Export thread

Hustler FasTrak parking brakes do not work

R

ron59

I am new to this forum, so here is a little info about me and my problem. I live in Oklahoma and am a residential user. I have 2 mowers, a 2005 John Deere LT180 that I purchased new. I really like the mower and it still serves me well. I have close to 500 hours on it and have had no major problems.
The second is a 2008 Hustler FasTrak SD 36, that I recently purchased, used. It has low hours and is in fair condition. One problem I have discovered is that the parking brakes do not work. I think they are electronically activated by a switch on each steering control. I have looked under the deck and found a switch for each control, but it looks like they are against the steering lever all the time. I cannot see any movement between the switches and control lever when I set or release the control lever. Are there any Hustler owners familiar with this problem?

M

Mad Mackie

Get the model and serial numbers from your machine, go to hustlerturf.com, click on manuals, find your specific machine and download the manual.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

M

MRCo.

The switches are jut for the safety interlock. The brake is hydro static and controlled by a linkage rod found on the inside face of each transmission. You just need to tighten the ny lock nut to make sure the linkage is pulling the brake on. Manual: http://www.hustlerturf.com/images/product_manuals/114241.pdf

R

ron59

Thanks for both of your replies. I adjusted the parking brake spring to the specifications I found in the Hustler service manual,
.85 - .95 inches. Before I started, the spring gap on both sides was about an 1 1/4 inch. I adjusted both down to just a little under 1 inch. When I tried to run the motors they were both locked up. I backed both springs out about 2 turns and tried again. This time the wheels would move but the motors were making a clicking sound, so I started backing them out a little at a time until the noises in both motors went away. But, unfortunately, the parking brakes still do not work. There is a dealer about 5 miles away, so I think I will talk with the service manager and probably let them look at the brakes before I possibly make matters worse. Not having parking brakes is not that much of a problem to me, just an annoyance, but I would like for everything to work as it should.

Briana

Briana

Welcome to LawnWorld!

We moved your thread to the Hustler forum.