Export thread

Husqvarna YTH21K46 Motor Swap Done. Need Throttle Cable Advice

J

JonnyBlaze

It's me again! Lol.

So a couple months ago I bought a 2012 YTH21K46 with a grenaded 21hp Kohler Courage. I put it aside until I could find new motor.

Yesterday, I found a 22hp Briggs Intek Vtwin removed from a John Deere and it got me wondering if it would fit. So I remembered I had a blown one I removed for a swap in my L120, lo and behold it lined right up, same connectors, and even the drive pulley slid right on.

So today, and drove to Maine and bought the motor. Unfortunately I didn't get to hear it run but only cost me $100 with exhaust and my time.

Tonight I got it all installed. Everything went without a hitch. Only thing I had to do was reroute fuel line to other side (right next to starter cable, is that a problem?) and drill a hole in muffler to mount. Also had to use bolt for drive pulley since the pulley was shorter than the jd one.

Tomorrow I will attempt to start it. Too late tonight.

Anyway, only problem I see, for now, is the throttle cable is obviously toooooo short. The Kohler Courage had the side mount throttle control like the Briggs single cylinders and this one mounts on the front.

Any suggestions? Oh! And what should I do with the gas tank vent hose? I dont remember where it went.

Attachments

Boobala

Boobala

Johnny, Johnny, Jonny......

YOU need to start reading some mower & engine manuals ( LOL ) the fuel line should be fine as long as it's not rubbing against anything, I'm not familiar with this JD tank vent so no help there, maybe another member has that info., the stack pulley should be close in alignment for the drive belt and hopefully with the deck belt ( if not you may encounter problems in that area ) well.... try to fire it up, and keep us posted ..Boo

John if you're getting into "flippin" mowers send me your e-mail address in a PM then I can send you lots of literature & manuals ( I cant post PDF manuals on the site)

ALSO : watch these 2 video's TO THE VERY END !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7rvHH0IPPk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL6WmE7pPKs

J

JonnyBlaze

Johnny, Johnny, Jonny......

YOU need to start reading some mower & engine manuals ( LOL ) the fuel line should be fine as long as it's not rubbing against anything, I'm not familiar with this JD tank vent so no help there, maybe another member has that info., the stack pulley should be close in alignment for the drive belt and hopefully with the deck belt ( if not you may encounter problems in that area ) well.... try to fire it up, and keep us posted ..Boo

John if you're getting into "flippin" mowers send me your e-mail address in a PM then I can send you lots of literature & manuals ( I cant post PDF manuals on the site)
The starter cable is a few inches from touching the fuel line.

The drive/ deck pulley is the Husqy one and lines up perfect.

The vent line is the oem one from Husqy gas tank.

I started flipping mowers two years ago. I love it and anything you have to offer would be great! Thanks. I'll pm you now. I'll get it fired up in the morning. Here's hoping its a good motor!

L

Luffydog

Like the jd green lol. Buy a cable that's in that unit that a Briggs came out of

L

Luffydog

The vent should hook up on the side of your engine it should have a little plastic fitting sticking out for it. Take a better pic of mower with it showing the throttle hook up and leakages should be round near the governor. As far as mounting the throttle cable to the muffler it will melt and will not work for long. Take that pic and post it up.

Boobala

Boobala

JOHN you sent me an email through the forum I guess I got a notice but no email .. I SAID a PM PERSONAL MESSAGE click on my name goes to my profile page in upper left corner see send a PM then its just like you're posting here......

Boobala

Boobala

NEVER MIND LAST POST ... I got your email go back and RE read my edited post .. sent you 2 youtubes to see

Boobala

Boobala

The vent should hook up on the side of your engine it should have a little plastic fitting sticking out for it. Take a better pic of mower with it showing the throttle hook up and leakages should be round near the governor. As far as mounting the throttle cable to the muffler it will melt and will not work for long. Take that pic and post it up.

I THINK the little black fitting right above the orange warning label is where Luffydog says to hook your fuel vent line

B&S F.jpg click to enlarge

J

JonnyBlaze

I THINK the little black fitting right above the orange warning label is where Luffydog says to hook your fuel vent line

View attachment 36917 click to enlarge
This new motor doesn't have it. Should I tuck it out of the way or do you think it needs to be hooked up somewhere?

J

JonnyBlaze

So I need a choke and throttle cable. Choke, I think I can just go to the auto parts store and buy a universal one. And maybe buy two and modify the throttle cable with a longer cable.

Here is a pic.

Attachments

J

JonnyBlaze

Found the th throttle cable from the L120 I took that blown motor from. Looks like it will work. Just need to pick up a universal choke cable.

Here is a video.
https://youtu.be/oBtz5gvD2fs

Boobala

Boobala

Here's a few pics might be helpful ......

kijuyh.jpg..._choke_throttle_cables.JPG..._choke_link.JPG...MAN.CHOKE.jpg

third pic is BOTTOM view of carb showing choke linkage

Boobala

Boobala

Something good to know...... I saw in your pic you have this brand of fuel line..

NOTICE OF FAILURE.PNG ... I sure as hell WON'T use it, how would you know if the inner liner collapsed ?? NO, NO, NO .....

J

JonnyBlaze

Something good to know...... I saw in your pic you have this brand of fuel line..

View attachment 36940 ... I sure as hell WON'T use it, how would you know if the inner liner collapsed ?? NO, NO, NO .....
Its what was on it. Ill look into it. Thanks.

J

JonnyBlaze

Bought a new choke cable at NAPA and had to cut it up and use it to modify the original cable as the L120 cable was still too short. So that worked out great. Now I got go get another choke cable and hook that up. Already found the perfect spot.

Attachments

J

JonnyBlaze

Ok, so today I got the choke cable on and took it for a spin. Now its surging a little bit and runs fine with the choke out about a quarter of an inch. Then it coughs once when I turn it off.

Video

https://youtu.be/E162-4wXFAc

Boobala

Boobala

Sounds to me like you have a carb. cleaning or O/H ahead, some of the Briggs Twins used a Nikki 2 Bbl. carb. and some used a Nikki 1 Bbl. carb., (Taryl fixes all on Youtube) has some excellent videos on the procedure, WARNING : if you go into the carb, Pictures FIRST, and remove Float bowl carefully.. DO IT UPSIDE DOWN... as these carbs have a habit of dropping the tiny main jets into the bowl SEE VIDEO'S and if it has 2 jets, one is left and one is right here's a couple vids on the 2 (TWO) Bbl. I don't know which you have ..The 1 Bbl. carb. has a fuel bowl Assy. ....... quite the same as the Nikki carb. used on a Briggs (med. HP) SINGLE cyl. eng.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emsafzhGLC0

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...43E1F1410E483B2CD2F943E1F&fsscr=0&FORM=VDMCNL

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Nikki+Carburetor+Overhaul+Kit&Form=VQFRVP

J

JonnyBlaze

Sounds to me like you have a carb. cleaning or O/H ahead, some of the Briggs Twins used a Nikki 2 Bbl. carb. and some used a Nikki 1 Bbl. carb., (Taryl fixes all on Youtube) has some excellent videos on the procedure, WARNING : if you go into the carb, Pictures FIRST, and remove Float bowl carefully.. DO IT UPSIDE DOWN... as these carbs have a habit of dropping the tiny main jets into the bowl SEE VIDEO'S and if it has 2 jets, one is left and one is right here's a couple vids on the 2 (TWO) Bbl. I don't know which you have ..The 1 Bbl. carb. has a fuel bowl Assy. ....... quite the same as the Nikki carb. used on a Briggs (med. HP) SINGLE cyl. eng.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emsafzhGLC0

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...43E1F1410E483B2CD2F943E1F&fsscr=0&FORM=VDMCNL

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Nikki+Carburetor+Overhaul+Kit&Form=VQFRVP
That's what I was thinking. Weird that it ran fine yesterday. I'll look into it tomorrow. Thanks for all the info!

Boobala

Boobala

AHHhhhh I finally found my video of the Nikki 1 barrel carb. used on the Briggs twin, a lil different than those used on the Briggs SINGLE cylinder...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i41DYDs-soQ&t=8s

J

JonnyBlaze

Well all fixed! That was easy. Noticed a bunch of gas on bracketry under carb. Pulled carb off and removed bowl and was spotless. Plugged the fuel cutoff solenoid in and didn't budge. Tried plunging it with carb cleaner and needle nose pliers and that didn't work. Luckily I had a few spare carbs laying around and took one of the solenoids off it. Put it all back together and runs like new!

Only concern I have now, any chance I might have gotten gas in the oil since the carb was flooding out? New oil so dont want to change it if I don't have too. I can't smell so I can't tell.

Boobala

Boobala

Well all fixed! That was easy. Noticed a bunch of gas on bracketry under carb. Pulled carb off and removed bowl and was spotless. Plugged the fuel cutoff solenoid in and didn't budge. Tried plunging it with carb cleaner and needle nose pliers and that didn't work. Luckily I had a few spare carbs laying around and took one of the solenoids off it. Put it all back together and runs like new!

Only concern I have now, any chance I might have gotten gas in the oil since the carb was flooding out? New oil so dont want to change it if I don't have too. I can't smell so I can't tell.

After ALL that !! you're too "chinchy" for a few quarts of OIL ..?? I'm gonna have to RE-examine this "buddy-buddy" thing ..:laughing:..:laughing: .......One good thing about no "smeller" ..... farts won't bother ya!! .. :thumbsup:

J

JonnyBlaze

After ALL that !! you're too "chinchy" for a few quarts of OIL ..?? I'm gonna have to RE-examine this "buddy-buddy" thing ..:laughing:..:laughing: .......One good thing about no "smeller" ..... farts won't bother ya!! .. :thumbsup:
No, I just don't like wasting anything. So you think I should?

Sometimes Id like to smell a fart just to see what all the fuss is about. ;)

Boobala

Boobala

No, I just don't like wasting anything. So you think I should?

Sometimes Id like to smell a fart just to see what all the fuss is about. ;)

A few quarts of OIL is a hell of a lot cheaper than a damaged engine OR LOST sleep !! .. YESSS !! ..:thumbsup:

I'm having Baked-Beans N Deviled eggs, and a few "Kraut-Dogs" I should be able to fulfill your nostrils with a tear-jerking odor by dinnertime !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:

J

JonnyBlaze

Went ahead and changed the oil again. No biggie.