines involved.
As for fuel additives, I store my equipment in a closed trailer which gets hot inside. I have found that using 89 or higher fuel is better for all of my engines and I use Star Tron enzyme fuel treatment in everything and for the fuel/oil mix engines I ad a carbon softening additive, something that I have done since the 60s when I was a marine mechanic.
Mad Mackie in CT, Sgt1st Class US Army Retired:laughing:

Last edited:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Attached are the carbon reducing products that I use along with Star Tron fuel treatment, this as long as the correct pic uploads!!
Auto Gas with ethanol has a higher evaporation rate and stored in a hot area with open vents causes quicker fuel deterioration. The Star Tron enzyme additive slows down the deterioration rate. I try not to store very much gasoline, but during slow mowing periods, I have had untreated fuel start to go bad in three weeks. Then I had to use Sea Foam fuel additive to quickly clean up the fuel system to get the engine back to normal operating condition.

Attachments

• Pictures from old hard drive 2010 516.jpg
    Pictures from old hard drive 2010 516.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: