Husqvarna Fuel issue

Big Cat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I've seen some other post with a similar issue but they never post if it has been resolved. I have a Husqvarna 48-in cut with a briggs 21hp motor (38577-0349-E1) I got it used in a trade last year and its always had issues. Currently I am trying to revive it. I removed the Carb. and soaked it in cleaner then sprayed out everywhere I could find to spray. I found that the solenoid switch is not working properly. Would it be safe to just remove this an replace it with a bolt? I found that briggs sells a replacement bolt of older models of this engine. Second, If I replace this with a bolt and still have issues with starting what should I look at?

tomsteve

Threads
im gonna guesss yer referring to the anti afterfire solenoid? what ya can do is either snip off or remove the pintle on the solenoid and put it back on.
starting issues- can you explain whats happening?
did you completely dismantle the carb when ya cleaned it?

Big Cat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought about snipping the pin on the solenoid but wasn't sure how important this part was. I know what it does just didn't want to create a safety problem. When I cleaned the carb I removed it and removed the bowl before soaking. Basically I turn the key and the engine turns but never starts. I can spray carb cleaner in it and it will run on that. I put fresh fuel in the tank and checked that fuel is moving through the fuel pump to the carb. I can see gas coming up trough the jets when it is trying to start but I don't know how much gas I should be seeing....

Big Cat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought about snipping the pin on the solenoid but wasn't sure how important this part was. I know what it does just didn't want to create a safety problem. When I cleaned the carb I removed it and removed the bowl before soaking. Basically I turn the key and the engine turns but never starts. I can spray carb cleaner in it and it will run on that. I put fresh fuel in the tank and checked that fuel is moving through the fuel pump to the carb. I can see gas coming up trough the jets when it is trying to start but I don't know how much gas I should be seeing....

Anyone have any ideas?

tomsteve

Threads
I have saved some people some cash by snipping the pintle off and only suggestion I give them is to idle down the engine for a bit before shutting it off. this allows the exhaust to cool down a bit helping relieve of the afterfire "pop."
I also put an inline fuel filter in. I suggest that on all riders that come in to keep gas from leaking into the combustion chamber then past the rings and into the crank and to help keep the carb clean.

" I can see gas coming up trough the jets when it is trying to start but I don't know how much gas I should be seeing...."
are you referring to in the throat of the carb?
I would suggest snipping the pintle on the solenoid first and see what happens.

Big Cat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have saved some people some cash by snipping the pintle off and only suggestion I give them is to idle down the engine for a bit before shutting it off. this allows the exhaust to cool down a bit helping relieve of the afterfire "pop."
I also put an inline fuel filter in. I suggest that on all riders that come in to keep gas from leaking into the combustion chamber then past the rings and into the crank and to help keep the carb clean.

" I can see gas coming up trough the jets when it is trying to start but I don't know how much gas I should be seeing...."

thanks I will try that tonight.

Big Cat

Forum Newbie
Threads

I'm not too mechanically inclined so bear with me. I am referring to the two copper "tubes" coming up from the bowl in the carb.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yah, they came out with the afterfire solenoid when they started coming out with the quieter mufflers. When the key is shut off,
the engine still keeps revolving, and thus pumping unburned fuel/air into the muffler full of glowing red hot baffles, and eventually you will get an explosion/pop. Idling the engine way down before shutting off will decrease the amount of unburned fuel at least.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you turn your keyswitch to the first position, you should hear an audible click from the carb solenoid, if not, check for voltage to it, as well as where it goes to ground.

Big Cat

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK I snipped the pin off and it runs now. Thank you. The pin must not have been retracting all the way and was restricting gas flow. I drove it around the yard a few times and noticed after that there was gas spilled out around the carb and I saw a good bit of fuel on top of the carb. not sure what that's about ill need to watch that area while its running and see what I can find.