How do I remove this pinion and bearing?

Maxrevs

Threads
I have a Tanaka THT-2000 hedge trimmer which the owner left out in the rain. Water got into the gear case and rusted-up the drive pinion bearing. It's taken several days of soaking with penetrating oil and "gentle persuasion" to free it off. It's turning now but it's rough & notchy and needs replacing. Problem is, I can't get the darn thing out.

With it being set in an aluminium (aluminum) case I daren't clamp it too tight nor hit it too hard, nor can I heat up the ally case to expand it. You can see on the reverse side of the case is the clutch drum, so I presume the bearing can only come out in one direction.

How do I extract the damaged bearing without wrecking the gear case in the process?

Tanaka gearcase 1.jpgTanaka gearcase 2.jpgTanaka gearcase 3.jpgTanaka gearcase parts.png

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get a temp probe (better DVMs have them) or use an infra red temp gun on the al part. Slowly heat not to exceed 300F. This should not upset the grain structure. (Blind transmission bearings can be removed in the kitchen oven set at 300F -do it early so soulmate does not know).

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like you need to use hydraulic press to remove & reinstall new assembly, use 2 x 4's under housing making sure everything is level, small impact socket or extension bar between press & pinion shaft, go slowly, Safety Glasses for safety.

Maxrevs

Threads
Thanks for the great suggestions guys, worked a treat. :drink:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the great suggestions guys, worked a treat. :drink:

So where are you taking SWMBO to dinner because she won't use the oven till you have cleaned it mirror bright :laughing::laughing:

Maxrevs

Threads
LOL :laughing:

No point cleaning it yet . . .

. . . I've got some more parts to put in there :cool2: