HRX217HYA self propel problems

Ben48

Forum Newbie
Threads
While cutting today I noticed that my mower was moving slower than usual. I moved my adjustment lever and speeded up a bit but not as much as it should have. One more lap around the yard and the self propel quit. Everything seems normal. Any help wil be appreciated. Thank you in advance....Ben48

Threads
Something similar happened to me, but it was fine and then it all of a sudden just stopped. The problem was that one of the gears was worn. I don't know if that could be your fix, but that is all I can think of.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
While cutting today I noticed that my mower was moving slower than usual. I moved my adjustment lever and speeded up a bit but not as much as it should have. One more lap around the yard and the self propel quit. Everything seems normal. Any help wil be appreciated. Thank you in advance....Ben48

Ben, get me the serial number off the back of the mower deck. It's in the form of "MXXX-1234567" and I'll dig up some service information for you.

Agriffin1983

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Honda push mowers do that often. Check the shear pin in the driveshaft that goes from engine to gearbox. The pin is at the gearbox end

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Honda push mowers do that often. Check the shear pin in the driveshaft that goes from engine to gearbox. The pin is at the gearbox end

Honda HRX mowers are all belt-drive models, so no shear pin / driveshaft to check.

You are probably thinking of the older Honda HR-series (HR215, HR215) and current HRC models that still use the driveshaft design.

I'd suspect the cable is the problem here...

RayinCA

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought my HRX217HYA back in June this year, and today I experienced the exact same behavior that Ben48 has described. I've been using the mower once per week without any issues until today. I had started to possibly notice a strange mechanical vibration noise the last few uses but brushed it off as a normal rattle (it was not very noticeable).

The one difference today from other days is the weather was significantly cooler. In my case, the self propel was just crawling along at mabye 1/5 speed, and was barely acceptable when set to full speed. It later started to speed up a bit but when I dropped back down to low speed the same thing occurred.

The belt is tight, the cable moves freely and moves the leaver at the clutch as expected, the cable looks good and is seated properly. It seems as though the problem is internal to the clutch.

Threads
I bought my HRX217HYA back in June this year, and today I experienced the exact same behavior that Ben48 has described. I've been using the mower once per week without any issues until today. I had started to possibly notice a strange mechanical vibration noise the last few uses but brushed it off as a normal rattle (it was not very noticeable).

The one difference today from other days is the weather was significantly cooler. In my case, the self propel was just crawling along at mabye 1/5 speed, and was barely acceptable when set to full speed. It later started to speed up a bit but when I dropped back down to low speed the same thing occurred.

The belt is tight, the cable moves freely and moves the leaver at the clutch as expected, the cable looks good and is seated properly. It seems as though the problem is internal to the clutch.

If you don't want to do it yourself, it might be easier to just take it to a dealer, because it doesn't seem like a super easy fix. But whatever you decide, GOOD LUCK!
-lmf :smile: