Husqvarna Z254F Zero Turn Grease Fittings?

terracat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have a new Husqvarna Z254F zero turn mower. I’m greasing the zerk fittings, there are 7 of them. However, the 3 spindle fittings look strange. My grease gun attached to the 4 zerk fittings on the wheel bearings with no issue. However, I can’t figure out what I’m supposed to do with the 3 spindles. My gun won't attach to the threaded fitting you see in the photos. Any thoughts on how to get grease in there? They look like threads and not a typical zerk fitting. I’ve posted a photo of a typical zerk fitting on my mower, which are what I am used to seeing. Am I missing something on the spindle fittings? The lawn mower is brand new.

Attachments

• IMG_7196.jpg
    IMG_7196.jpg
    900.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7198.jpg
    IMG_7198.jpg
    875 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7199.jpg
    IMG_7199.jpg
    776.7 KB · Views: 17

terracat

Forum Newbie
Threads
The only thing in the manual about the spindles and zerk fittings are where to grease them. They don't explain what you're supposed to do with the spindle fittings. They look like threads and not a typical zerk.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-01 202423.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-01 202423.png
    183.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2023-08-01 202449.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-01 202449.png
    167.1 KB · Views: 4

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The hole in the spindle ends is where the grease nipple would go if it was a greasable spindle
Yours appear not to be
IF the hole has a thread then you can try to screw a grease nipple in there but in new machines the spindle nipple is generally a press fit ( where fitted )
California models will not have grease nipples
As you seem to want to look aster your mower properly then get a can of white lithium spray grease .
Make sure the can has a straw
Apply it liberally where ever 2 metal bits move between each other deck lifts , lap bars & tension pulley arms

terracat

Forum Newbie
Threads
The hole in the spindle ends is where the grease nipple would go if it was a greasable spindle
Yours appear not to be
IF the hole has a thread then you can try to screw a grease nipple in there but in new machines the spindle nipple is generally a press fit ( where fitted )
California models will not have grease nipples
As you seem to want to look aster your mower properly then get a can of white lithium spray grease .
Make sure the can has a straw
Apply it liberally where ever 2 metal bits move between each other deck lifts , lap bars & tension pulley arms
Based on the photos I shared, my spindles are not greasable? Is that what you're trying to say? In my manual, it states that the spindles are greasable and to grease them every 50 hours or so. Do you have a suggestion on where I'd find a nipple that would screw onto that location?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the inside of the holes with some thing thin & hard like a long sewing needle
Run it up the side feeling for threads and down the middle to see if the hole goes down more than 1/2 "
We get EU, General US & Cal spec mowers down here
The Cal ones have no grease nipples ( Idiot EPA regulations )
The owners manual for the Z-Master actually shows me to remove various bolts, screw in a grease nipple, apply grease , clean the area the swap the nipple for the original bolt.
The EU sec mower comes with grease nipples fitted.
The spindle may have a hole because it is turned on an auto lathe and the hole is needed for alignment in the lathe and not for grease.
The owners manual could be wrong because you have the greaseless spindles fitted & it is for the greasable spindles
Check the parts book
If you have sealed deep groove ball bearing races on the spidles then better than average chance you have greaseless spindles .

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Based on the photos I shared, my spindles are not greasable? Is that what you're trying to say? In my manual, it states that the spindles are greasable and to grease them every 50 hours or so. Do you have a suggestion on where I'd find a nipple that would screw onto that location?
here is what you need, they just screw into those threaded holes and then you can lube 'em up

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
here is what you need, they just screw into those threaded holes and then you can lube 'em up

Won't work because the shaft isn't drilled all the way down with the crossdrilled hole. So no place for the grease to go if you put in the zerk.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
take the spindle out then and grease the darn thing

boatcml

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought one last year and had the same question., I pulled the foot plate off today and there is a decal on the bottom that only shows the front wheels being greased.