Export thread

Husqvarna will not crank without carb cleaner

C

catthead

I have a Husqvarna riding mower, model YTH23. The only way I can get it to crank is by taking the air filter off and spraying carb cleaner down the carb. After this, it cranks up and runs great. If I let it sit for more than an hour or so, I have to spray the carb cleaner again to get it started. Can anyone help with my problem?

K

KennyV

WELCOME to LMF....

I think I follow what you are saying... although your terminology is wrong....
I think you are saying, it cranks fine,(cranking is done using the electric starter motor), but the engine will not start unless you spray a flammable liquid directly into the carb...

You are having a fuel delivery problem for sure... If I have interpreted you correctly.
Start at the carb, disconnect the fuel line and check that you get fuel to that point....
:smile:KennyV

C

catthead

My terminology isn't correct. And you're right. It will crank fine but will not start. It has a fuel pump and I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and gas came out. So I think fuel delivery is ok? Problem with the carb?

K

KennyV

Problem with the carb?

Your problem will be at the carburetor...
First place to check is the float & float bowl.
You can see the carb cleaning & check procedures at:
part 1, Disassembly, Cleaning and Repair of Briggs and Stratton Intek V-twin Two-Barrel Nikki Carburetor - Part 1
part 2, Disassembly, Cleaning and Repair of Briggs and Stratton Intek V-twin Two-Barrel Nikki Carburetor - Part 2

Before getting into the carb, check the solenoid under the carb to see that it is getting 12 volts with the ignition key in the on position... You should hear/feel it click when you turn the key to on. (that is item #4, pictured in part 1 above.... :smile:KennyV

C

catthead

Thanks! I'll check it out this week!

M

mowerloser

Thanks! I'll check it out this week!

I am having the same exact problem. Did you find a fix for this?

BlazNT

BlazNT

I am having the same exact problem. Did you find a fix for this?

This thread is 4 years old. Please start a new thread and include your mower model number and engine model number. We will be happy to help.