Honda HRX217HMA Ground Speed (Change Cable) Lever Not Staying in Position

pstrickey

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda HRX217HMA Ground Speed (Change Cable) Lever Not Staying in Position
I have a 2005 Honda HRX217HMA, MAGA-1196621, that only recently will not stay at a constant ground speed when mowing. I will move the change cable lever to a faster setting, but in a minute or two the lever moves by itself to a much slower ground speed. I adjusted the change cable tighter (it will not now adjust any further), thinking this would prevent the lever from moving by itself, but I now assume the cable has stretched and needs to be replaced? There are several YouTube videos to replace the change cable, but wanted to make sure this is what it needed before ordering the parts and attempting the cable replacement. If the change cable needs to be replaced, would it be wise to also replace the drive belt since this is the original belt, even though the current belt appears to be okay, Thank you for your help on this.

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take pictures with your phone if you choose before removing drive cable assembly for replacement. Inspect all parts for wear & replace as necessary. I would inspect belt for replacement. Let us know how it goes, thanks Mark
Items 7, 19, 20, & 23 Shift Cable, not drive cable my mistake, disassemble before ordering. Inspect all parts for replacement, from what you described item 7 return spring may be distorted or broken not allowing transmission shift cable to remain in position. Also inspect items 5 & 8 wheel tension spring while you are there, thanks Mark

Last edited:

pstrickey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take pictures with your phone if you choose before removing drive cable assembly for replacement. Inspect all parts for wear & replace as necessary. I would inspect belt for replacement. Let us know how it goes, thanks Mark
Mechanic Mark: Thank you for your reply; am I correct to assume from what I describe above the drive cable needs to be replaced? Thanks also for the link to parts from honda parts nation, they are great! This forum is an excellent way to learn about your Honda Lawnmowers and I have used it very often in the past. Thanks again, Paul

pstrickey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mechanic Mark: Thank you for your reply; am I correct to assume from what I describe above the drive cable needs to be replaced? Thanks also for the link to parts from honda parts nation, they are great! This forum is an excellent way to learn about your Honda Lawnmowers and I have used it very often in the past. Thanks again, Paul
Thanks again for your reply and I will do as you describe above.
Paul