Honda HR215 SXA Loose Crankshaft (with video)

SpikeyGG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Background: this mower was my neighbors for all of its life. A few months ago, one of the rear wheels had sheered off after years of it scraping along the frame. The frame literally cut through the axel! Anyway, my neighbor bought a fancy new electric mower and when I was over there, I saw his old busted Honda and he asked if I wanted it... I said "YES!". I've always wanted a Honda mower! I took it all apart and figured out what I needed -- it was like $200 in parts but I ordered them and put it all back together and I was in business! This is a REALLY nice mower compared to the Craftsman I have used for the last two decades.

So, this past weekend I was out mowing my lawn with it. I got almost done and the mower's engine starts slowing down... it's not heavy grass and it sounds like something is going wrong so I kill it quick. I check the oil dipstick and it's dry! I checked it before I start mowing every time and there WAS oil on it when I started. I ran back to the shed and grabbed the fresh oil, I put some oil in it and start it up, it fires up and sounds good. I kill it and check the oil and it's empty again. I tip the mower up on it's side to check out underneath and there's a huge oil slick under the mowing area!! The oil is just gushing down from all around the clutch. FML! I finished the yard with my Craftsman.

I tore into it and got all the way to the main seal. It had just popped out of its bore! That's why the oil just came spilling out everywhere. I got a replacement seal, it just arrived today. I just went out to put it on and something struck me. Whenever I'm pushing the mower around on my bumpy lawn, it makes a kind of popping sound like something is loose. It's been bugging me because I can't figure out where the popping noise is coming from but I think I may have discovered it.

The crankshaft has vertical play in it. I took a short video of it so you can see, it's probably only like 1/16" of movement but I think it's enough to make the popping noise and I think it probably contributed to the main seal walking down out of its bore with gravity assisting it.

Anyway, my question is: any idea why this might happen? AND is there anything I can do to fix it aside from rebuilding the whole engine?

Thanks for reading.
-SpikeyGG

HRA214

Forum Newbie
Threads
have you solve the problem yet? if so, what was the issue out of curiosity?

I'm no expert, but have an HR214 rebuilt engine. I would hate to remove the blade clutch, and check how much play I have, or if any at all.

in my opinion, you could try checking the flywheel bolt and see if it's tight to spec. and once you put the blade clutch on make sure it's tight to spec.

if it's still doing the same thing. there's a possibility that the Piston rod screws may be loose? those are the only things I can think of.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Crankshaft endplay is normal, inspect new seal. Make sure crankshaft is free from rust, burrs, etc. you can use a piece of fine grit sandpaper to clean up crankshaft & seal bore. Apply Locktite Blue just to outside diameter of new seal & install, let it set up overnight, check & adjust oil level. Let us know how goes it, thanks Mark
Check large crankshaft nut 14mm at topside for being tight.
New oil seal should be item 38 above.

Last edited: