HOW RARE IS IT? Snapper V18 Lawn Mower.

ThatMowerGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have found a Snapper that I have never came across or seen before.
It is a model V182 ( V18 series 2) Serial # is 72078774
3.5 hp briggs with heavy duty air cleaner.
18 inch cut cast aluminum deck.

It is just a basic little push mower, it starts right up usually on the first pull if not it starts on the second pull...
image1.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpg

Mow Joe

Threads
I would say it's pretty rare. We were Snapper dealers from 76-94. This mower was discontinued probably in the early 80s. I'm thinking we probably didn't sell more than 4 or 5 of them. If other dealers sold them at a rate similar to us, there's probably very few survivors out there.

Snapperfreak

Threads
Very cool! 1977 model. That's a keeper!

cashman

Threads
The V-18 was built to meet a GSA ( Gov't Services Administration) spec at the time. The GSA contract allowed federal, state, county, and municipal agency's to purchase equipment without having to issue a formal bid on each piece of equipment. The bid price was valid for one to two years. Our Snapper distributor issued an order to us from the state prison system one time and we were given a 5% handling fee for set-up and delivery for several V-18's. Snapper also listed them in the regular catalog and they were available to the general public. Although at a higher price than the Gov't could buy.

ThatMowerGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you all for the information!
The history of most rare older things is very very cool to me, I've been messing with small engines / mowers since my early teens and occasionally I come across some different, out of the ordinary things. Like this....
I picked this up from an estate sale next door to me and I had never seen the man use it in the 7-8 years I've lived at this house. It was stored inside with no gas, it had oil, so I sprayed some fogger oil in it and pulled it though a few times, then I put gas in it and it started and ran!
If you ask me, the old Briggs 3.5 hp engine was the best and longest lasting engine ever made!
I believe that it's simple design was the longest running production of any other one too!

I am not a collector by any means, I mean I think we all have the few that we like that we keep around, but I don't have a collection of a certain brand or anything.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The sprint engine was designed in the days of slide rules when longiviity & simplicity were a selling feature.
Thus it is so over engineered it is not funny and allows then to have a service life well over 50 years.
Now we have computers and can design an engine to a fixed number of running hours using 1/2 the weight of materials for 2 times the power output.
Some say it is an advancement, but Henry Ford proved conclusively that you mak more money selling a flimsey piece of kit that will only just hold together for long enough to outlive warranttee to everyone than flogging fewer higher priced higher profit units that will run forever.
The advent of computers, desktop designs ans simulated prototyping has taken Fords theory to whole new level.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
The sprint engine was designed in the days of slide rules when longiviity & simplicity were a selling feature.
Thus it is so over engineered it is not funny and allows then to have a service life well over 50 years.
Now we have computers and can design an engine to a fixed number of running hours using 1/2 the weight of materials for 2 times the power output.
Some say it is an advancement, but Henry Ford proved conclusively that you mak more money selling a flimsey piece of kit that will only just hold together for long enough to outlive warranttee to everyone than flogging fewer higher priced higher profit units that will run forever.
The advent of computers, desktop designs ans simulated prototyping has taken Fords theory to whole new level.

Since 1930 I believe when there was The Krash.

Very nice find and interesting thread!

Snapperfreak

Threads
Interesting indeed! Sure makes me glad I have a lot of old equipment that was, for the most part, built right.