Honda HRX 217 engine noise after crankshaft change.

Bphillippe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda HRX 217 G5HYAA mower that I replaced the crankshaft on. The guy who had it before me hit something and beyond the shaft. I got it torn apart and replaced the shaft and cleaned everything up. Use the Honda seal material and got the mower back together. We used a drill to test it first without the spark plug in and it turned very smoothly and made no noise except for the compression of the piston. When I placed the OEM spark plug into the mower and tried to crank it again there was a knocking sound inside of the crank case. We checked all the timing marks and the lifters and the sound did not come from that area. I even removed the lifter cover and listen to it has he turned the motor. I’m Trying to find out if anyone has had this happened or what you think I should do next.

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you have oil in engine before turning over? I suggest purchasing Honda Engine Shop Repair Manual for your specific engine with step by step instructions.
They have best OEM Honda prices & ship fast to your door.
Disassembly, inspection of all parts & measurements, ordering parts, honing- preparation of cylinder block, heads, etc., reassembly with oil after letting cases set up overnight adding oil, compression test, etc.
You can borrow most special tools from auto parts stores by leaving a deposit & getting full return when you return tools. Shop Repair Manual is worth it's weight in gold & I suggest you purchase parts from Honda Parts Nation, let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark
Take a picture of all engine model & serial numbers to purchase correct manual.

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know but did you possibly swap the piston 180 degrees? They usually have an offset and that can cause a knock if they are on backwards in many engines.

Bphillippe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't know but did you possibly swap the piston 180 degrees? They usually have an offset and that can cause a knock if they are on backwards in many engines.
We did not pull the piston. We moved it slightly to get the crankshaft out but put everything back to where it was when we opened it.