HR214 Smoking and losing power

MKTex

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a HR214 that is likely 30 years old. It has been a beast (I personally have used it for 15 years). This season, it began smoking quite a bit (coming from the engine, not the exhaust) after about 30 minutes of use. It also seems to be losing power. I have changed out the oil and checked the air filter. Are there any gaskets or seals that likely need to be replaced, and can these be done by a non-professional.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a HR214 that is likely 30 years old. It has been a beast (I personally have used it for 15 years). This season, it began smoking quite a bit (coming from the engine, not the exhaust) after about 30 minutes of use. It also seems to be losing power. I have changed out the oil and checked the air filter. Are there any gaskets or seals that likely need to be replaced, and can these be done by a non-professional.

Smoke from the engine not the exhaust, Maybe from the crankcase vent? or leaking oil? What do you mean by losing power? Is the engine running bad? If so how dose it run?

MKTex

Forum Newbie
Threads
Smoke from the engine not the exhaust, Maybe from the crankcase vent? or leaking oil? What do you mean by losing power? Is the engine running bad? If so how dose it run?

The smoke is coming from the top and side of the engine, not sure which specific part. It is not a ton of smoke, but noticeable. The engine is running fine, but does not seem to rev as high as it used to. I notice the lack of power in that the engine seems to stall a lot more often when the blade is engaged, even when I am going through pretty reasonable, dry grass.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Degrease & wash the engine they use some spray on chalk ( line marking ) or spray on talcum powder to coat all the joining faces,
Run the engine for 10 minutes and look for a wet patch in the powder.
Good chance leaking head gasket , blocked breather or similar.