Export thread

HR214 no low speed and oil leak

Hsquad12

Hsquad12

I picked up an old HR214 that had been sitting for a couple of years for $10 so i could teach my Son how to work on small engines and flip mowers.

The motor was locked solid with very little oil in the case and i feared the worst but for once the engine Gods were smiling on us. :biggrin:
It took about 15 mins to drain the gas, remove the plug and get the motor free with a socket and breaker bar. Filled with fuel, some 10W-30 and five pulls and she was running. albeit like the Bizmark in a cloud of blue glory.
Once the smoke cleared i found the low gear was not working but the high gear dragged be round that yard in style.
i plan to put the trans/engine cover tomorrow to see whats happening but thought i'd ask if there is a simple/common trouble spot to look at first.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I also noticed its leaking oil from a seal at the bottom of the motor. Is that a simple/worthwhile gasket fix on a $10 mower?

thx all

reynoldston

reynoldston

I also noticed its leaking oil from a seal at the bottom of the motor. Is that a simple/worthwhile gasket fix on a $10 mower?

Good chance the lower seal dried out from sitting so long. Replace it, cost low and not hard to replace.

M

molson1939

Good chance the lower seal dried out from sitting so long. Replace it, cost low and not hard to replace.

I have a 30 year old HR214 which has been an excellent lawn mower. I had problems with the transmission not going into the low speed. I know there could be an adjustment problem, but I believe that the transmission is not lubricated properly. I drilled a hole in the top of the transmission and found a plug by which I could keep the dirt out. (I didn't think I needed to be concerned about any drill fillings since things run at fairly slow speed.) I then sprayed WD-40 in the hole and eventually transmission started working.

Since then my engine started leaking oil, I think at the top crank seal. Any thoughts?

B

bertsmobile1

Pull the flywheel off and check the seal'
If it is leaking clean every speck of rust off the shaft then give it a bright shiny polish dig the old one out.
put some vasoline on th shaft yo protect the seal and pop the new one in.