Blades HRM 215 ROTO STOP

scalestick

Threads
My HRM 215 MOWER HAS PROBLEMS WITH THE ROTO STOP SLOWING DOWN IN THICK GRASS.I WAS WONDERING IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO DISABLE THE ROTO STOP TO ENABLE THE MOWER TO BE ENGAGED ALL THE TIME.AS I ALSO HAVE A 216 SELF PROPELLED WITH RUNS ALL THE TIME.THIS MIGHT BE IMPOSSIBLE BOTH SAFETY AND PERFORMANCE.OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS (SAFETY FIRST)
Thanks
SCALESTICK

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
My HRM 215 MOWER HAS PROBLEMS WITH THE ROTO STOP SLOWING DOWN IN THICK GRASS.I WAS WONDERING IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO DISABLE THE ROTO STOP TO ENABLE THE MOWER TO BE ENGAGED ALL THE TIME.AS I ALSO HAVE A 216 SELF PROPELLED WITH RUNS ALL THE TIME.THIS MIGHT BE IMPOSSIBLE BOTH SAFETY AND PERFORMANCE.OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS (SAFETY FIRST)
Thanks
SCALESTICK

On the back of the top rear of the HRM215's mower deck is a serial number in the form of "MXXX-1234567" and if you'll share that with me, I can look up specific service details for that mower. You are smart to keep safety first, and for that reason, you would not want to disable the Roto-Stop since this would allow the blades to continue spinning all the time and there's no operator presence lever to shut down the engine/blades when you step away from behind the handlebar.

Next, you say the 216 mower "runs all the time" so I assume it is a flywheel-brake style, where you DO have an operator presence (blade control) lever that shuts down the engine when you let go of the lever...is that right?

scalestick

Threads
Upon checking the mower for the numbers the only thing left is the model # .hrm 215 on a factory tag.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take a look at the attached pages from the shop manual. They can get you started. Sounds like the clutch for the blade control (a.k.a. "Roto-Stop") is worn out, but just a guess. Check the simple stuff (cable) first.

Attachments

• roto stop cable inspection and adjustment.jpg
    roto stop cable inspection and adjustment.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 140
  • troubleshooting.jpg
    troubleshooting.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 105
  • roto-stop 1 of 4.jpg
    roto-stop 1 of 4.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 127
  • roto-stop 2 of 4.jpg
    roto-stop 2 of 4.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 111
  • roto-stop 3 of 4.jpg
    roto-stop 3 of 4.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 107
  • roto-stop 4 of 4.jpg
    roto-stop 4 of 4.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 99

scalestick

Threads
Robert is their anything i should know before taking the roto stop apart.Really appreciate your help .I have air tools available .
Vance

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert is their anything i should know before taking the roto stop apart.Really appreciate your help .I have air tools available .
Vance

Take your time and follow the procedures. What I've posted is a good sample of the level of detail in the full shop manual, and you may wish to buy one to have it all in one printed book. Honda sell 'em direct on eBay for $35 shipped free; here's a link, and good luck with it:

Honda HRB215 HRB216 HRB217 HRM215 Lawn Mower Service Repair Manual 61VE2640E3 | eBay