Export thread

Honda HR214 electric start battery

E

Ejd148

I just acquired a Honda hr214 SMA with electric start. I certainly don't need the electric start because it starts so easily with the pull cord but I want to get it working. I don't have the charger and assume the battery won't charge seeing that it's from the late 80's. I found a few places that sell stock replacements (which are pricey) but I was wondering if anyone knows of another battery that would work?

B

bertsmobile1

best thing you can get is a CYCLON pack.
These are individual 2V cells that do not self discharge over time and are capable of very high discharge & recharge rates.
You should see a lot of them on the used market as they are standard fitment in all portable gear used in airports and it is manditory ( down here any way ) to replace thes batteries at set hours which are about 1/3 way through the life span.
Otherwise google them .
They sell them prewired in packs for 6V 12V 18V 24V 32V & 50V

robert@honda

robert@honda

+1 for the Cyclon battery. They are brilliant quality and quite durable. Honda used a Cyclon battery on the first-gen electric start HRX mower, and would easily get 200+ starts out of a single charge. They are impressive, but not inexpensive. ($90 for a new one) :frown:

C

ChuckD

These are individual 2V cells that do not self discharge over time and are capable of very high discharge & recharge rates.
You should see a lot of them on the used market as they are standard fitment in all portable gear used in airports and it is manditory ( down here any way ) to replace thes batteries at set hours which are about 1/3 way through the life span.
Otherwise google them .
They sell them prewired in packs for 6V 12V 18V 24V 32V & 50V

i like the idea of the cyclone pack but the ones i found are that are the 12 volts that came in the hrx models will not fit in the battery location on my hr 214. They are much longer.. They are a different size battery all around.. has anyone modified their older mower to fit one of these batteries?

B

bertsmobile1

They make individual cells in every size that you can get a dry cell battery and a lot more.
No matter which one you buy they will be a series of 2V cells wired together
so it is a matter of going to a retailer who sells them with the battery holder from your mower and finding a way to fit 6 cells in it.
They can be used upside down, sideways longways , makes no diifference and you can even mix different ones together.
The 12 V packs are simply 6 cells wired together in a plastic holder normally 3 x 2 like the 6 on a dice,'
No reason why you can not do a different configuration,
Most come with a choice of solder tabs, screw on terminals and push on terminals.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Batteries Plus has them in shop here.

J

jp1961

Any hobby shop sells batteries that are used to start model airplane engines for 20-25 bucks. They are 12v. I have one on my Lawn-boy 8481AE and it works. Tower Hobbies sells them online if you don't happen to live by a hobby shop. Hobbico is the manufacturer.

Jeff

C

ChuckD

Nice, great info guys. Thats exactly what i was looking for.. I will look into this further...:thumbsup:

J

jp1961

This is the battery I have in my Lawn-boy, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSK06&P=7

Also comes in a slightly bigger 7 amp version.

See if you can determine the amperage of the original battery.

Jeff