HRX217HYA4 Recoil Starter

HONDA-GUY

Threads
Ok so I went to replace the recoil starter on my HRX217HYA and 2 of the nuts just spin and spin. I'm guessing they are stuck/frozen to the studs, any ideas on how to get them off? Will the studs eventually screw themselves out and it will come free? Never ran across this on a Honda engine before.

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes you are correct, the studs which the nuts are on will come out. You'll then have to remove the entire shroud and grab the studs with a pliers to remove the nuts, and get at the starter. Install the studs and put a little anti-sieze on the threads which the nuts go on to make it easier to remove the next time.

HONDA-GUY

Threads
Yes you are correct, the studs which the nuts are on will come out. You'll then have to remove the entire shroud and grab the studs with a pliers to remove the nuts, and get at the starter. Install the studs and put a little anti-sieze on the threads which the nuts go on to make it easier to remove the next time.

Thanks for the info! I was pretty sure they would but wanted to make sure, didn't want to strip anything or cause any damage that would require a trip to the shop.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I usually give the top thread on the studs a good wire brushing to make the thread a little looser on honda's that stubbornly have sticking nuts.
On extreme cases it was locktite on the bottom, anti sieze on the top nut then a drop of liquid electrical tape on the end of the thread to prevent any water wicking in and rusting the nut to the stud, It also acts as a locking mechanism preventing the nut from loosening in use.