Export thread

HS45 Hedge Trimmer has me pulling out my hair

T

Tezzler

I bought a cheap HS45 adn have tried to fix it. I have litterally changed everything including piston rings and still it refuses to start. I did have the wrong coil (pre 2001) but now have the correct coil.
What's really funny is that I thought if I could get it turning quickly it would start. So I took off the cover and tried it with an electric drill (clockwise) on the 13mm nut , it started within seconds and run really well.
Then I reallised it should be anti clockwise (looking at the flywheel) , when tried with the drill, it didn't start.
So it seems to be a timing issue but the only thing that could be wrong is the flywheel key and that's fine??
Anyone any ideas on what could be off?
Thanks

M

mechanic mark

what grade fuel you using? two cycle oil?
See page 8 regarding gasoline grade, Instruction Manual above.

StarTech

StarTech

see if you can get the dealer to pull up Service note 25.2005. It about the flywheel but I don't have a copy here.

T

Tezzler

Thanks for the replies. Fuel is normal 2 stroke mixture and is working fine in my blower. I think its flywheel / coil related.
I have now searched and searched on the internet and it would seem that I have to find a coil that isn't made anymore .......
So pre 2001 is a 4140 1300 - these are made in China and seem to be OK
2002 to 2007 ish - 4140 1303 / 1306 - This is the one I need!!
2007 is to 2013 - 4140 1308 - these are made in China and seem to be OK
2013 onwards 4140 1309 - these are made by Stihl

So lots of searching last night and I have located a second hand coil - so fingers crossed. The alternative is to grind of the key in the flywheel and rotate.

RYANS'

RYANS'

I believe you will resolve the issue with another coil. One to match your fly wheel. Good luck my friend.

Fish

Fish

see if you can get the dealer to pull up Service note 25.2005. It about the flywheel but I don't have a copy here.
That is just the one telling you to keep the grease away from the flywheel, it is on pretty much every model.
greasefree.JPG

Fish

Fish

Here is the one that likely applies.

45.JPG

T

Tezzler

It's working!!!
Put in a SH 1303A coil and it started on the 2nd pull.
So moral is don't believe Stihl and the 1303A coil is the only one that will fit a 2006 machine

RYANS'

RYANS'

Congratulations your hedge trimmer is fixed. I have the same tool, and I have made many money with this. I wonder if the coil was the manufacturer fault. My friend you may have found a flaw.