Honda HRR216 will not self propel

topcorner18

Forum Newbie
Threads
Background - my mower's right rear drive wheel stopped rolling when trying to pivot and turn around. Dsassembled (which I have done in the past) and found the small dust cover (I think that's what it is) had been pushed away from the wheel hub and was about a 1/2" out along the drive shaft. Found the bushing was also worn but the unit would roll backward and forward with engine off and would self-propel when engine on a drive engaged. That wheel just wouldn't roll during pivot (basically turning the unit around) so I would end up "horsing" the mower around to go in the other direction.

I replaced the dust cover, bushing, cleaned everything reassembled and now the mower will not self-propel. I can manually push it forward and pull it back (it does the clicking when pulled in reverse so I believe I have the gear oriented properly).

I installed a new belt and adjusted the drive cable tension but no luck.

With the mower on the bench, I can manually rotate the wheels and see the transmission belt wheel turning and I can pull on the belt and get the wheels to turn but if I put any tension on the belt (mower not running), I can no longer turn the wheels. Figure that is just me trying to turn the engine as well.

So I took off the transmission cover and all the gears look brand new, engaged properly and turned freely.

I am stumped and could use any thoughts you folks may have.

Thank you in advance.

I had replaced the transmission a few years ago and everything had been working fine.

upupandaway

Threads
(it does the clicking when pulled in reverse
no. The ratchet clicks when u push the mower fwd. Pull back is the same as engine driving the mower - no click. Then again, if so, it would be hard to push forward.

topcorner18

Forum Newbie
Threads
no. The ratchet clicks when u push the mower fwd. Pull back is the same as engine driving the mower - no click. Then again, if so, it would be hard to push forward.
Thank you Thank you Thank you. I swear I watched several videos which showed the gears went the way I had them. Turned them around and away we went... I am back in action and the mower is now running like new. I have trouble keeping up with the self propel speed!