Export thread

How to prevent plastic blade snaping

jmurray01

jmurray01

No, this isn't a how-to on how to prevent plastic blades from snapping, it is a question!

Since the 3.5HP B&S temporarily biting the dust today, I will need to get my old 80's electric Qualcast Mow 'N' Trim out of the shed and use it to keep the grass reasonably tidy.

And, being a small electric mower, it typically takes plastic blades, which are fine, until they snap!

So basically, I've ordered 6 blades for it from eBay, but I don't want them all to snap and waste my money, so what can I do, pre, and during mow to prevent a blade snapage ?

K

KennyV

So you don't loose BKBrown's answer in your other post, I'll include it in part:
"if they snap just mowing and not hitting anything, I guess I'd look for better blades or see If you can put trimmer line on it."
If you are cutting too heavy of grass it will fatigue the light weight blades and they will fail...
So switch to a better blade like was suggested ... but almost anything will eventually crack and break... that trimmer was not intended to completely replace a proper mower... :smile:KennyV

jmurray01

jmurray01

So basically cut the grass before it gets too long ?

K

KennyV

So basically cut the grass before it gets too long ?

That sounds like the best plan... :smile:KennyV

CajunCub

CajunCub

Just don't hit anything:laughing:

twall

twall

Sounds to me like a very flawed design, in the name of cheapness. I'd bet there isn't ANYTHING you can do to prevent those blades from snapping left and right.

Plastic deck, plastic blade....what are these things - TOYS????

CajunCub

CajunCub

Maybe it's a Snapper:biggrin:

BKBrown

BKBrown

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :biggrin: :rolleyes:

twall

twall

I was waitin' for that.....:rolleyes:

BKBrown

BKBrown

R

resuwrecked

, so what can I do, pre, and during mow to prevent a blade snapage ?

get a metal blade?!

jmurray01

jmurray01

I bought a cheap set of 6 from eBay, and immediately regretted it, but decided to give them a chance anyway.

So, they came in the post yesterday, I put one in my Qualcast Mow 'N' Trim, mowed the entire back lawn (very large), tipped the mower back expecting at least some damage to the blade... Nope! Looked like new!

So, I did the front lawn (medium sized), and tipped it back, but it still looked like new!

That is two large/medium lawns cut, and the 1st blade I fitted is still fit for lots more use!

With the last set of blades I used, I would have been lucky to get both lawns cut using all 6 of them!

Not a bad job I must say :)

BKBrown

BKBrown

Good :thumbsup: -- Was there a brand name on them ? I don't have one of those mowers, but they might also make blades for string trimmers that some people here might want to use ?

jmurray01

jmurray01

They are Bosch.

BKBrown

BKBrown

I think the link I posted was Bosch from Amazon UK ?

Bosch usually makes good stuff ! :thumbsup: