Honda HRR Mower Stud

billroy1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I have a 20 year old HRR2164TDA Ser. MZCG7726175 mower. I need to replace the pull starter. The forward of the 3 removal nuts along with the stud itself just spins (stripped) Anybody run into this before? Not much room to get under the red plastic engine cover to try to get a wrench or anything under it. I tried to drill a small hole in the stud to use a small ez-out as a backup to break the nut loose but that was "Duh" backwards did not work.
Any thoughts

woodstover

Threads
Just keep spinning the nut/stud out ccw and then remove the red plastic cover. (Don't lose the 3 metal spacers in the cover) Then you can remove the nut from the stud. Re-install the stud with red loctite and re-assemble. The front stud holds the coil in place so you'll have to reset the clearance of the coil. If the stud is stripped you'll need a 6 x 1.00mm helicoil repair.

Last edited:

billroy1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just keep spinning the nut/stud out ccw and then remove the red plastic cover. (Don't lose the 3 metal spacers in the cover) Then you can remove the nut from the stud. Re-install the stud with red loctite and re-assemble. The front stud holds the coil in place so you'll have to reset the clearance of the coil. If the stud is stripped you'll need a 6 x 1.00mm helicoil repair.
Thank you, was easy actually. I do have another question, Do you know what the coil gap is supposed be in inches. All I could find online is business cards or the box the coil came in but I don't have business cards these days. It must not be that critical so I set it to .016 with feeler gauges and it runs ok but I would like to set it to proper specs
Thanks again

woodstover

Threads
.008 - .024" Coil distance from flywheel magnet. You are bang on in the middle. Good job!

billroy1

Forum Newbie
Threads
.008 - .024" Coil distance from flywheel magnet. You are bang on in the middle. Good job!
Wow, I will remember this one, I Googled "Thickness of business cards" to come up with .016 and set it at that to see if it runs, it just worked out
Thanks again for your help!