Export thread

Hustler Raptor Flip Up Fuel Gauge

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

Has anyone that owns a Hustler mower with the fancy round glass fuel guage ever have a problem with the fuel guage not reading or showing the correct amount of fuel indicating in the fuel tank?

The fuel guage needle indicator on my Hustler Raptor Flip up constantly shows/indicates/points to "FULL" even when there is hardly any fuel in the tank? The fuel tank was practically empty and the guage was indicating "full"?

Pour'd clean fuel into the fuel tank, indicator didn't even move, mowed the lawn and well afterwards you would think that the fuel guage would give an indication of maybe 3/4' of fuel in the tank or even at least show 1/2' but not even. Just "FULL" indication?

Also the fuel guage indicates the mowers total hours of usage is 6.8 which is correct because I really haven't used it very much, still looks very brand new!

Could be the 'fuel sensor'? The actual fuel guage itself?

I've already inquired with Hustler about this and another different problem that I had just experienced with my new Hustler Raptor Flip up and have yet to hear back from them.

Anyone else encounter this particular same problem?

1slow5point0h

1slow5point0h

No gauge on mine, I have to look at the little cutout in the rear fender or lift the seat.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

Well earlier today I called a couple of authorized Hustler dealerships and spoke to some of the technical guys there and asked them if it was a known problem for the fuel gauge not gauging fuel correctly, etc. Told them the problem that I was encountering explaining that even though the mower is practically brand new, purchased only a couple months ago?

Their response was that the problem could be one of the following three things:

1.) The fuel gauge itself is inoperative/bad.
2.) the fuel tanks internal float is defective.
3.) the fuel tanks sending unit is bad

But one individual made it a point to emphasize that yes sometimes the problem with just the actual fuel gauge itself does happen (even though it is a new mower, after a few months time/usage) that the fuel gauge would act up or stop working and was told that, that would be the most likely problem with it so to check that out first.

Because that they have indeed had some mowers come in to have the fuel gauge replaced, with that specific problem.

Apparently it is a very easy task if you are pretty handy with tools. Just remove the entire black plastic covering screws and cover, this exposes the panel, fuel gauge, etc. connections, then disconnect the fuel gauge pin connector, pop up the defective fuel gauge then insert the good fuel gauge in its place, re-connect the fuel gauge pin connector then reset the black plastic covering and screws back and that's it.

Even though mine is still under warranty I'd hate to have to haul it back to an authorized Hustler dealership and wait two to three weeks just to have the fuel gauge replaced but if that is what needs to be done so be it.

Also I did mention that I did send Hustler manufacturer a request on my experiences with the fuel gauge, etc. but have yet to hear back from them. Probably when I do they'll just tell me to take it to an authorized Hustler dealership for warranty repair(s)?

D

DCFDZeke

I purchased mine Flip Up in May of 2016 and noticed this after two cuts when I ran out of fuel. My gauge returns to "E" when I turn the key off but stays at "F" when using. I pulled the float and it moves freely outside of the tank. Dealer had not heard of any other problems like this.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

I purchased mine Flip Up in May of 2016 and noticed this after two cuts when I ran out of fuel. My gauge returns to "E" when I turn the key off but stays at "F" when using. I pulled the float and it moves freely outside of the tank. Dealer had not heard of any other problems like this.

Thanks for your response.

You say you pulled the fuel tanks "internal float" out of the tank? Was it the screw down type or the sealed type of float from Kelch? Because Kelch is the manufacturer of Hustlers fuel tank internal float.
http://www.kelch.com/docs/specification-sheets/kelch-multi-level-gauge.pdf

I know for a fact, after testing, inspecting, trouble-shooting, etc. that it is not the actual round glass gauge on mine that is the problem. The gauge works. It is the fuel tanks internal float that is the problem and needs to be replaced.

After speaking (on the phone as well as emails) with the Hustler manufacturer tech and clearly explaining the problem throughly, I was informed that they have indeed had a problem with the fuel gauge giving inaccurate readings.

The tech explained to me that they were aware that at times the fuel thanks internal "float" would malfunction randomly and get stuck at times and that the entire "fuel tank" would need to be replaced to correct this. I was told that since mine was still under warranty that it would need to be sent to a local authorized Hustler dealership to have the entire fuel tank to be replaced for free.

I then asked why couldn't they just send me the fuel tanks "internal float" replacement so that I could just replace that by myself and the tech explained to me that for safety reasons they could not and would not under any circumstances be able do that. The only way to have it replaced would be to have it sent in to an authorized dealership to have that done.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

I had not posted on this older thread that I started and well I just wanted to at least update on what had and has been done, since my original starting post.

Hopefully this will give someone else some hope if they have experienced this same problem.

Well the original problem to this saga had been solved by having my Hustler Raptor Flip Up picked up and taken to a Hustler Authorized Sales & Service place and having the Fuel Tank along with it's Fuel Sending Unit replaced with a new one.

That corrected the problem of the Fuel Gauge indicating correctly as it should for the time being but then after a few months, well the problem came back.

My mower is still under warranty.

Well then now, after speaking with an Engineer from Hustler Corp.(again) apparently there has been changes to the design of the original Fuel Tank's Fuel Sending Unit (as I was told) and a there is now a Service Kit from Hustler Corp. available to correct this specific faulty Fuel Gauge Meter problem.

Now my Hustler Raptor Flip Up has a brand new Fuel Tank (again) along with a new internal Fuel Sending Unit and the Fuel Gauge is working correctly as it should (for now at least)

Only time will tell how long this fix will last?

I'm hoping for the last time!

Attachments

M

menards

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 2018 FLIP UP 15 HOURS,GAUGE NOT READIG RIGHT.HOW IS THIS RECENT GAUGE HOLDING UP? THX

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 2018 FLIP UP 15 HOURS,GAUGE NOT READIG RIGHT.HOW IS THIS RECENT GAUGE HOLDING UP? THX

So far good, I'm glad to say. :thumbsup:

But still only time will really be the factor on this.

The very first time that I encountered this, I actually did research on this problem specifically with the fuel tanks internal fuel sending units gauge design (I was able to get a copy of the fuel sending gauge internal design) along with it's electrical components and determined what the problem might be.

I first called Hustler Corp. and spoke with their engineer and explained the problem that I was encountering I was told that Hustler Corp. was aware of the problem and that it was only a matter of just replacing the fuel tank and fuel tanks internal sending unit to correct the problem.

After being told that, I knew that I could perform the task myself but Hustler Corp. would not allow sending the parts directly to me since it is considered a safety issue and that the only way to have it replaced was through an authorized Hustler service dealership (which I already knew) and that since my mower was still under warranty that it would be done at no cost. So I had the dealership do it and it worked fine for a few months but then the same problem happened again.

I contacted and spoke with the original manufacturer's ( Excel/Kelch ) engineer on the original design of the fuel tanks internal "fuel sending gauge", explained to them what I considered was the "root cause" specifically to the problem and it was determined that the units internal electrical components would become faulty over a short period of time and stay either "open" or "closed", resulting in the fuel gauge indicator showing either just "full" or "empty" and would not move.

I experienced this twice now since the first time this happened, the dealership just replaced the fuel tank along with the fuel sending unit with original equipment and well of course the problem came back after a few months (figured that it would).

The second time this happened I knew what I was in for since my mower is under warranty. So I took it a step further and called around and spoke with several other Hustler Authorized dealerships technicians and mechanics around the country and they all basically told me the same thing about just replacing the fuel tank and fuel sending unit with the exception of two places.

These two places basically explained me that Hustler Corp. knows about the problem with the faulty fuel tanks internal fuel gauge sending unit (which I already knew) and that Hustler determined that the fuel tanks internal fuel sending unit was a faulty design and was in the process of having it corrected with a new design concept.

So now this second time, again fuel tank has been replaced this time though the entire fuel tank is black in color no longer white and of course along with the newly designed fuel tanks internal fuel sending unit.

So again, only time will tell for sure if the problem is actually fixed for good once and for all or ?

Flip the seat up and check your mowers fuel tank, what color is it?....that should give you and indication but either way contact a Hustler Authorized sales & service place and they should take it from there to correct the problem (I would assume that your mowers is under warranty since it is a 2018 model so you should not have to pay for anything only transportation if needed for pick up and delivery, unless of course you can take care of that yourself?)

Good luck and hopefully this info helps you out in anyway. Also keep us posted on your decision on what you plan on doing.

Menards if you have any other questions regarding the fuel gauge problem send me a PM.

Attachments

• kelch-multi-level-gauge.pdf
    878.8 KB · Views: 17

mhavanti

mhavanti

Would you happen to have the receipts for the warranty work that shows all the part numbers for the replaced parts? I'm thinking of installing a fuel guage in my SD60 and would like all the numbers.

Thanks,

Max

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

Would you happen to have the receipts for the warranty work that shows all the part numbers for the replaced parts? I'm thinking of installing a fuel guage in my SD60 and would like all the numbers.

Thanks,

Max

I think that these parts would not fit your specific model mower but I could be wrong.

If you don't already have a fuel gauge in your mower then your more than likely going to need some sort of conversion kit that is going to involve a bit more than just those two parts mentioned.

Though to answer your original question, "No I do not".

But really there are only two parts, the "Fuel Tank" and the "Fuel Tanks Internal Sending Unit".

Call your Hustler Authorized Sales & Service center, they should be able to hook you up. If not then call Hustler Corp. directly.

Does your SD 60 already have a fuel gauge and if so what type/style is it...old fashion round glass type with needle indicator or the small square digital type?

zipper

zipper

I have a somewhat different fuel gauge problem with my 2017 Fastrak. When tank is full, it reads full, but by the time I get an hour or so on the clock, it reads empty. So I can go 2 more hours, mowing on empty. Talked to my dealer service rep, who is new and haven’t heard back yet. So to recap, my gauge works, but needs calibration. I’m not sure that’s doable. Will add my dealers answer when I get it. It’s been 3 days since I talked to them.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

Three days have passed and you haven't heard back from that specific dealer?!

You should have heard back from him that same day or the next day at least. I'd suggest that you call another Hustler authorized sales & service or Hustler Corp. directly and inquire with them.

What type of fuel gauge do you have?

Is it the standard square digital indicator type model or the old fashion round glass type needle style?

Also, specifically what model is your Hustler mower?

zipper

zipper

I tried adding a picture of my round, needle style Excel gauge, but not sure it will show up where it’s suppose to. First timer, ya know. I told my dealer it was not a life or death situation, so no hurry. And, yes, I’m told by da’ wife all the time......nice guys finish last.

Attachments

zipper

zipper

And forgot...it’s a 2017 Fastrak, 54”.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

Ah yes, that's the exact same type of fuel gauge indicator (see post #6) that I have on my Hustler Raptor Flip Up.

Go back and check your fuel tank also, is it basically the same style "white in color" (again I posted a picture of the original white fuel tank in post #8, the new one is black in color)?

If it is then you basically are more than likely experiencing the same problem as I was with your fuel gauge indicator giving false readings.

Also is your mower still under warranty?

If so then just take it to a Hustler authorized sales & service and they should be able to take care of you, with you not having to pay $ out of pocket. One of the things that warranty does not cover is transportation, for pickup and delivery. That is if you do not not have any means of doing that yourself.

If they replace the entire fuel tank then remember the new tank should be black in color not white.

zipper

zipper

Well, like I said in my original post, can it be calibrated? My tank is black and I am under warranty. I have just turned over 20 hours.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

Well, like I said in my original post, can it be calibrated? My tank is black and I am under warranty. I have just turned over 20 hours.

Calibration of the fuel gauge really has nothing to do with that specific problem. But of course any gauge can be checked for accuracy with a calibration performed on it. Though, where did you come up with the fuel gauge needing a calibration anyway? Yes the possibility of the fuel gauge becoming faulty might be a slim chance but in this case, that's not the solution to solving the problem.

But if you really are concerned that the fuel gauge's "calibration" is in error and plays a role in the problem that you are encountering then by all means swap out the fuel gauge with a new one? Though, you do that and the problem will still be there, with the fuel gauge not indicating correctly, just telling you.

https://www.themowershop.com/Hustler-PTO-Kit-776476.item

But why pay for something that you can get for free, under warranty?

The problem will more than likely be with the fuel tanks internal fuel gauge sending unit. Reason being is that the fuel gauges sending unit is not receiving the correct voltage to give the proper readings for the fuel gauge to indicate a correct reading on the meter, in reference to the fuel sending units float component not giving the correct level of fuel/gas in the fuel tank. It basically has to do with the fuel tanks sending unit's internal components going bad.

But like I said....take it to the dealer and let them handle it.

mhavanti

mhavanti

No, the SD 60 didn't come with a fuel gauge. When I get around to it, I'll put something together.

Sounds like all the problems with the original system is a lack of grounding the internals and probably didn't put a heavy enough diode in the line if any for the sending unit.

Thanks for the information.

Max

zipper

zipper

Calibration of the fuel gauge really has nothing to do with that specific problem. But of course any gauge can be checked for accuracy with a calibration performed on it. Though, where did you come up with the fuel gauge needing a calibration anyway? Yes the possibility of the fuel gauge becoming faulty might be a slim chance but in this case, that's not the solution to solving the problem.

But if you really are concerned that the fuel gauge's "calibration" is in error and plays a role in the problem that you are encountering then by all means swap out the fuel gauge with a new one? Though, you do that and the problem will still be there, with the fuel gauge not indicating correctly, just telling you.

The problem will more than likely be with the fuel tanks internal fuel gauge sending unit. Reason being is that the fuel gauges sending unit is not receiving the correct voltage to give the proper readings for the fuel gauge to indicate a correct reading on the meter, in reference to the fuel sending units float component not giving the correct level of fuel/gas in the fuel tank. It basically has to do with the fuel tanks sending unit's internal components going bad.

But like I said....take it to the dealer and let them handle it.

I believe you would be correct. I did not state my intentions correctly, but I agree that it would be the sending unit, not the gauge itself. I’ll have to take it in.
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

G

gene_stl

Thank you Mr. Mower for posting this thread. I have a Raptor Flip Up 54 inch which was delivered about one year or so ago. I am having all kinds of minor annoyances with it including the fuel gauge problem. Also one side of the parking brake switches does not work (I put a rubber stick on foot as a temp fix so I can start the thing ) and day before yesterday the battery crapped out. It had a date sticker of November 2015 on it which is a long time considering the unit was delivered spring of 2017.

I emailed them and got the safety bullshit. I don't want to pay $150 to have them look at under warranty (transportation charges) and I also don't want a black fuel tank because if the gauge is not working then you won't be able to see how much gas is in the tank. Have you tried to buy a new sensor from Kelch. I am going to look into whether I can get that Hall effect device since that is the only component on there. My gauge goes to empty when I unplug the sensor and then full when plugged in regardless of fuel level.

I was VERY non plussed with the response from Hustler/Excel

G

gene_stl

https://www.melexis.com/-/media/.../mlx90316-datasheet-melexis.pdf

Here is the data sheet on the Hall effect magnetic sensor that senses the fuel float position.
Unfortunately you can't just buy a new one because the is a programmer required and that is $145.
So I guess on Tuesday I will call the guy I bought it from and see what if anything he can do for me.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Gene,

There is nothing there when trying to open that pdf. Would you copy and paste once again?

Thank you in advance,

Max

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

Thank you Mr. Mower for posting this thread. I have a Raptor Flip Up 54 inch which was delivered about one year or so ago. I am having all kinds of minor annoyances with it including the fuel gauge problem. Also one side of the parking brake switches does not work (I put a rubber stick on foot as a temp fix so I can start the thing ) and day before yesterday the battery crapped out. It had a date sticker of November 2015 on it which is a long time considering the unit was delivered spring of 2017.

I emailed them and got the safety bullshit. I don't want to pay $150 to have them look at under warranty (transportation charges) and I also don't want a black fuel tank because if the gauge is not working then you won't be able to see how much gas is in the tank. Have you tried to buy a new sensor from Kelch. I am going to look into whether I can get that Hall effect device since that is the only component on there. My gauge goes to empty when I unplug the sensor and then full when plugged in regardless of fuel level.

I was VERY non plussed with the response from Hustler/Excel

Hey, I can definitely understand your frustration with those issues. But as for the battery, well that can always be replaced with a new one, really no big deal with that. That's one quick and easy fix.

Also, thanks for posting the data sheet, though I already had one of those stored in file on my laptop.

As for the fuel gauge problem, well after you have read all the post in this thread, looks like you already know what needs to be done to fix that. Yes you are correct Kelch will not sell any parts directly to the consumer. They will only sell straight to the manufacturer (this case Hustler/Excell Corp.). How do I know this?...believe me I had already tried myself, that's how I know for a fact.

Looks like you have two options for fixing the fuel gauge problem. 1.) Since your mower is still under warranty (that is "if" it still is and it should be?) you can bite the cost of transportation $ and just pay it and have it sent to an Authorized Hustler Sales & Service center and have them fix the problems?...or 2.) See "if" the Hustler authorized sales & service can just order the parts for you and then you can install them yourself? Again since your mower is under warranty, Hustler Corp. can provide the parts necessary, free of charge but you provide the labor by doing it yourself?

I've studied the Service Owners Manual on the Raptor Flip Up (I also have the 54" model deck) and have talked to several Hustler technicians, etc. about how the job gets done and really there is not a lot too it, repairing and fixing the fuel gauge problem. Same thing with the Parking Switches.

The only thing about option #2 is that Hustler Corp may not want to provide you with the parts since Hustler Corp. see's this as a big safety issue (involving fuel, etc.) so they will not ship parts to you directly. You will have to get parts through the authorized sales & service place. Then again, even the Hustler sales & service place may not want to do this either since they will be left out on getting compensated for not doing the work?.....also too there's always the fact that a Hustler sales & service tech did not perform the repair and if you have problems they may not honor the warranty since you did the task yourself and Hustler will more than likely state that, that voids the warranty?

It's your call on how to proceed?

But again, since your mower is still under warranty, I would still just pay for the transportation of your mower and simply have Hustler repair, replace, etc. and fix the problems that you are having with the fuel gauge and the parking brake switches?

That's just me though.

Good Luck with whatever decision you decide to go with.

D

Darryl G

It's for reasons like this that I always recommend buying equipment from nearby servicing dealers rather than distant ones or big box stores. I don't have a Bob-Cat because I think it's the best mower out there or the dealer gave me a discount. I bought it because the dealer is a 5 mile, 10 minute drive away and because they provide excellent service. If I couldn't get my mower to them they would come and pick it up, no problem.

On the subject of the gas gauge: If my mower had one, I'm sure I would want it to work, at least while under warranty. But I've never had a mower with one and it's not a big deal. I just unscrew the tank(s) cap and take a peek to see if I have enough fuel to do what I plan to. I'm in my 17th season mowing commercially and I've only run out of gas a couple of times while using a mower. Just check it like you do the oil before firing it up :smile:

G

gene_stl

The black replacement fuel tank would make it impossible to visually check the fuel. Even with the current white tank you have to get off and flip up the seat.
I am going to call my dealer and see if he will get the parts for me and let me do the work. He can bill them for the labor I don't care.
I did replace the battery. It just grinds after just about one year exactly. It sort of tells me my mower was sitting in a warehouse somewhere for a year and a half or so.
I got the neutral switch problem solved with a stick on rubber spacer for temporary and there is also an adjustment too which I saw on you tube from a dealer. (search hustler flip up)

The fuel gauge is probably too sophisticated for a lawn mower. Every damn thing has to have chips in it. Including my ******* Gillette razor handle. I love the Fusion shave but when the battery drops to a certain level the vibrator/buzzer goes OFF. Why not just let the battery run down? The problem is probably from that Melexis company but that doesn't solve my problem. We shall see what the local dealers will do if anything.

In any case thank you Mr.Mower for starting this thread.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

The black replacement fuel tank would make it impossible to visually check the fuel. Even with the current white tank you have to get off and flip up the seat.
I am going to call my dealer and see if he will get the parts for me and let me do the work. He can bill them for the labor I don't care.
I did replace the battery. It just grinds after just about one year exactly. It sort of tells me my mower was sitting in a warehouse somewhere for a year and a half or so.
I got the neutral switch problem solved with a stick on rubber spacer for temporary and there is also an adjustment too which I saw on you tube from a dealer. (search hustler flip up)

The fuel gauge is probably too sophisticated for a lawn mower. Every damn thing has to have chips in it. Including my ******* Gillette razor handle. I love the Fusion shave but when the battery drops to a certain level the vibrator/buzzer goes OFF. Why not just let the battery run down? The problem is probably from that Melexis company but that doesn't solve my problem. We shall see what the local dealers will do if anything.

In any case thank you Mr.Mower for starting this thread.

Well glad I could be of help of some sorts.

I definitely don't consider myself an "expert" (like a few others here do) and "I never will".

If I can help someone out with info then great. Because that is why I come on here, just for that as well, learning as I go along.

Good to know that you corrected the problem with your battery. Afterwards I had thought about it and was going to add that just maybe the original battery had a bad cell(s) and was causing the battery to weaken quicker or die out faster?

My Flip Up still has the same battery from when it was first delivered to me back in 2016. I installed a battery charger connector that is connected directly to the battery so that I can quickly connect the battery charger to it without having to flip up the seat and make connections to the battery the old way.

It's a simple and easy process. Just plug in and start the charge, gives you an indication once the battery is fully charged and your all set.

Just maybe your original battery just needed distilled water added to a cell(s) along with a good long charge and it would have been good to go?

Doesn't matter anyway now!

G

gene_stl

UPDATE

So my dealer actually took pretty good care of me. He came and picked up the Raptor FlipUp and did replace the fuel tank (with the stupid black one {:eek:(( Now you CAN'T look at te fuel level. And there is a dog leg in the filler so you can't look in there )
I put a new battery in it myself. I let the dealer sell me the springy front forks and the seat springs kit to take some of the sting out of having to come and get it.
Now about five months later the fuel gauge doesn't work AGAIN. Also maybe one of his technicians hooked something up wrong (I hope) because in order to use the flip up feature you have to press the switch that is hooked to the flip up locking lever which you can only do by flipping the seat forward. So to use the flip up feature I have to get help so someone can hold the seat.

The reason "I hope" that one of the dealers repair guys plugged something in wrong or backwards is that this thing seems to have a control circuit board. Probably with a damn microprocessor on it. This could be the root of some of these problems. I haven't yet noticed where this control board might be but when it warms up maybe I will look.

I also have had annoyances with it stopping suddenly while I am mowing. That only happened about three times and stopped happening but it doesn't give you great confidence.

I do LOVE the way it cuts. With the springy front forks it rides good on my bumpy and huge lawn.

There was another thread here where someone posted a link to boat fuel senders and gauges. If this headache persists past the warranty that will be the solution.

J

John Fitzgerald

I have the same round fuel gauge on my Fastrak I bought new this past August. It seems to work, at least tells if the tank is full or near empty. The gauge jumps all over the place when the mower is moving. I don't really need a gauge anyway. I filled it to where I can see fuel in the neck before every other mowing, and I never came close to running out of gas with that 5 gallon tank. I don't think I would bother to take it in for a failed gauge, but would only have it fixed if in to the shop for some other warranty reason. The dealer where I bought it is about 15 miles. I would make an appointment for approximate date because mowers to be worked on (and to sell) sit outside until they get around to selling or working on them. I don't like my mowers sitting out in the weather.

BTW, my fuel tank is all black plastic.

G

gene_stl

Well it looks like some of the yacht fuel gauges would fit in the same hole. And also my hours gauge is off because if you inadvertently leave the ignition on it keeps running rather than having some kind of sensor to detect if the engine is running . (Yes I agree that would be very sophisticated for a mower but so is the rotatory magnet tech they used for this fuel sensor which SHOULD work. this is not a moon shot after all)

I think if they put a fuel gauge on it should work. It is part of what you paid for. Also since the replacement tank is black ( I can see the point of black for things that are going to be exposed directly to the sun but these tanks are completely covered.) you can't see the fuel level at all. This is just stooopid and aggravating. And I don't care to schlep a fuel jerry can out to a mower that might have run dry. jmo.

Boobala

Boobala

WELL Finally !!!

mhavanti

mhavanti

gene,

I finally received a part needed to work on the hour gauge fiasco on pretty much any and all equipment. Hopefully after a few other projects are completed, I'll get on the engine run hour gauge set up.

Once I find a dual out rectifier, I'll also be working on a blade engaged hour meter as well. That way anyone wanting to know how long their blades are engaged (engine has to be running) will like this I'm betting. Especially for commercial operations. I can see how a commercial owner would like to be able to see how long the machine time compared to cutting time to better cost out operations.

Will make a video of both installations for those that may want to install them.

Hey Boob!

Max

G

gene_stl

gene,

I finally received a part needed to work on the hour gauge fiasco on pretty much any and all equipment. Hopefully after a few other projects are completed, I'll get on the engine run hour gauge set up.

Once I find a dual out rectifier, I'll also be working on a blade engaged hour meter as well. That way anyone wanting to know how long their blades are engaged (engine has to be running) will like this I'm betting. Especially for commercial operations. I can see how a commercial owner would like to be able to see how long the machine time compared to cutting time to better cost out operations.

Will make a video of both installations for those that may want to install them.

Hey Boob!

Max

I am pretty good with electronics. Tell me what you need and I'll build a couple of them.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Gene,

Sent you a PM.

Max

H

HEWENT2PARIS

I have had my 54" Flip Up for 13 months and my sending unit/ gauge has failed twice. The mower has 35 hours on it. I truly don't see how anyone could use this for business. I've had multiple failures ( deck lift etc) and I just cut my yard. Sure, you can open gas filler nozzle and look but this mower was not cheap. I should expect a mower like this to have better parts and design. I'm afraid I can't recommend the Hustler/ Bad Boy brand.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

gene,

Hey Boob!

Max

What's the latest update or progress on the above mentioned?

Is there a video?

J

Jwilsonallison

So far good, I'm glad to say. :thumbsup:

But still only time will really be the factor on this.

The very first time that I encountered this, I actually did research on this problem specifically with the fuel tanks internal fuel sending units gauge design (I was able to get a copy of the fuel sending gauge internal design) along with it's electrical components and determined what the problem might be.

I first called Hustler Corp. and spoke with their engineer and explained the problem that I was encountering I was told that Hustler Corp. was aware of the problem and that it was only a matter of just replacing the fuel tank and fuel tanks internal sending unit to correct the problem.

After being told that, I knew that I could perform the task myself but Hustler Corp. would not allow sending the parts directly to me since it is considered a safety issue and that the only way to have it replaced was through an authorized Hustler service dealership (which I already knew) and that since my mower was still under warranty that it would be done at no cost. So I had the dealership do it and it worked fine for a few months but then the same problem happened again.

I contacted and spoke with the original manufacturer's ( Excel/Kelch ) engineer on the original design of the fuel tanks internal "fuel sending gauge", explained to them what I considered was the "root cause" specifically to the problem and it was determined that the units internal electrical components would become faulty over a short period of time and stay either "open" or "closed", resulting in the fuel gauge indicator showing either just "full" or "empty" and would not move.

I experienced this twice now since the first time this happened, the dealership just replaced the fuel tank along with the fuel sending unit with original equipment and well of course the problem came back after a few months (figured that it would).

The second time this happened I knew what I was in for since my mower is under warranty. So I took it a step further and called around and spoke with several other Hustler Authorized dealerships technicians and mechanics around the country and they all basically told me the same thing about just replacing the fuel tank and fuel sending unit with the exception of two places.

These two places basically explained me that Hustler Corp. knows about the problem with the faulty fuel tanks internal fuel gauge sending unit (which I already knew) and that Hustler determined that the fuel tanks internal fuel sending unit was a faulty design and was in the process of having it corrected with a new design concept.

So now this second time, again fuel tank has been replaced this time though the entire fuel tank is black in color no longer white and of course along with the newly designed fuel tanks internal fuel sending unit.

So again, only time will tell for sure if the problem is actually fixed for good once and for all or ?

Flip the seat up and check your mowers fuel tank, what color is it?....that should give you and indication but either way contact a Hustler Authorized sales & service place and they should take it from there to correct the problem (I would assume that your mowers is under warranty since it is a 2018 model so you should not have to pay for anything only transportation if needed for pick up and delivery, unless of course you can take care of that yourself?)

Good luck and hopefully this info helps you out in anyway. Also keep us posted on your decision on what you plan on doing.

Menards if you have any other questions regarding the fuel gauge problem send me a PM.

Do you have a part number you can share? I bought a used 2016 Raptor Flip Up and the fuel gauge just died.

Also, does the sender pop out or screw out of the fuel tank?

Thanks!!

Mower King

Mower King

I have had my 54" Flip Up for 13 months and my sending unit/ gauge has failed twice. The mower has 35 hours on it. I truly don't see how anyone could use this for business. I've had multiple failures ( deck lift etc) and I just cut my yard. Sure, you can open gas filler nozzle and look but this mower was not cheap. I should expect a mower like this to have better parts and design. I'm afraid I can't recommend the Hustler/ Bad Boy brand.

Bad Boy is NOT part of Hustler....Big Dog is!

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

Do you have a part number you can share? I bought a used 2016 Raptor Flip Up and the fuel gauge just died.

Also, does the sender pop out or screw out of the fuel tank?

Thanks!!

The Fuel Tank's Sending Unit pop's out, though be extremely careful when performing this, just take your time gently working it out and it will eventually come off/pop up.

Here is the Fuel Tanks new Sending Unit's part number: 607052
( https://www.hustlerlawnmowerparts.com/cart.php )

Raptor Flip Up Fuel Sending Unit Replacement PN# 607052 pic#2.jpgRaptor Flip Up Fuel Sending Unit Replacement PN# 607052 pic#5.jpg

Attachments