How does CCs affect blade power and torque?

TobyU

Threads
I tried that. I only have the bag for the mower (just found it as I was cleaning out the garage the other day)

I tried to open the side discharge. I don't have a chute, so it just clogged immediately (I had a stick to hold it open). Same with the rear discharge, except it only clogged if I didn't set it to fully open. It worked better, but it still bogged down bad.

For all the people saying to set it to the highest setting: Duh. That was the first thing I did. 4" isn't really gonna make a difference to 18-24" grass cutting LOL. Even Hondas only go to 5 or 6"...
You should never really open one with the back open and even if you prop it up in just a little bit it still gets grass out of your feet and stuff is annoying. The stick method for the side works but typically not as well as the actual discharge flat. It should be able to order one online. They work quite nicely.

TobyU

Threads
Thanks for the question. I got my numbers from an online calculator. I'll admit I was a very skeptical. I did more research and found a number of sites that showed the divisor could be anywhere between 25 and 40. This makes a lot more sense to me. In the future, I'm going to stick with 40 and even that seems a little low
Classic example of why you shouldn't believe everything you find from google, we Wikipedia or online. Lol

I have literally worked on thousands of these mowers and I know plenty of people today are skeptical and don't like to believe anything a person says but I only speak in actual facts from experience.
If I don't know, I clearly tell somebody I really don't know but this is what I would try etc.

georgPru2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I want to get a mower engine and swap onto my little 21" 140cc Craftsman. I let my yard get way too high and went to mow it, but it was barely able to handle it, and I had to push it 2ft, backtrack 3, then go forward slowly.

Anyway, I was looking at a new mower, but they're all 150 or 170 or 163 cc (for the well rated ones. There's several 200ish cc ones for outrageous money, or with like 2 stars.

So, I'm curious. How much does engine CC actually do? Will I notice a difference between my 140cc and a 150? What about 163 or 170? Where would I need to go to buy a bigger engine that I could just swap onto the mower?
CC refers to engine size, not horsepower. Before B&S went and started measuring horsepower differently, all U.S. made equipment was measured in cu inches. If you are mulching/bagging too tall grass, NO LAWN MOWER [save a 2 cycle Lawnboy] will cut that mess. Just get cut short, and use your old machine. CC=cubic centimeter, and cu inch= cubic inches.