Export thread

honda hrx217hya idle problem.

K

kevin32

2013 Honda hrx2174hya mower will die when move from fast to slow idle. I recently tighten the idle screw 2-3 turn and now it will idle on slow. I was wondering if this is a good fix or do I need to take it to a local Honda dealer? I also notice when I engage the blade the engine seem like it want to die and sometime it just shutoff. It usually take 2-3 try to get the engine to start. I check the auto choke, and it work fine (close when cold, open when hot). I bought it used and haven't mow with it yet. Could it be a bent shaft?? I've already change the oil, new filter, new spark plug, and fresh gas. I also took apart the carburetor and clean it. also please see if the mower is still under warranty.

serial no. maga-2314005 (hrx2174hya)

thank you.

M

mechanic mark

OEM Parts : CyclePartsNation Honda Parts Nation

Honda Power Equipment HRX217K4 HYAA CARBURETOR | CyclePartsNation Honda Parts Nation I would first replace fuel filter item 3 which is located inside fuel line at fuel tank connection & return idle screw back to where it was. Check springs for governor & throttle for being stretched out & see if they are working properly. You may need to adjust throttle & blade engagement cables if they are adjustable. I would also adjust valves to Honda mfg. specs. with engine cold. Turn off fuel to carburetor petcock, place mower on its side with carburetor side up & clean underside of mower deck & remove & inspect blade after cleaning it up for cracks, being bent, nicks, etc. If blade looks ok dress it up with a file & reinstall & torque bolts to 40 ft. lbs. Post all numbers from engine from data plate.

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/00X31VH7J020.pdf read through this manual

K

kevin32

I did exactly what u said. thank you so much for the help. I discover someone open the carburetor and forgot to put a air cleaner gasket on. No wonder my mower backfire and sometime take 2-3 pull to start. I've already order brand new gasket and I hope it will help. again thank you.

M

mechanic mark

Let us know how it goes, thanks for responding.

M

mlf149

HRX217K4 HYAA Surge and Idle

Hello,

Re-starting an old thread but same type of issue. Bought the mower in 2014 and did un-box it until Summer 2015. I used it for about 2 hours in 2015.

This Summer (2016) it ran fine for the first 2-3 hours, then I noticed engine surge while full-throttle, but not under any load (blades off). Moving the throttle to SLOW, it immediately stails out. It runs fine at FULL throttle and under load.

I removed the carb, and completely cleaned all passages, nothing was clogged. Reassembled, ran fine for 10 mins, then started surging. I emptied the fuel, and put in fresh gas. Same, ran fine for a little, then started surging.

This was an expensive mower to have any issues so early. I'm about to replace the carb but I wanted to see if anyone had another idea.

Thanks!

Mike