Honda HRM215SXA governor problem

braves

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine is GXV140-135. I replaced the pan gasket due to oil leaking and the governor does not seem to be working now. The external governor arm moves freely, as it should, but when I start the engine it runs at full throttle - and beyond. I have to manually grab the governor arm to keep the engine to run out of control.

When I move the throttle lever back all the way it shuts down, as expected. However, there is basically no automatic control over the engine rpm between lo and hi throttle.

The springs and linkage appear to be ok. That is, there is no obvious damage. But then, I'm not sure I would know by sight if something was a little off.

I do not have a shop manual, Does anyone know if there was something I was supposed to do with the position of internal governor arm when I put the pan back on?

Next step would be to recalibrate the governor linkage, but I will wait to see if there is a response to my question before I try that; I've tried to adjust governor linkage on other engines and have not had a lot of success.

Here is a link to an online parts diagrams of the mower.
OEM Parts

tks

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Honda Forum. :smile:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The engine is GXV140-135. I replaced the pan gasket due to oil leaking and the governor does not seem to be working now. The external governor arm moves freely, as it should, but when I start the engine it runs at full throttle - and beyond. I have to manually grab the governor arm to keep the engine to run out of control.

Here's a couple of pages from the shop manual to help confirm you got it all back together correctly.

There was a old service bulletin for that mower regarding the oil defense pipe that would fall out and cause engine speed problems. I've included it FYI, but may not apply to your mower exactly.

Attachments

• hrm215 gov page 1.jpg
    hrm215 gov page 1.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 132
  • hrm215 gov page 2.jpg
    hrm215 gov page 2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 115
  • hrm oil defense pipe.pdf
    111.3 KB · Views: 71

braves

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert,
Thanks much for you help. The oil defense tube seemed to be securely in place when I put the engine back together, so I guessed that it was not the problem. Then I checked the governor linkage as shown in the pdf you provided. That looked OK, so I next went through the procedure to re-calibrate the governor.

When I restarted the engine it ran fine. That was a surprise, because when I did the recalibration it seemed like I didn't actually change anything. That is, the governor shaft was already as far clockwise as it could go, so I just rotated a little ccw, then fully cw again.

However, I did take the gas tank and air filter housing off when I checked the linkage so that I could see all of it. So who knows, maybe the linkage was hanging up in that area. At any rate, the engine is now running fine.

Thanks again, the pdf's were very helpful.