Honda GCV190 Piston Rings

NJDan

Threads
I got a new piston and ring set for my lawn mower and I'm having a little trouble with the rings. There are 3 grooves in the piston and the bottom groove is for what I guess is called the oil ring. It consists of one solid ring plus 1 corrugated looking ring plus another solid ring like a sandwich. On the old piston all 3 of those rings fit in the lower groove but with the new piston only 2 of the 3 rings will fit.The corrugated ring is thick so that the upper ring kind of sits on top of it instead of in the groove. See photo maybe hard to tell. Is this OK?

Note that I am not talking about the other 2 rings that fit in the middle and upper grooves of the piston. Those are fine.

Attachments

• 20220306_122135.jpg
    20220306_122135.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 17

NJDan

Threads
HRX217K4HZAA
I removed the rings from the old piston (oil rings) and they are difficult to get back in, too.
There are some videos about this but none talk about what I'm seeing. I'm pretty sure I have the right parts. The 2 oil rings look identical in every way

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
did order the right ring set? They must order for correct serial number range. And according there is four different versions of this mower.

1646594616072.png

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Thats the mower model number, granted it should also pull the correct P/N's for the engine as well. But there are different serial # ranges.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Thats the mower model number, granted it should also pull the correct P/N's for the engine as well. But there are different serial # ranges.
Coorect as one of the serial ranges I pulled up had two different rings and pistons. The others are probably the same way.

NJDan

Threads
Sorry guys false alarm. I found a very high quality close up video and I immediately knew my problem. I did not put a nice long bead of oil into the groove before putting the rings in. What was impossible without oil became very easy. Lesson learned. I appreciate everybody taking the time to help me out.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Interesting, never done that before.
The more you know....