Honda 215 SX transmission repair

rtheriaque

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings folks,

I recently picked up a Honda 215 SX (MZAM-6141271) off Craigslist. I've rebuilt the carb and it runs beautifully, but the self propel doesn't work.

The clutch cable was cut by a careless handle fold at some point, but in replacing it I found that the lever acting on the knurled gear on the transmission was spinning freely. It seems like the splines on the transmission's knob are stripped. The splined shaft also seems to have a lot of travel- if I pull on it, the shaft will, with resistance, pull out a bit, revealing a snap ring. Looks like bad news.

I'm order to do anything with it, I'll need to pull the transmission (planned for later today). If anybody has any tricks on that, I'd appreciate it.

Can that splined shaft be replaced, or will it need a new transmission? Given the choice, I can probably weld a stud or something else to it for the cable to act on in the meantime. Any "approved" jerry-rig fixes here?

Thanks for your time!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Greetings folks,

I recently picked up a Honda 215 SX (MZAM-6141271) off Craigslist. I've rebuilt the carb and it runs beautifully, but the self propel doesn't work.

The clutch cable was cut by a careless handle fold at some point, but in replacing it I found that the lever acting on the knurled gear on the transmission was spinning freely. It seems like the splines on the transmission's knob are stripped. The splined shaft also seems to have a lot of travel- if I pull on it, the shaft will, with resistance, pull out a bit, revealing a snap ring. Looks like bad news.

I'm order to do anything with it, I'll need to pull the transmission (planned for later today). If anybody has any tricks on that, I'd appreciate it.

Can that splined shaft be replaced, or will it need a new transmission? Given the choice, I can probably weld a stud or something else to it for the cable to act on in the meantime. Any "approved" jerry-rig fixes here?

Thanks for your time!

A whole new trans. is available (Part Number 2001-VA3-J04) but lists for $400 (gulp). Many of the internal parts are also available from Honda; here's a list (see attached).

Google any part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area:
Find A Honda Dealer

Attachments

• MZAM-6141271 trans parts list.pdf
    209.7 KB · Views: 73

rtheriaque

Forum Newbie
Threads
I appreciate the link.

I tacked the original cable with a spot of weld and we're good to go. Sort of.

With the wheels off, the cable now engages the drive and the shaft turns. With any sort of load, however, it doesn't.

Based on a quick search of the forum, it looks like the most likely culprit is low or old transmission fluid, so it looks like the thing is coming back out. Is there anything else I should check while I'm in there? I'd like to get back to mowing the lawn!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Based on a quick search of the forum, it looks like the most likely culprit is low or old transmission fluid, so it looks like the thing is coming back out. Is there anything else I should check while I'm in there? I'd like to get back to mowing the lawn!

Inspect all the parts, clean, clean, clean, and clean again. Replace any worn or damaged parts. Keep it CLEAN when working and re-assembly.

Looking the parts list, it seems only #25 is discontinued and no longer available.

Good luck with the repairs.

Streamlight

Threads
I recently fixed a transmission on a HR215K1SXA , the only problem was that it would barely move in any of the three gears. After tearing it apart I found that the teeth on the 'driven clutch' (#7 in the diagram) had worn down, so after replacing it and all rubber seals it ran and operated fine. It wasn't a simple task but worth fixing.

rtheriaque

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found my problem in tearing it apart as well. The fork the cable acts on had to much play. I shimmed it with washers and it should be good.

If I can get the transmission back together...

When I split it a washer fell out. It's either 36 or 41 in the diagram listed above. No idea how it could just be loose in there. Either way, now that the fork is fixed I can't get the transmission halves together. Something internal is holding it up with an even 3/8" gap.

Is there a trick to closing these things back up? Do I need to be in a certain gear or orientation? I can't find the obstruction. The pins pressed in the axle are seized so I haven't separated the halves fully, but I can chop the little suckers off to split it if need be...

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is there a trick to closing these things back up? Do I need to be in a certain gear or orientation? I can't find the obstruction. The pins pressed in the axle are seized so I haven't separated the halves fully, but I can chop the little suckers off to split it if need be...

I'll ask the model engineer and see if he knows any shortcuts/tricks to make this easier.

There was one Service Bulletin back in 1998 about the clutch slipping; a countermeasure driven clutch made of forged steel resolve it. See attached.PDF for details.

Attachments

• hr215 driven clutch.pdf
    64.5 KB · Views: 74

Streamlight

Threads
Found my problem in tearing it apart as well. The fork the cable acts on had to much play. I shimmed it with washers and it should be good.

If I can get the transmission back together...

When I split it a washer fell out. It's either 36 or 41 in the diagram listed above. No idea how it could just be loose in there. Either way, now that the fork is fixed I can't get the transmission halves together. Something internal is holding it up with an even 3/8" gap.

I ended up buying the service manual for the particular mower, it was essential in getting everything put back together correctly.

rtheriaque

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ripped the thing out. I have a manual mower now.

"Simplify and add lightness." It worked for Lotus.

Thanks to those folks that helped out. All that's left is to figure out how to decouple the driveshaft at the motor so it's not flopping around.

Gsnod

Threads
Hello --

Pull back the rubber cover and there is a clip that you take off with a pair of pliers. Under that is a pin. Knock out the pin with a small chisel and the shaft will come off.