Hours Meter

George Kolar

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a Grasshopper 227/61 which I purchased new in 2006. I currently have 435 hours on the meter. When the engine failed to start today, I purchased a new battery which solved my problem. Upon looking at the meter I noticed that it now read 505 hours or 70 hours more than last week. How does that happen? Replacing a battery in a car sometimes messes up the clock or the radio----could a dead battery cause the hours meter on my Grasshopper to change? If so, how do I fix it?

Thanks,
George Kolar

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello George... Welcome to LMF....

Well I know why your battery was dead.....

Someone either:
Tried to start it, and the battery was low, so it didn't start & they then accidentally left the key on, thus completely depleting the battery.
OR the last time it had a full battery someone left the key ON and that then ran the battery down...

You need a full 12 volts to run the starter, you don't need that much to run the hour meter...
Also... you can not reset a Hobbs meter... once it racks up the time there is no taking it off, If accuracy in hours history is important to you, make a note in your maintenance log....
Don't feel bad a LOT of construction equipment has ran up hundreds of hours setting on job sites after being rained in, at times a week or more could run up, big equipment has BIG batteries, they will tun an hour meter for mths before running down... :smile:KennyV

George Kolar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kenny V

Thanks. I think you hit the nail on the head. I must have left the key on.

George

fastback

Threads
The samething recently happend to me. The very first time I used the new tractor I somehow left the ignition on over night. It had 18 hours when in fact I only had 1.5 hours of use. I unpluged the nour meter and recorded my usage until I had the additional 16.5 hours on the machine and then repluged the meter. Today I have 32 hours on the machine and the season is only half done. So far I haven't forgotton the switch on again.

Edwards saw service

Threads
Just to piggy back on what KennyV said, you need at least 10 volts to crank and engine the starter motors rpm on a 12 v system will decrease at about 9.5 volts.

Sent from Lawn Mower Forum for iPhone.

George Kolar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fastback,

Thanks for the feedback. I like your idea to unplug hours meter ---keep track of the overstated hours and than reconnect. Just one question---how do I unplug the meter?

George Kolar

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
On back of the meter... BUT on most, it is deliberately not easy to get to... :smile:KennyV

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the Grasshopper Forum. :smile:

fastback

Threads
Mine was easey to get to. The rear of the meter has a plug just disconnet. Like Kenny said, I'm sure that most are much harder to get at. Good luck.