hrx217hya suction issue

Boloson

Threads
Hey everyone,

My Honda hrx217 just started having suction issues. Before, upon startup the bag would inflate & it would suck up small twigs & leaves with zero issues & left the lawn prestine. Now, upon start up the bag doesn't inflate at all. Assuming everything internal is normal, would a dirty bag suffocate the suction effect?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes and scrub the under side of the deck while you are at it. Lots of rain in some places. Your deck is probably clogged up. Honda's are not the best baggers.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When was the blade last sharpened? Is the wing on the back of the blade thin and worn? Did someone replace the blade with the wrong one for bagging? Each one of these answers could be an indicator of your problem.

Boloson

Threads
It lost suction recently & the blades were not touched so I was ruling the blade out. Didn't even know they made different blades for this machine

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the thickness on the back of the blade wing is less than half the thickness of the blade, I would recommend replacing the blade. Who ever does your blade sharpening should be checking this. Reason for than one type of blade is there are more than one type of end user. Baggers, side dischagers and those like me mulchers. Difference strokes for different folks.

Boloson

Threads
Good to know. I'll check the blades also & report back. Thanks everyone

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just replace the blade and move along with life. Clean the deck and wash the bag out in a bucket of soapy water.

NO power washing required.

HurstGN

Threads
No need to replace a blade if it's perfectly good and perhaps could use a good sharpening. Plus for those that do replace blades, be sure to properly sharpen them before first use. It's amazing how crappy factory blades are with regards to sharpening and balance. Most are not in balance when new.

Best bet is the bag is clogged up. Remove it from the frame and turn inside-out. Scrub it with a mild soap and water, then rinse well. Be sure to rinse so the water is pushing through the bag from the outside to the inside, basically in the reverse direction of air flow. Allow to fully air dry before using.